• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Day Ranger Bash 22/3/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoniC

After the success of our Lancashire Day Ranger bash last year, me and Polarbear decided to do a West Midland Day Ranger bas.
We drove to Crewe to start and buy our tickets (£27.30 each).
The plan was to start by getting the 09.07 to New Street however our plans were scuppered by the signal failure at Milton Keynes - instead we caught a delayed and very full Voyager to try to get to New St, but at Stafford we were asked to leave and catch a LNWR train , which we did - and this one was rammed and delayed getting to New St.
Once at New St , Polarbear went to the Ian Allen shop while I fed & watered myself, once he returned we went to Bromsgrove and back and the met Mag_Seven at New St.
We walked to Moor St to catch a train to Leamington Spa (very nice LCHS stock !), we then went to Stratford Upon Avon and where planning to go to Whitlock`s End but due to a bridge strike we were diverted to Moor St via Dorridge.
Once we got to New St , we parted company and me & Polarbear decided to make our way home.
We first got a rammed Voyager to Wolverhampton so we changed at Wolverhampton and caught a LNWR train to Crewe, where we got there about 5pm.
Polarbear gave me a lift to Birkenhead North where I got a train home.
The day was great fun and the ticket excellent value !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blinkbonny

It is good value, but don't forget the option of the West Midlands transport Day Tripper for less than 7 quid.

A slightly more limited area obviously, but also includes buses and the trams!

I used to swear by it till I got my senior travel pass!

Polarbear

Established Member
Just curious - asked by whom and and on what grounds?

We called at Stafford, though the VT Scotland-Euston via West Midlands services don’t normally call there. After a few minutes, the TM advised those travelling to Wolves & B’ham to alight there.

I presumed the idea was to send the voyager via the Trent Valley to get it in position to help service recovery after the signalling issues at Milton Keynes. However, the voyager ended up going via the West Midlands, and those decanted into the inevitability wedged 350 behind it were, to be fair, pretty stoic when I told them what had happened.

Suspect that control was up the wall & plans being changed on the go. We didn’t have any deadlines so it didn’t bother us, but it may have saved a bit of hassle for a few customers had they not had the extra change of train.

HOOVER29

It is good value, but don't forget the option of the West Midlands transport Day Tripper for less than 7 quid.

A slightly more limited area obviously, but also includes buses and the trams!

I used to swear by it till I got my senior travel pass!

I always use the West Mids day tripper ticket when doing Birmingham, great value for banging the trams out. Also reasonable coverage of the rail network around Birmingham by using the following TOC’s :
Transport for Wales, Chiltern Railways, Cross Country, East Midlands Trains, London Northwestern Railway, Virgin Trains.
Just go on the excellent GB rail rover site for ideas, prices & maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.