• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire Train Day Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnon

I just bought one of these at Sevenoaks station. It took a full 20 minutes to complete the (£5.30) transaction.

The problem was that the ticket presents itself as "M Train Dayrover". It was only when i ventured that 'M' might stand for 'Metro' (a complete punt on my part) that the clerk was happy to release the ticket.

Can anyone confirm whether "M Train Dayrover" is indeed the recognised description for a West Yorkshire Train Day Rover ??

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jwos

It is indeed correct. Even in APTIS days, you had to type "TO" then "M (SPACE) TR" to issue one.

Metro do actually produce dedicated ticket stock for the train only day rover, but in practice you'll find most stations in W Yorks will issue them on blank orange stock anyway to save time and hassle.

The variants that include bus travel (West Yorks DayRover, W Yorks Family Day Rover,Metro Bus only Day Rover) must be issued on dedicated stock, as the bus companies probably won't accept them otherwise, but TOC RPI/As and guards are fine with the train only product being on normal blanks.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It is indeed correct. Even in APTIS days, you had to type "TO" then "M (SPACE) TR" to issue one.

Metro do actually produce dedicated ticket stock for the train only day rover, but in practice you'll find most stations in W Yorks will issue them on blank orange stock anyway to save time and hassle.

The variants that include bus travel (West Yorks DayRover, W Yorks Family Day Rover,Metro Bus only Day Rover) must be issued on dedicated stock, as the bus companies probably won't accept them otherwise, but TOC RPI/As and guards are fine with the train only product being on normal blanks.

I sold a Metro Train and Bus DayRover on the train from my Avantix machine the other day. It was printed on orange stock and said 'Rail Rover' in the bottom corner, but the destination was 'West Yorkshire DayRover' and it was the correct train and bus fare. So, I hope the chap was ok on the bus!

Incidentally, in the Avantix machines, the ticket name starts as 'West Yorkshire...', so by just typing in 'W' or 'West' the ticket shows up, there is no need for the complicated procedure described above.

DBE

I got one today at CRG printed on the special metro ticket. They are loaded into the machine separately from the standard orange ones, inserted into a slot and printed then expelled with not nearly as much force!

Attachments

• wyksrdr.jpg
    wyksrdr.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 35

garnon

I sold a Metro Train and Bus DayRover on the train from my Avantix machine the other day. It was printed on orange stock and said 'Rail Rover' in the bottom corner, but the destination was 'West Yorkshire DayRover' and it was the correct train and bus fare. So, I hope the chap was ok on the bus!

Incidentally, in the Avantix machines, the ticket name starts as 'West Yorkshire...', so by just typing in 'W' or 'West' the ticket shows up, there is no need for the complicated procedure described above.

Not sure what the machine was at Sevenoaks stations...but "W" did not help at all. However "Y" (for Yorkshire) brought up the whole range.

The ticket printed had only the fewest of details. Date, price, and " Sevenoaks" in the From field and "M day rail rover" in the 'To' field.

Shame it did not say "Any permitted"

The Metro website indicates that Train & Bus DayRovers are not purchasable onboard buses or trains.

Pre-dated/on the day Family, Train & Bus, Train DayRovers are available at rail stations.
Pre-dated/on the day Train DayRovers can also be bought on the train if there is no booking office open.
Pre-dated/on the day Adult bus-only DayRovers can also be bought on-board buses.
Where to buy
You can buy your DayRover at:

Bradford Interchange, Castleford Bus Station, Dewsbury Bus Station, Halifax Bus Station, Huddersfield Bus Station, Keighley Bus Station, Leeds Bus Station, Pontefract Bus Station, Wakefield Bus Station
All staffed rail stations in West Yorkshire (Rail DayRovers & Rail & Bus Dayrovers only. Bus-only DayRovers are not sold at Rail Stations).
Adult bus-only DayRovers can also be bought from the bus driver.
Most post offices in West Yorkshire
Leeds Visitor Centre, Leeds Corn Exchange and some Tourist Information Centres.

glynn80

Established Member
The Metro website indicates that Train & Bus DayRovers are not purchasable onboard buses or trains.

The extract you have quoted from the Metro website is referring to the "pre dated" (scratchcard) version of the Rover. You can still purchase Rovers with the date printed, on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.