• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Strategic Transport Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The West Midlands Combined Authority has now published this document:

https://westmidlandscombinedauthority.org.uk/media/1178/2016-06-01-mfg-full-document_wmca.pdf

Figure 4.3: Metropolitan Rail and Rapid Transit Network Map on page 16 is worth looking at.

I have skim read this and will fully read later. Unlike the document published for the North - which contained a list 1, 2 and 3 of electrification priorities, this document appears to pay lip service to electrification. Am I missing something?

MarkRedon

The document is, to put it politely, somewhat lacking in detail. Thus although it makes reference to the Camp Hill chords and to electrification:

• Camp Hill Rail Chords to increase Central Birmingham rail capacity
  • Water Orton corridor rail freight capacity enhancements
  • Further electrification of key national and regional rail links

-- it contains almost no detail on any of the proposed schemes.

The map which I mention in my first post is also very schematic in nature. [I am afraid that I cannot find a way in which I can upload images to this forum unless they are previously hosted at a specific URL; so readers of this forum will need to view that map in the source document. Sorry.]

Harbornite

Established Member
That was rather vague, no mention is made of the actual planned improvements for Water Orton junction or the new services that would be made possible by the Camp Hill chord. Also it doesn't go into detail about the potential sites for railfreight interchanges, even though one has been confirmed at Cannock on the Chase Line.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Water Orton would be filling in the 4 track gap and probable grade seperation at some point. You would have the current 170 type XCs using the Camp Hill chords I suspect.

Harbornite

Established Member
Water Orton would be filling in the 4 track gap and probable grade seperation at some point. You would have the current 170 type XCs using the Camp Hill chords I suspect.

I was under the impression that the new Camp Hill chord would be used by new local passenger services on the Camp Hill line, which would reduce the pressure on New Street. I'm not sure why XC would want to send services into Moor Street which is what you are suggesting?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing local on the Camp Hills would help New St as they wouldnt replace anything. Anything extra to Nuneaton, Leicester or Derby wouldnt fit in New St.

Status
Not open for further replies.