• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains Shrewsbury depot questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know much about Shrewsbury? Earliest and latest times, rest day pattern, work content, Sundays, take home pay on a flat month, depot work, preps, that sort of thing...I understand that the routes and traction are quite limited, but not too worried about that. Anything else worth knowing or being concerned about? Parking, traffic, Shrewsbury itself, etc. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Work and traction extremely limited! Shrewsbury - Birmingham, via the Stour and via Bescot. Bescot - Walsall. I think drivers also sign Tysley but don't hold me to that. Traction is 170 only (existing train crew also sign 153 but they no longer have any booked work and they've been told it will be coming off their cards). 35 hour week, Sundays outside. No nights.

Free parking for WMT staff next to the yard. Nice little depot with some great people working there, albeit not for those who like variety. Shrewsbury itself is a lovely town but not the cheapest to live in. Traffic can be dire.

Last edited:
Work and traction extremely limited! Shrewsbury - Birmingham, via the Stour and via Bescot. Bescot - Walsall. I think drivers also sign Tysley but don't hold me to that. Traction is 170 only (existing train crew also sign 153 but they no longer have any booked work and they've been told it will be coming off their cards). 35 hour week, Sundays outside. No nights.

Free parking for WMT staff next to the yard. Nice little depot with some great people working there, albeit not for those who like variety. Shrewsbury itself is a lovely town but not the cheapest to live in. Traffic can be dire.

Brilliant. Thanks for the info, I hoped you might reply. Do you know if the rest day pattern is a fixed one? Are Sundays committed? Looking at the services it seems that the first trains come off the sidings at about 05:15 and the last one goes on just after midnight, which doesn't seem too bad, but that might not give the full picture if they do sign elsewhere. It would be interesting to see how intensive the work is given the limited routes.

Undiscovered

Earliest book on 0428. Latest finish 0018.
Committed Sundays, as is with new starters across the company.
Diagrams a mix of semi fast, stoppers, single and double sets so while the traction and route might not provide variety, there's enough to keep you on your toes.

Earliest book on 0428. Latest finish 0018.
Committed Sundays, as is with new starters across the company.
Diagrams a mix of semi fast, stoppers, single and double sets so while the traction and route might not provide variety, there's enough to keep you on your toes.

That sounds good to me. Just to confirm following your later post, are Sundays for drivers voluntary only then? Do you know if the rest day pattern is fixed?

Undiscovered

That sounds good to me. Just to confirm following your later post, are Sundays for drivers voluntary only then? Do you know if the rest day pattern is fixed?
Latest finish is 0043 on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Shift pattern is, starting Monday:
4on, 5off, 7on, 2off (Wed&Thu), 7on, 5off, 7on, 2off(W&T) etc. Essentially, every 3wks, you get a five day long wkend- Fri -Tues off. The 7 can seem like a slog, but all wks have a mix of turns, spare & standby turns, sometimes a safety brief and a Sunday off.
No committed Sunday on that long wkend, mine seem to fall one in each pay period: on off on 5off on off on 5off etc.

No idea on drivers, the ASLEF info is usually correct.

Latest finish is 0043 on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Shift pattern is, starting Monday:
4on, 5off, 7on, 2off (Wed&Thu), 7on, 5off, 7on, 2off(W&T) etc. Essentially, every 3wks, you get a five day long wkend- Fri -Tues off. The 7 can seem like a slog, but all wks have a mix of turns, spare & standby turns, sometimes a safety brief and a Sunday off.
No committed Sunday on that long wkend, mine seem to fall one in each pay period: on off on 5off on off on 5off etc.

No idea on drivers, the ASLEF info is usually correct.

Perfect, thanks for getting back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.