• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire Metro Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
I'm attempting to copy WSXFan's style of reporting here. (In case you won't notice, it is a bit of a p*** take) :lol: :p

Key...

(NB) = New Bash
(R) = Required.
WYM = West Yorkshire Metro
N = Northern Train
TPE = TRansPennine Express Train

0710 Walk to Scunthorpe station
0734 Scunthorpe - Doncaster in a N 153
0829 Doncaster - Leeds WYM 321 (departed about 12 late, arrived Leeds 25 mins late)

And now for the challenge.

1004 Leeds - Pontefract Monkhill in a N 153, calling at Woodlesford(R), Castleford, Glasshoughton and Pontefract Monkhill.
Walked to Pontefract Baghill
1135 Pontefract Baghill(R) - Moorthorpe(R) in N 156
1151 Moorthorpe - Wakefield Westgate in N 144008*, calling at Fitzwilliam, Sandal & Agbrigg and Wakefield Westgate.
1229 Wakefield Westgate - Bradford Interchange (NB) in a N 156. Calling at Wakefield Kirkgate, Mirfield(R), Deighton(R), Huddersfield, Brighouse(R), Halifax(R), Bradford Interchange(R).
Walk to Bradford Forster Square
1417 Bradford FS(R) - Ilkley (NB) in a WYM/N 333. Calling at Frzinghall(R), Shipley, Baildon(R), Guisley(R), Menston(R), Burley In Wharfeday(R), Ben Rhydding(R) and Ilkley(R)
1451 Ilkley - Shipley on the same WYM/N 333, calling at the same stops.
1519 Shipley - Steeton and Silsden on a WYM/N 333. Calling at Saltaire, Bingley, Crossflats, Keighley, Steeton & Silsden(R)
1556 Steeton & Silsden - Leeds on a WYM/N 333, calling at the above stations.
1643 Leeds - Dewsbury, on a N 144, calling at Cottingley(R), Morley(R), Batley(R) and Dewsbury
1706 Dewsbury - Leeds on a TPE 158, calling at Leeds.
1740 Leeds - Shipley on a WYM/N 333, calling at Shipley

End of challenge.

Returning home now.

18?? Shipley - Leeds on a N 156
1819 Leeds - Doncaster on the Silverlink 321
1942 Doncaster - Scunthorpe on a TPE 158

End of report.

* I remember 144008 for the following reasons. It was full, slow, noisy, very bouncy, and underneath where I was stood, the tyres had a massive flatspot, which made the bounce and noise worse. After I got back to Doncaster, it was on the local to Scunthorpe. I decided to wait for the TPE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demps

yeh, respectable with the 142's strangely i have a strange fetish for their engine sound, or should i say exhaust sound; very bubbly (comical)

The Snap

Established Member
Yep, was a good day! Remember that 156 phot Jim...? :p :D

Gareth Hale

Demps said:
yeh, respectable with the 142's strangely i have a strange fetish for their engine sound, or should i say exhaust sound; very bubbly (comical)

What number is that 142 which had the bad engine?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The winning team was Evil_Hippo, morgantyreman and myself with 45 stations.

2nd place was Jim, Laverack222 and Jordy with (IIRC) 42 stations.

60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster got 35, and RichA and SamP got 25 stations.

It was a good meet, surprisingly we didn't bump into any other groups during the day!

It was a successful first W Yorks Challenge, with 4 teams taking part, not bad for a first time ever. But we should be looking to beat that next time, I'd want at least 6 or 7 teams. No excuses next time ;)

The Snap

Established Member
yorkie said:
The winning team was Evil_Hippo, morgantyreman and myself with 45 stations.

2nd place was Jim, Laverack222 and Jordy with (IIRC) 42 stations.

60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster got 35, and RichA and SamP got 25 stations.

It was a good meet, surprisingly we didn't bump into any other groups during the day!

It was a successful first W Yorks Challenge, with 4 teams taking part, not bad for a first time ever. But we should be looking to beat that next time, I'd want at least 6 or 7 teams. No excuses next time ;)

Eh, we got 27! :p Yup, was a good day out, and was ideal weather too! :D

David

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Hot... up North :shock:
It's been a very warm week so far, although I wouldn't call it hot yet. After all, it only got to 25 degrees today.

The Snap

Established Member
:D
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
It's been a very warm week so far, although I wouldn't call it hot yet. After all, it only got to 25 degrees today.

Tis not some much hot, more like humid. It is very sticky and dry. Anyway, bring on August and my summer hols! :D

Gareth Hale

Im already on my Summer holidays so ill say 'BRING IT ON!!' but ill also add, Bring on July and August. July = UK, August = 16th Birthday and Drivers Licence :D

David

Established Member
America. Which other country would do such a stupid thing? At least he can't drive over he for at least another year.

Tom B

Established Member
17 year olds can be dangerous as well. Most the people who have passed these tests don't have a clue about traffic rules... and of course they don't have to know any of it again because they don't need to retest every year!

tramboy

I'll take note of the "most" in that sentence above! I have been driving for nearly two years, passing my driving test first time, four months after my 17th birthday at the hardest centre in Nottinghamshire, West Bridgford, where nearly everyone fails first time. I consider myself to be a safe driver, and can remember most of the theory, if not being a safe practical driver anyway. My friends have also been driving for over two years, and all of them are safe drivers behind the wheel.

In fact, most young drivers are sensible, it's just the few who aren't (boy racers/cruising etc etc) that give the rest of us a bad name, and a high insurance premium.

I do agree that 16 is a bit young. Although I suppose being America, they don't have to cope with gears, which will be the excuse for that low age!

Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.