West Wales routes

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by extendedpaul, 2 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

I notice that day return fares to Fishguard, Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven from my local station are the same. This made me wonder what flexibility there is on these infrequent routes.

Could I for example travel to Fishguard and return from Pembroke Dock on one ticket ?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

I doubt it. There's a destination station on there for a reason. The fares all being the same doesn't mean you can randomly change your mind and go to Pembroke and not Milford Haven at the last second.

It's a bit like how the fare to Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa is the same (or at least was in the early part of the year!) from my local shack. If I buy to Bristol Parkway, it doesn't mean I can pop on down the road to Bath Spa unless I buy to Bath Spa.

4. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

I believe that in the case of West Wales, there is an easement to permit travelling to one destination and returning from another. Therefore, yes you could travel to Fishguard and return from Pembroke. This is very much an exception and in the vast majority of cases the situation is as described by Techniquest.

5. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

From The Manual:

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    What is your local station? It will probably be permitted (provided break of journey is allowed) from most places in the East. From the North you would need to get a zero excess.

6. DJ737

DJ737 Member

Are stations that are geographicly north of Carmarthern classed as being east of Carmarthern for the purpose of this easement as you can only get to Carmarthern from the east.

DJ737
    The Melbourne Office

7. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I was referring to the point made by Techniquest (as quoted by me, above the comment) about going to Bath with a ticket to Bristol... It had nothing to do with the West Wales easement, they are completely different issues.

8. DJ737

DJ737 Member

Yep my mistake :oops:
    Must read things properly

9. extendedpaul

extendedpaul Member

Thanks for these replies, especially to Mojo. The itinerary I have now planned only became possible when the service to Fishguard Harbour was improved recently.

I should from Fishguard be able to reach Haverfordwest, Tenby and Pembroke by bus and then return by train from Pembroke Dock.

10. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Well I didn't know of that rule in West Wales, all those times I could have used it when I lived down that way...

My local shack (or at least, the easiest to get to) is Hereford. Usually when I go on a trip to Bristol I'll book to Bath anyway, even if I'm not going, just in case I fancy a quick leap for the extra 23 miles. Not that that happens very often these days mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.