West Midlands Trains advance fares booking horizon

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Art Vanderlay, 15 Apr 2019.

1. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay New Member

Hi,

I normally book my weekly commute tickets from Stafford to London on West Midland Trains well in advance (2 to 3 months). But quite recently they seem to be selling advance tickets only upto a month ahead of time. Have others noticed this, and does this reflect a long-term change in policy?
    Grateful for any insights!

Art

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

It might be, they are allowed to choose how many tickets they sell at each quota and are not obliged to provide any advance tickets at all if they choose not to.

You can still get some good deals and bargain fares if you book ahead as much as it allows, so long as they have not been snapped up by other savvy people.

4. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

Engineering works, and in turn timetables, aren't being finalised as quickly as they used to be. As advances rely on a specific train being in the timetable by and large, they're only being released around 6 weeks before departure. Some TOCs are working on an extended horizon, with them being released sooner though.

I would never recommend using TheTrainLine to buy tickets, but they have an alerts function that will tell you when advances become available for the time and journey you select. Use this, then book either at your local friendly booking office, or on a website such as TPE if you care about Nectar points, or if there's offers on another website.