• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Norwood - Basingstoke (with staff pass from Clapham to Basingstoke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam86

Hi all,

I'm due to start employment with South West Trains next Monday and just had a quick question about my journey to Basingstoke whilst training.
My local train station is west norwood, so my journey will be from there to clapham junction, then onto Basingstoke.
The second part of my journey is a SWT service so that will be free for me, so my question is what is the best weekly/monthly ticket for me to get to travel from west norwood to clapham junction?
Would a zone 2-3 travel card be the best option or is there any way cheaper?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
A weekly season ticket from West Norwood to Clapham Junction is £11.40, a Zone 2-3 Travelcard is almost twice as much.

Liam86

Cheers for the reply, I did see that but thought it looked too cheap and weren't sure if that was because it was one way? That would enable me to return home aswel?

RJ

Established Member
In a word, yes.

You'll most likely want to travel direct via Streatham Hill and Balham, however the ticket is valid via other routes too. You could go down to either East/West Croydon then back up to Clapham Junction via Streatham. Or you could go from West Norwood to Wimbledon (via West Croydon and Sutton) then up to Clapham Junction.

A fair area of validity for the price.

Liam86

Yeah a very fair price, thanks a lot. I will be travelling via streatham hill and balham and the same journey back aswel.

Apply to rstl for a reduced rate season ticket, you might have to wait a month until you recieve your 75% priv ticket come through in the post before you can apply.

Liam86

Not sure that I'll get the PRIV ticket, heard only safeguarded employees get that.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Apologies that this isn't 100% related to the original topic, but I'm assuming you have considered that there won't be trains early enough to get to your depot for early shifts or to get home from late shifts? Or will you be based at Waterloo or Wimbledon after training?

Clapham is good as an interchange for Basingstoke as there are several fast trains per hour from there :D All the best with your start btw!

RJ

Established Member
Apply to rstl for a reduced rate season ticket, you might have to wait a month until you recieve your 75% priv ticket come through in the post before you can apply.

You only become eligible for that once HR get around to notifying RSTL that you exist as an employee. I doubt they'll do that for someone who hasn't passed or even started their training yet. The season ticket cannot be used without a Priv card, which is issued by RSTL. On top of that, you need to fill in the form and send it to RSTL which takes up to 15 days to come back. And even then, it has to be for a period of at least one month.

Liam86

Apologies that this isn't 100% related to the original topic, but I'm assuming you have considered that there won't be trains early enough to get to your depot for early shifts or to get home from late shifts? Or will you be based at Waterloo or Wimbledon after training?

Clapham is good as an interchange for Basingstoke as there are several fast trains per hour from there :D All the best with your start btw!

Waterloo will be my depot so the early/late shifts won't be a problem.
Thanks for the good wishes, I can't wait to start.

RJ

Established Member
Careful if relying on public transport - I've waited over two hours for the notoriously unreliable N68 in the past!

Liam86

I've got a few ways of travelling to and from work!
You based at Waterloo RJ?

RJ

Established Member
I've got a few ways of travelling to and from work!
You based at Waterloo RJ?

Nope, I work at a different London terminus but that bus is local to me, so glad I don't have to rely on it!

34D

Established Member

I thought TOC staff based in London got a staff oystercard? Or is that just Buses, LU and LOROL?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I'm at Strawberry Hill and rely on the 285 for my early shifts which has only let me down once, fortunately my ORM sorted out a staff car for me;)

Status
Not open for further replies.