• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains recruiting for Trainee Train Drivers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
WMT need both drivers and guards to be able to enhance the services on some lines.

Don’t give up the wait - because believe me once you’re in, you’ll be glad of the practice - that’s an observation of my own over the last few years. And that’s all I’m saying on that front!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
With that username it’s a fast track to being hated amongst this forum!

Stevec101

The way WMT have handled the recruitment is a disgrace. The timetable changes have been postponed that's fair enough. But why not tell all those who are waiting who've been interviewed the truth.? They've litteraly left people hanging and had it not been for this forum and some of us asking them, they've litteraly just left us in limbo. Maybe WMT HR department need to think how would they feel if they were looking to change jobs for any reason and having been told they've passed interview and the next stage was for them the next stage was medical and reference etc. Then just ignored??? It's an absolute disgrace

HLE

Established Member
Mate, I didn't even realise until I just googled it! I thought of the name of the top of my head!!!!!!

Haha well all sorted now.

To all those ‘in limbo’ - it’s the railway.

CWM

I agree. Then again, look in to who’s apart of their HR, their employment, professional and education history.

You’ll get be gist

The way WMT have handled the recruitment is a disgrace. The timetable changes have been postponed that's fair enough. But why not tell all those who are waiting who've been interviewed the truth.? They've litteraly left people hanging and had it not been for this forum and some of us asking them, they've litteraly just left us in limbo. Maybe WMT HR department need to think how would they feel if they were looking to change jobs for any reason and having been told they've passed interview and the next stage was for them the next stage was medical and reference etc. Then just ignored??? It's an absolute disgrace

hoppy1671

I agree. I passed a medical 18 months ago...... 12 months elapsed since the last interview and so i was asked to attend a further managers interview in Feb 18. Passed that and was under the impression that jobs were imminent. Have seen others interviewed then pass medicals and get a course start in May. Heard nothing. I've contacted HR and basically been told I'll probably need a third interview next year at some point and that I remain in the pipeline but there are existing internal applicants from 2014 still waiting who will be given priority. In the meantime im also being told I cant transfer my application between depots in order to speed up the process and yet I know of other applicants doing just that. They seem to make up the rules as they go along. Wouldn't mind if I knew where I stood but the complete lack of communication from them is a joke.

Stevec101

I agree. I passed a medical 18 months ago...... 12 months elapsed since the last interview and so i was asked to attend a further managers interview in Feb 18. Passed that and was under the impression that jobs were imminent. Have seen others interviewed then pass medicals and get a course start in May. Heard nothing. I've contacted HR and basically been told I'll probably need a third interview next year at some point and that I remain in the pipeline but there are existing internal applicants from 2014 still waiting who will be given priority. In the meantime im also being told I cant transfer my application between depots in order to speed up the process and yet I know of other applicants doing just that. They seem to make up the rules as they go along. Wouldn't mind if I knew where I stood but the complete lack of communication from them is a joke.
I truly feel sorry for you. I'm lucky as I'm already a driver with a good job. I was really keen to move to WMT Crewe as it's much closer to home. But I've got a job at least. I was interviewed for a position somewhere else Thursday. Messing around with people's lives in this way really isn't right

hihohelp

for all those on here (i have not applied for this job)
via a friend who is at wmt
on top of the timetable change its also down to driver trainers
so in other words you will be waiting a long time
but also its the railway an thats exactly how the recruitment process goes
just be happy with what stages you are at an look forward to the next stage as an when it happens
this was to help anyone thats frustrated so dont shot the messenger o_O:D

387star

On Moderation
I agree. Then again, look in to who’s apart of their HR, their employment, professional and education history.

You’ll get be gist
It is awful you're right
However it is standard with many companies

Lendog2012

So after a long wait I have had an email saying that I have passed the application sift and to wait for details on an assessment date. Anyone else?

12guard4

If you arent happy with the way recruitment on the railway is run it isnt the right industry for you.

hoppy1671

If you arent happy with the way recruitment on the railway is run it isnt the right industry for you.
I disagree. The process leaves a lot to be desired and communication has been, in my experience, awful. It's far from ideal and clearly requires reform. Just because it's 'the railway' doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.

12guard4

I disagree. The process leaves a lot to be desired and communication has been, in my experience, awful. It's far from ideal and clearly requires reform. Just because it's 'the railway' doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.
Train driving is such a desirable job the TOCs can do what you eant because they know people like yourself who claim to be unhappy aren't going to withdraw their application.

Lendog2012

So having a view on a recruitment process means I shouldn't work within the Railway?? Interesting... especially when those who are chosen get through the process they will most likely never see that side of the business again once they are handed over to the Training School.

hoppy1671

I'm not sure TOCs treat applicants like this just for the fun of it...... I'd argue the process probably isn't fit for purpose. That's just my opinion given the experience I have had. TOCs are under more scrutiny than ever before and rightly so given the cost of tickets and demand for better performance.
In excess of 3 years (and still waiting) from application to job offer is crazy. At this rate I won't be surprised if the 5 years that the exam passes are applicable for elapses.

BraneSirJin

I'm not sure TOCs treat applicants like this just for the fun of it...... I'd argue the process probably isn't fit for purpose. That's just my opinion given the experience I have had. TOCs are under more scrutiny than ever before and rightly so given the cost of tickets and demand for better performance.
In excess of 3 years (and still waiting) from application to job offer is crazy. At this rate I won't be surprised if the 5 years that the exam passes are applicable for elapses.
Some TOC's only accept assessments within the last 3 years. Just seen someone who has had an assessment within the last 5 years have to repeat driver assessment for exact reason :(

12guard4

So having a view on a recruitment process means I shouldn't work within the Railway?? Interesting... especially when those who are chosen get through the process they will most likely never see that side of the business again once they are handed over to the Training School.
More the point that the industry runs in a very similar fashion.

Quartz473

Afternoon, I have an assessment centre on Monday 17th, I was quite surprised as I had an email advising I'd passed the paper sift and I'd hear more in the future, within a couple of days I had another email requesting I book the assessment centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.