• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomThePlonker

The franchise goes up for bidding in 2007 I think it is. I have two questions which I was hoping that maybe you guys (and girls) could answer for me. Could the franchise be run by more than one company or will it be run by one company as a whole? Do you think that maybe virgin trains would be intrested in the local services around birmingham? If you have anymore information on this franchise please share it with me.

Thanks Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Table 52

My understanding is that the West Midlands franchise will be one franchise, same as any other. As such, the whole thing will be run by one company although there's nothing to stop two forming a joint bid (like Stagecoach/Virgin do with Virgin Trains)

It's very difficult to say exactly who will be interested, I wouldn't have thought Virgin as the franchise is a step away from their traditional 'Intercity' nature. I would expect the usual suspects of National Express (who currently run most of it through Silverlink/Central) First, and some strange joint bid involving a freight company. You may also find stagecoach making a bid on their own (like South West Trains).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just been reading the Franchise spec.

introduction of a new hourly London – Crewe semi-fast service operated by Desiro trains.
This is proposed to call at Watford Jn., Milton Keynes, Northampton, Long Buckby,
Rugby, Nuneaton, Atherstone, Tamworth, Lichfield Trent Valley, Rugeley Trent Valley,
Stafford and Crewe. Subject to further assessment of demand, timetabling and resources,
it may be possible to extend certain services to/from Liverpool. Subject to platform
access works by third parties and discussion with local stakeholders, it may be possible
for calls at Polesworth to be substituted for calls at Atherstone

introduction of a new hourly Birmingham – Manchester semi-fast service operated by
Desiro trains. This is proposed to call at Wolverhampton, Penkridge (peak hours only),
Stafford, Stone, Stoke-on-Trent, Congleton, Macclesfield, Prestbury, Adlington, Poynton,
Bramhall, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport. Calls may also be possible at certain stations
between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, and at Kidsgrove.

re-introduction of an all-day 2 trains per hour Northampton – Birmingham service;

operation of a regular hourly Birmingham – Liverpool service with Desiro trains. These are
proposed to call at Wolverhampton, Penkridge, Stafford, Crewe, Winsford, Hartford,
Runcorn, and the new Liverpool South Parkway station. Calls may also be possible at
certain stations between Birmingham and Wolverhampton and limited calls, as currently,
are proposed to be made at Acton Bridge. It is proposed that the current additional
Birmingham – Crewe/Liverpool/Preston services operated on this corridor will be replaced
by the new hourly Birmingham – Manchester semi-fast service;

to curtail the hourly Birmingham – Walsall – Cannock – Stafford service at Rugeley Trent
Valley from December 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.