• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains 172/2, 172/3 Refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit555

I have been told that a WMT 172 went to Ilford for internal refurb from Tyseley on Saturday, headcode 5Q50.

Does anyone
have any details of the unit and possibly the extent of the refurb to take place.

Mark

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
I have been told that a WMT 172 went to Ilford for internal refurb from Tyseley on Saturday, headcode 5Q50.

Does anyone
have any details of the unit and possibly the extent of the refurb to take place.

Mark
172214 was the unit; C6 overhaul and full interior refit to the standard of the ex-LO 172/0s is what will happen in turn to each 172/2 and 172/3.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I was thinking that in the future that if they were to go in pairs, would there be a possibility of one of the driving cabs in both 333 and 338 being swapped so as to partner their original centre and opposite driving cab?

I seem to remember that it was these two sets that have the mismatched cab ends at one end of the train.

59CosG95

Established Member
I was thinking that in the future that if they were to go in pairs, would there be a possibility of one of the driving cabs in both 333 and 338 being swapped so as to partner their original centre and opposite driving cab?

I seem to remember that it was these two sets that have the mismatched cab ends at one end of the train.
Seems likely.

Spirit555

172214 was the unit; C6 overhaul and full interior refit to the standard of the ex-LO 172/0s is what will happen in turn to each 172/2 and 172/3.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated, Does this refurb include Wi-Fi and charge points. I can't recall seeing any on the 172/0's.

Mark

sd0733

Established Member

It could be done but personally I'd be suprised if it did happen, operationally it makes no difference To the use of the sets and by now they are likely at different points in the overhaul cycles which to rematch them up could mean prematurely replacing components or taking a set out twice while the other vehicles are done separately.
AFAIK both sets are correctly formed as in a 503xx-563xx-793xx vehicle in each so they run just fine as they are. There are also 6 mis-matched 350s in the fleet some having been mixed for almost 15 years with one unit having coaches from 3 different sets but a lot of the time it's just simpler to.leave alone is they work.

CosherB

Established Member

What cost benefit or operational advantage does that achieve?

xc170

Of all the current fleet refurbs going on, I'd say the 172's are the least in need of a refurb, they still look quite smart inside.

59CosG95

Established Member
Of all the current fleet refurbs going on, I'd say the 172's are the least in need of a refurb, they still look quite smart inside.
The visit to Ilford is much more structural; being a C6 overhaul, any bodywork repairs that need to be undertaken will also be done. The interior refresh is just a bonus.

xc170

The visit to Ilford is much more structural; being a C6 overhaul, any bodywork repairs that need to be undertaken will also be done. The interior refresh is just a bonus.

Bodywork repairs to the bodywork that has just been repainted/vinyled into WMT livery? :lol::lol:

newtownmgr

Both sets are registered with Network Rail, the Leasing companies etc in their current formations. If they weren’t they would have been changed back at the end of the LM franchise. Unlikely to be changed now.

BSWTECHNICIAN

They wont put these back together as the milages for exams will be out off sync

Status
Not open for further replies.