• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Day Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone have info on this? How much is a child one? Is it worth it? Could I do a lot of the West Midlands and get to/from Yorkshire in one day? How cheaply could I get from Todmorden to Birmingham and return (in one day, probably a saturday)? Thanks in advance. Any loosely relevent answers welcome! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
WMDR
£10.80 for a child

From Todmorden you're probably best off getting a ticket to either Stoke on Trent (£14.50 for a child) or Crewe (£11.80 child) and use the WMDR for onward travel to Birmingham.

I personally think it gives good value for money but then I live in Birmingham so it doesn't cost for me to get into the area

WMDR
£10.80 for a child

From Todmorden you're probably best off getting a ticket to either Stoke on Trent (£14.50 for a child) or Crewe (£11.80 child) and use the WMDR for onward travel to Birmingham.

I personally think it gives good value for money but then I live in Birmingham so it doesn't cost for me to get into the area

Alright cheers mate. Are those prices returns?

sonic2009

Established Member
West Midlands Day Ranger.

It's worth it for the price of £10.80 you can go as far as Northampton on the WCML.

You would be best off Starting from Stoke or Crewe if your in Todmorden.

Todmorden to Manchester Piccadilly £3.85 Any Permitted Off Peak Day Return

Manchester to Stoke £6.95 Any Permitted Off Peak Day Return
or Manchester to Crewe £6.15 Any Permitted Off Peak Day Return
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Alright cheers mate. Are those prices returns?

yes they are : see my post which offers a cheaper saving :)

tony_mac

Established Member
Assuming a weekend,
Todmorden to Littleborough £1.80 off-peak day return.

Littleborough to Kidsgrove, £8 Anytime return - and hopefully get the free upgrade to First Class on Virgin trains between Manchester and either Stoke or Crewe.

On Saturday and Sundays only, journeys from Kidsgrove via Macclesfield may travel via Stoke on Trent. This easement applies in both directions.

Assuming a weekend,
Todmorden to Littleborough £1.80 off-peak day return.

Littleborough to Kidsgrove, £8 Anytime return - and hopefully get the free upgrade to First Class on Virgin trains between Manchester and either Stoke or Crewe.

Cheers mate, how come you get free upgrades?

ANDYS

I would say that the WMDR is most certainly worth it. Me and my nine year old son used one in the holidays. £21 ish for me and £10ish for him and we had twelve hours going all over the place. We only did it for the trains so we managed to get from Tamworth (where we parked the car) to Bham, Coventry, Rugby, Stafford, Bham, Leamington (behind a 67), Bham, Rugby, Tamworth.

An excellent day out as you can see from the photo.

Go on, enjoy yourself:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 21

I would say that the WMDR is most certainly worth it. Me and my nine year old son used one in the holidays. £21 ish for me and £10ish for him and we had twelve hours going all over the place. We only did it for the trains so we managed to get from Tamworth (where we parked the car) to Bham, Coventry, Rugby, Stafford, Bham, Leamington (behind a 67), Bham, Rugby, Tamworth.

An excellent day out as you can see from the photo.

Go on, enjoy yourself:D:D

Thanks mate. Looks like you had a good time. I'd mainly be doing it for visiting places but I will certainly have a ride on the class 139 & class 172 (Haven't been on either). A ride on a Chiltern DVT+MK3+67 set would be desirable as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The route I'm roughly plotting in my head goes as follows. Todmorden- Manchester- Stoke- Wolvo- Smethick G Br- Stourbridge Jnc- Stourbridge Town- Stourbridge Jnc- Worcester- B'ham NS- Nuneaton- Coventry- Lemington Spa- B'ham Snow Hill - Smethick G Br- B'ham NS- Rugely TV/Lichfield TV/Tamworth- Stoke- Manchester- Todmorden.
Have I missed anything decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.