• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire DayRover 13/09/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
06:15 on a somewhat misty Saturday morning, and I'm at Bentley station waiting for the Leeds train. Nice.

It's 322482, probably the last time I'll remember the number of the train but it has the new disabled toilet, the door lock possibly not working - no indication to tell if it is, you pull the handle to Lock and it springs back to open - good job few are on the train ...

A quick Subway visit and it's on to Crossflatts on a 333 - there's a bit of a problem starting as it didn't quite pull past the signal, so it starts off by going further up the platform, and then the driver comes back to the right end. Still, it means I see a pair of 57's T&T'ing the Pullman carriages.

Then it's the non-train bit, a walk over the moors to Ilkley, really nice until the bit when the paths go all over the place just outside Ilkley and it gets really misty really quickly. Still, there's more people out walking the dogs there than when it was clearer.

It's another 333 to Bradford FS, and the mist is still hanging around. The centre of the Bradford seems to be mainly being rebuilt, the amount of scaffolding is immense. Lots of ticket inspectors out today, on the Platform at Ilkley and Bradford FS.

A pair of 153's take me to Todmorden, just in time for a cheese and pickle sandwich and a 142 back to Halifax, a quick nip off the train to check when the Huddersfield train left ended up being a 50 minute wait when the doors closed behind me! Still, had time for a visit to Revo records in the centre.

A 144 to Huddersfield, started falling asleep just after Brighouse and was still waking up when it arrived in Huddersfield, hence running down the platform for a train that turned out not to be leaving for half an hour. It's a 150 and it gets me to Marsden, I have an hour so walk up to the canal tunnel, then back round into the town.

Marsden seems to be full of slightly drunk people, about 10 minutes before the train back to Huddersfield arrives they all show up on the station (think I might have been the only one on the station not to have had any alcohol that day, at that point anyway!) , and it's probably the same 150 due to the track work being done after Rochdale. And then another 150 up to Dewsbury, which I reach in time for everything to be closing for the day ...

Standing room only but not too packed on the 185 back into Leeds, on a whim I get another 333 to Shipley and find a pub that does a nice Chicken & Chorizo salad and also has some Saltaire beers on (The Hockney).

Another 333 back to Leeds and then a 144 to Wakefield, a quick visit to Henry Boons and then it's back to 322482 again back to Bentley, arriving at 10pm.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 44
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't Bradford getting a westfields or other massive shopping centre?

Nice little day-trip around Yorkshire

Tracked

Established Member
Isn't Bradford getting a westfields or other massive shopping centre?

Yes, it's just outside Forster Square, though there were quite a few other buildings round the centre under scaffolding & the drilling/hammering sounds were constant whilst waiting at Interchange.

Crossover

Established Member
Yes, the shopping centre has been a LONG time in the making - talks have been ongoing for years now.
Also, love that photo taken above Standedge - a think a visit may be in order at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.