• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains strike timetable (ticket to London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
With West Midlands Trains having strikes every Saturday for the rest of the year (from November 16th) does anyone know what will be the revised timetable, specifically on the West Midlands Railway Hereford to Birmingham route?

The reason I ask this is because I have an advance single from Great Malvern to London Euston on Saturday 7th December for travel on the 06:17 to Birmingham New Street then the 07:30 Virgin Trains service to Euston.
If services start later because of the strike and this service no longer runs I will buy a new ticket for travel to Paddington on GWR so that I can still carry on with the rest of my trip that day as planned (09:40 from Euston to Crewe) but I would like to know that if this is the case will I be able to get a refund on the original ticket as I brought it well before the strikes were announced.

Also returning in the evening I have an advanced single from London Euston to Birmingham New Street 18:43 Virgin Trains service and then an off-peak single to Great Malvern (20:50 service), as I specifically want to go the WCML route returning what situation will I be in if services from Birmingham to Malvern finish before this due to the strikes as I brought the ticket at the same time as the other ones for this trip before the strikes were announced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
nobody outside West Midlands Railway probably doesn't know

Well, I don't know - but I don't think you meant the double negative :)

I do know that up in Northernland, strike timetables operated within a 12 hour day, 0700-1900.

gray1404

Established Member
When Merseyrail imposed a strike timetable I had a tickets booked with Northern for a round trip journey and a few days away where both the outward and return journey fell on a strike day. Northern refunded all of these, mixture of walk ups and advances, without any problems fee free.

I'd say at the very least you should be entitled to a fee free refund. But it would be great if you could make an informed decision in light of what timetable they will run/ticket acceptance in place.

VT 390

Established Member
Now that WMR have said there will be no service between Birmingham and Malvern will they still have to arrange alternate transport between New Street and Malvern as I already had booked the tickets BEFORE the strike was announced?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I do know that up in Northernland, strike timetables operated within a 12 hour day, 0700-1900.
This is a little misleading. On Northern, many stations weren't served, and in most cases the final departures were a long time before 1900. The times you offer were the most optimistic scenario.

Veteran Member
This is a little misleading. On Northern, many stations weren't served, and in most cases the final departures were a long time before 1900. The times you offer were the most optimistic scenario.
I know, but the info was sufficient and relevant to the OP who was wanting to travel before 0700 and after 1900.

Shrewbly

Now that WMR have said there will be no service between Birmingham and Malvern will they still have to arrange alternate transport between New Street and Malvern as I already had booked the tickets BEFORE the strike was announced?

According to their website: "there will be no additional replacement bus services." Not quite sure what additional means but it sounds like a no.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can’t assume there’ll be replacement transport. For starters where will the buses and drivers come from?

VT 390

Established Member
You can’t assume there’ll be replacement transport. For starters where will the buses and drivers come from?
I know that there will be no replacement transport arranged (currently) but as I have a journey itinerary and tickets booked before the strikes were announced I thought that they would have to get me to the destination on my ticket?
I am aware that anything that was booked after the strikes were announced would definitely not count.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In theory yes, in practice no. Northern refused to pay me delay repay when I was delayed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I know that there will be no replacement transport arranged (currently) but as I have a journey itinerary and tickets booked before the strikes were announced I thought that they would have to get me to the destination on my ticket?
I am aware that anything that was booked after the strikes were announced would definitely not count.
It's clear breach of contract if they don't offer you alternative transport or overnight accommodation. They must organise something for you, unless they think they can argue that the contract has become 'frustrated' which they almost certainly cannot do while hotels are open for business and the roads still passable.

However, many train companies choose to ignore their obligations to transport passengers who have already booked tickets who then become affected by strike action. You might need to be prepared to take your own enforcement action through the County Court if you want to pursue your rights. I would not count on Transport Focus or the Rail Ombudsman, although you've nothing to lose by going to them in the aftermath of events.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I have an advance single from Great Malvern to London Euston on Saturday 7th December for travel on the 06:17 to Birmingham New Street
an off-peak single to Great Malvern (20:50 service),
There will be no West Midlands Railway services to or from Worcester stations or Great Malvern if the strike goes ahead.

There will be no train service between Hereford / Worcester and Birmingham New Street in either direction.
https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/industrialaction

Status
Not open for further replies.