• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands line coverage 03/01/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubenutter

My 2007 rail travel has begun...

Ascot and I met in Birmingham yesterday for me to do some line coverage of the WM area.

I got on the 0920 350 Desiro from Rugby to Birmingham New Street where i met Ascot. We walked to Moor Street station and arrived on the London-bound platform (I forgot the number) just as our 1015 train was pulling in. We got off the 168 at Banbury and went up to find out when the next Oxford train was. It was the 1118 Virgin Voyager train. At Oxford I bought myself a copy of the NRT from Smiths' and we continued onward to Worcester Foregate Street, travelling on a minorly delayed FGW 180 where I had my lunch. We needed to get to Worcester Shrub Hill. Ascot insisted, despite the fact that the return journey of the 180 we had just got off would have been clearly quicker, that we should walk. We got lost. Walking quickly accelerated to running and we watched the 1347 service via Kidderminster and Stourbridge (I didn't see the destination). We had to wait but fortunately there was a train 10 minutes later at 1357. The train had a timetable 9 minute wait at Kidderminster, so Ascot took advantage, running over to 'Captain Cod' and back returning with some nice smelling chips and a sausage. We left the train at Stourbridge Junction to cover the line to Stourbridge Town, and we ran out across the platforms just as the train at 1439 was leaving. So we waited until 1454, rode on the train and returned with the driver leaving the cab door open for half the short journey so we could see out the front window. Apparently there was something significant about the fact that this was train 153333 -- ask Ascot. Off this train at Stourbridge Junction we got onto another 150 which left for Birmingham at 1509. Arriving into Moor Street at 1540, we had time for a trip to Walsall and back to cover the lines both via Aston, and not via Aston. Due to a fatality at Smethwick GB trains were being routed via Walsall so on the way back we decided it safer to get the train back via Aston (so that we could make our connections home) as well so the direct route was not covered. We stayed on the same 323 while it left on a Birmingham International service, calling at Stechford, Lea Hall, Marston Green (where Aston left me) and Birmingham International. I got on a 350 home to Rugby from International.

It was a very enjoyable day, and I covered quite a lot of lines for one day, most of which I had not done before.

I need a lot of route coverage so if anyone else wants to cover lines, invite me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like it was good! What route were those diverted units taking? Sounds mighty interesting.

Have to ask, why did you go to Foregate Street when you needed Shrub Hill? And it is, by some margain, a LOT quicker to get a train between the two, especially if you don't walk the route between the two stations very often!

No idea why 153333 is so special either, although I do know it was one of my last CT 153s to secure sightings of.

Ascot

Established Member
Sounds like it was good! What route were those diverted units taking? Sounds mighty interesting.

Have to ask, why did you go to Foregate Street when you needed Shrub Hill? And it is, by some margain, a LOT quicker to get a train between the two, especially if you don't walk the route between the two stations very often!

No idea why 153333 is so special either, although I do know it was one of my last CT 153s to secure sightings of.

Via Bescot. for Wolverhampton to Birmingham bound trains.

Well he needed the coverage for Foregate Street so we did that. Also it was a nice day out so why not goin for a walk, besides the schools was on their lunch hr so a few lasses was out n about.

And 153333 happened a few months ago, more of a pee take :rabbit:

Status
Not open for further replies.