• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weebs

Hi, if anyone has recently trained with West Midlands trains as a driver in Birmingham, can you please tell me how much of the training was in Birmingham and were else and how long was the training, cheers. Paul

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1 week induction in brum
2 weeks rules in brum
2 weeks front end turns from your depot
3 weeks rules in brum
3 weeks traction probably Soho for New St drivers
2 weeks rules - brum
from this point onwards you are with a driver instructor (if they have any) based at your depot

Weebs

1 week induction in brum
2 weeks rules in brum
3 weeks rules in brum
2 weeks rules - brum
from this point onwards you are with a driver instructor (if they have any) based at your depot

mate that is so helpful you won’t believe, thank you so much, let’s just hope I passed the interview today to get in the course..

S-Car-Go

1 week induction in brum
2 weeks rules in brum
3 weeks rules in brum
2 weeks rules - brum
After your last rules, do you have a week called "principles of route learning"? (Bletchley trainee here - we have the same courses in the same order, split between Bletchley & Northampton)

Weebs

Yea if I pass my depot will be Bletchley as well, how challenging have you found the course? How long has it taken you so far?

Coach Carter

Ours ran,
1 week induction/PTS
2 weeks introduction to operations
2 weeks front ending
3 weeks rules part 1
3 weeks traction
1 week depot specifics/slow moves
2 weeks rules part 2
1 week principals of route learning
(I also have 2 weeks of traction conversion to do next)
Then comes the handling (learning to drive) and there is a SPAD awareness week popped in the middle of that.

Weebs

Ours ran,
1 week induction/PTS
2 weeks front ending
3 weeks rules part 1
3 weeks traction
2 weeks rules part 2
Then comes the handling (learning to drive) and there is a SPAD awareness week popped in the middle of that.

how challenging how you found it, what job did you do before you joined West Midlands trains?

Coach Carter

how challenging how you found it, what job did you do before you joined West Midlands trains?
First 3 weeks were the most challenging as at that point everything was new to me as I came from coach driving. After that you have some knowledge to work from.
The facilities at the academy are great and the trainers are all really good and nice people.

Weebs

First 3 weeks were the most challenging as at that point everything was new to me as I came from coach driving. After that you have some knowledge to work from.
The facilities at the academy are great and the trainers are all really good and nice people.

thats really helpful to know, thanks, if I find out that I’ve been given a place on a course can I please pick your brains some more?

S-Car-Go

Yea if I pass my depot will be Bletchley as well, how challenging have you found the course? How long has it taken you so far?
Good luck with your interview. If you need to ask anything, just message me.

S-Car-Go

Ours ran,
1 week induction/PTS
2 weeks front ending
3 weeks rules part 1
3 weeks traction
2 weeks rules part 2
Pretty much same as mine then. Although we had 3 weeks front ending as some trainers were unavailable for Rules Pt 1. Then a 2 week gap for Christmas after Traction, and I don't think we do much traction conversion since we sign only 1 type. In your Rules Pt 2, do they just examine you on that 2 weeks of learning? Or bundle stuff from previous modules to test you on too?

Weebs

Great news chaps I’ve passed the interview, very chuffed, unfortunately unless something changes I’m not on the course in April but on the course after later in the year.

Withoutabix

Great news chaps I’ve passed the interview, very chuffed, unfortunately unless something changes I’m not on the course in April but on the course after later in the year.

Congrats dude

there seems to be a few of us now just waiting for a medical so hopefully will start hearing about that soon if there starting to get more people through to this stage

Jon1930

Well done, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.