1. This is the last week to take part in the survey commissioned by Network Rail in conjunction with Middlesex University on the subject of suicide prevention on the railways - and as it's such an important topic (and a very well constructed survey) we wanted to give this particular survey a bit more visibility. You can find out more and take part in the survey if you wish by taking a look at this thread - deadline is 16th September.

West Midlands Trains (London Northwestern) barrier checks

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Bletchleyite, 9 Jan 2019.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Recently WMT (LNR) have made a big thing about having barrier staff at stations with barriers for the full period of service, and they indeed did this for the first few weeks, most notably I used the weekday 0134 from Euston to Bletchley and found the barrier staffed on arrival.

However, I've been to London 3 times this week, and only on Monday was the barrier staffed on arrival back at around 1900. I *think* it also wasn't staffed this morning in the peak, though fare evasion at that time of day is probably very near zero.

Is there a sickness issue, or have WMT discovered that fare evasion at these stations is not quite what they thought it was and so it isn't worth it?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. TMD Tom

TMD Tom Member

It was a committed obligation of theirs to staff the gatelines they had at their stations or had control over from ‘first to last’. Given that they only just complied with the deadline and that this was in part only due to employing agency staff (at WMR stations at least), I’d be inclined to think it more a staffing issue with sickness or leave.

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

More inclined to think it’s sickness too. I’ve used Milton Keynes at all hours of the day recently and have yet to see an unattended gateline.

5. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

I travelled from Euston on friday afternoon and returned sunday morning, and there was no barrier staff at euston on each occasion. Tickets were checked on train.

6. CentralTrainer

CentralTrainer Member

Birmingham Snow Hill is always manned - even for the last runner south on a Sunday at 11pm

7. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Which is good compared to the Chiltern operated barriers at Birmingham Moor Street

8. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Yes, those are a total joke, especially considering it's supposed to be a Compulsory Ticket Area!

9. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

In any case there is an entrance to the station that completely avoids them off the road bridge. I'd imagine once in a while they stand someone there collecting the PFs, though.

10. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

It's barriered too, though I'd imagine it's staffed even fewer hours than the main barrier line.

11. Silverlinky

Silverlinky Member

I went through Northampton early one morning this week and the barriers were unmanned. Its the first time I had seen them open in weeks.

Abellio have advertised for more gateline staff in the area.

12. iainbhx

iainbhx Member

I was quite shocked to find the Moor Street barrier operating on Thursday morning as I came off the 06:59 Spring Road, first time in ages. It is operating more often than not if I get the 07:13 Spring Road.

It is virtually never operating for the return trip and you never see gripper in the evenings either.