• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands 30-year Rail Strategy: 2018-47

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDee

I will point out the Burton terminating services make sense from a commuting perspective. Lots of folks from Brum and Tamworth have moved into this general area buying cheaper homes in Stretton and Swadlincote, placing them within a five mile drive/bus commute of the rail head.

Burton once had two bay platforms to the north and south. The south facing served the leicester-burton branchline and the north for the egginton branch owned by the North Staffs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member

Richard_B

6tph at every station between Moor St and Dorridge sounds lovely but is also comical without redoubling, which won't/can't happen, or kicking out XC and freight paths. And even then, one sniff of a delay and the timetable will collapse into pieces.

Leo1961

http://www.westmidlandsrail.com/media/14045/west-midlands-rail-report-final-version-jan-2019.pdf

The final version has been published back in January 2019.

One question would there be a case for a direct link from Nottingham to Reading instead of just Leicester to Coventry calling at: East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester, Hinckley, Coventry, Kenilworth, Leamington Spa, Banbury, Oxford, Didoct Parkway and Reading. Or at least as far as Oxford to Nottingham.

And there is no point missing Nuneaton as the train would need to change direction there without massive expenditure on some form of avoiding line.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
http://www.westmidlandsrail.com/media/14045/west-midlands-rail-report-final-version-jan-2019.pdf

The final version has been published back in January 2019.

One question would there be a case for a direct link from Nottingham to Reading instead of just Leicester to Coventry calling at: East Midlands Parkway, Loughborough, Leicester, Hinckley, Coventry, Kenilworth, Leamington Spa, Banbury, Oxford, Didoct Parkway and Reading. Or at least as far as Oxford to Nottingham.

And there is no point missing Nuneaton as the train would need to change direction there without massive expenditure on some form of avoiding line.

As Crosscountry have aspirations to send the present day Newcastle - Reading via Coventry instead of the existing route via Solihull, for a potential Nottingham - Reading link I would consider the possibility of running it via Bedford and East West Rail (that suggestion could be expanded further in the EWR thread so as to save going off topic too much).

The Planner

Veteran Member
6tph at every station between Moor St and Dorridge sounds lovely but is also comical without redoubling, which won't/can't happen, or kicking out XC and freight paths. And even then, one sniff of a delay and the timetable will collapse into pieces.
Why can't re-quading happen? chuck cash at it and you could 4 track some of it, though I agree 6tph is just a pipe dream.

vlad

Have I misread the map or are they planning to scrap through trains between Manchester and Bristol?

Richard_B

Why can't re-quading happen? chuck cash at it and you could 4 track some of it, though I agree 6tph is just a pipe dream.

Prohibitively expensive, so yes, can't might not be quite the right word. But definitely highly, highly unlikely.

vlad

Where did you get this. There are no plans to do so it just shows services in the West Midlands.

Figure 13 on page 29 shows the Wolverhampton to Coventry corridor, including the WCML.

The 2018 map shows 2 fast trains per hour from Manchester to Birmingham NS, of which 1 continues on to Coventry and Reading and 1 to Bristol. I assume these are the present XC services but of course the map is diagrammatic.

The 2034 map still shows 2 fast trains per hour from Manchester to Birmingham but both continue on to Coventry and Reading. I'm assuming therefore Bristol is being crossed off the map but it might just be ignoring something that isn't going to be covered by the West Midlands franchise.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Figure 13 on page 29 shows the Wolverhampton to Coventry corridor, including the WCML.

The 2018 map shows 2 fast trains per hour from Manchester to Birmingham NS, of which 1 continues on to Coventry and Reading and 1 to Bristol. I assume these are the present XC services but of course the map is diagrammatic.

The 2034 map still shows 2 fast trains per hour from Manchester to Birmingham but both continue on to Coventry and Reading. I'm assuming therefore Bristol is being crossed off the map but it might just be ignoring something that isn't going to be covered by the West Midlands franchise.

More like to be just something that has not been covered on the West Midlands Franchise.

Also on the 2034 map the Reading-Newcastle services change to go via Coventry and therefore it is shown because there will be changes to that service, where as Bristol Services are not affected by any change proposed.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Car parks presumably unless you are going to put them on a deck.
Again, depends on what you 4 track again, I doubt it would be all of it, probably Lapworth to Acocks Green and you only have to deal with Widney Manor.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member

Aictos

Established Member
Coventry South, Galley Common, Alrewas, Kingsbury, Castle Brom and The Fort are no more than fag packets and crayons. Old Hill has summed up the others. The rest will either happen or are at a significant level of planning.

So Safari Park is likely to happen?

NeilNX

Interesting too see 6tph for lichfield city and trent valley, be a imrpovement especially for trent valley which i guess is going to bring the old platform 4 back into life. Be nice too see alrewas return as a station. With NMA next door and the visitors it recieves should be welcomed
It mentions train lengthing would that mean platform lengthing as though cross city were limited to 6 cars and the 323s replacements to pretty much be like for like basis

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It mentions train lengthing would that mean platform lengthing as though cross city were limited to 6 cars and the 323s replacements to pretty much be like for like basis
My interpretation would be it suggests a greater proportion of current services will be 6 car formations, rather than any platform extensions. I understand lengthening beyond 6x23m is problematic due to signalling and spatial constraints.

How much of this is actually funded and likely to happen? Or is it merely a wishlist?
Adding to the previous posts by @Old Hill Bank and @The Planner, from a brief glance at the document linked and the overview on page 18, in terms of new stations (feel free to correct me):
  • Worcestershire Parkway (under construction, opening 2019/20)
  • Camp Hill Line (under advanced development I understand)
  • Willenhall & Darlaston (under development)
I know the plans for University will most likely be going ahead once funding is secured as it is quite a priority in terms of implementation (due to current crowding issues). The others as already mentioned are far less likely for the time being.

Last edited:

bionic

I'm not sure what to make of this document. It clearly puts the Stoke loop under the seperable WMT business unit (which fits in with the orange colour scheme at Stone that many have remarked upon, as I think many assumed this line would be LNR) but then it also lists Wedgewood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge stations, implying they are open when they've all been closed for years.

Substance seems to be very thin on the ground in this document. Most of it just seems to be nice looking infographics thar don't really give any depth or context. The fact it lists a load of closed stations on the map makes me question the accuracy of the rest of it.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I'm not sure what to make of this document. It clearly puts the Stoke loop under the seperable WMT business unit (which fits in with the orange colour scheme at Stone that many have remarked upon, as I think many assumed this line would be LNR) but then it also lists Wedgewood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge stations, implying they are open when they've all been closed for years.

Substance seems to be very thin on the ground in this document. Most of it just seems to be nice looking infographics thar don't really give any depth or context. The fact it lists a load of closed stations on the map makes me question the accuracy of the rest of it.

Barlaston and Wedgwood are ‘legally open’ but no services have called since 2004 with a permanent replacement bus service replacing them. Norton Bridge was similar but officially closed in December 2017 and the bus service cease in March 2019. Barlaston is expected to reopen in 2020/21. Wedgwood will officially close soon after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.