• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grafter1900

At the moment they have so many courses lined up and all the trainees are sitting at home due to coronavirus.

Gee95

Does anybody know when training is likely to be starting up again? I was due to start in June, however not sure what the delay is like now. I’ve had my medical and all ready to go!

Grafter1900

Does anybody know when training is likely to be starting up again? I was due to start in June, however not sure what the delay is like now. I’ve had my medical and all ready to go!

Just have to wait until they resume the training, a course was due to start in march also, so that course most likely also on hold.

S-Car-Go

They're recruiting for 2021 now for Birmingham, Worcester, and Bletchley.

I'm a WMT trainee driver from the 2019 intake. If you have any questions, just message me, and I'll try and answer them as best I can.

Rich3560

They're recruiting for 2021 now for Birmingham, Worcester, and Bletchley.

I'm a WMT trainee driver from the 2019 intake. If you have any questions, just message me, and I'll try and answer them as best I can.

Hi, I am interested in the 2021 intake for WMT. I know the intake process has changes vastly since the psychometric days. Is there anything you can advise for the initial application process.

Thanks

S-Car-Go

Hi, I am interested in the 2021 intake for WMT. I know the intake process has changes vastly since the psychometric days. Is there anything you can advise for the initial application process.

Thanks
Well I'm sure it has evolved since I did it 2 years ago. Looks like there's a video interview, which I didn't have. There's still the psychometrics to do of course, likely to an enhanced standard. You can prep with reaction games like Tetris or Bop-It. I used a book & DVD from How2Become - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=how2become+train+driver&sprefix=how2become+train+&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17
and - https://www.how2become.com/guides/train-driver-tests/

The guy who runs the company put some stuff on youtube too - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCcteVWYyBttDIBUjEtgEfCfWtkaHRbTn

The situational judgement multiple choice test online with WMT should be answered from a train driver's perspective. By that I mean, I was previously in station ticketing/customer service for another TOC. If I had answered it as my previous job, it would've been wrong or not the "most correct" answer. Priorities are safety, following the rules, punctuality of the operation.

Search for some railway safety videos on youtube like this one -
Browse for British Rail or network rail safety videos.

As regards an application, it has to demonstrate skills to do with safety, emergency/changing situations, ability to learn new procedures/rules/systems, work within rules/time constraints, good customer service, etc.

hs1105

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can tell me how many drivers/ conductors/ station staff are based at each depot with West Midlands Railway... perhaps it varies with each depot so for example, Worcester depot?

Dante

Would anyone who is a current WMT trainee mind DM'ing me with the current starting salary and what that equates to as take home per month please? Going through some unwelcomed life changes and it would be good to know how I'll fare once my training starts (if that day ever comes, thanks Covid!)

Withoutabix

isn’t it something like £26k then after so long a bump up to into the £40’s then full salary once all signed off etc

Wba0986

isn’t it something like £26k then after so long a bump up to into the £40’s then full salary once all signed off etc
I'm led to believe starting wage is approx 29k. Then once rules and regs completed it rises to 42k ish then 57k once driving hours completed. Hopefully I'm not far out.

Jon1930

Trainee rate around 29k for first 9 months then newly qualified rate around 43k, full rate is 2 years from start date.

Status
Not open for further replies.