• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western Mainlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon91

JT have released probably one of the longest routes for Train Sim to date with their Western Mainlines DLC. Paddington to Exeter, via Bristol and Paddington to Cardiff being the two main routes included alongside Didcot to Oxford and the branch to Avonmouth. Spent a good four hours yesterday in a HST exploring the both main routes and bar an issue with 3D trees killing my framerates it has been a generally positive experience. Lots of custom buildings along the route really show the amount of research that's gone into it, the route being set in 2013-2015 also gave me a chance to have a nosey at the new Reading layout.

The only complaints I have so far are that the amount of 3D trees is a bit crazy, even forming parts of distant scenery in some places, the approaches into Bath and Swindon saw my FPS counter drop to 7fps in places. Now I know my machine is a bit asthmatic compared to many others who play TS but it does seem to me that the 3D trees JT use clobber most peoples' computers pretty hard from what I've heard from users on UKTS. Another slight issue is the routing in QD leading to me being put in the loop at Wantage which kind of puts the brakes on a decent section of 125mph running. <D

I'm sorry American Truck Sim but I don't think I'll be playing you for a while...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leomartin125

It's a good route, I'm glad the GWML has had a well done update in TS, it was needed for many years. Only complaint I have is FPS which I can echo your point above, and also some of my assets like signal gantries aren't in the game. Oh and Exeter St David's is also nonexistant despite all the assest being there except the station itself...

deltic1989

Established Member
It's a good route, I'm glad the GWML has had a well done update in TS, it was needed for many years. Only complaint I have is FPS which I can echo your point above, and also some of my assets like signal gantries aren't in the game. Oh and Exeter St David's is also nonexistant despite all the assest being there except the station itself...

That may be down to your object density setting. If you run it up a bit then more scenery will start to appear.

Southwest

I've got two JT add ons for Train Simulator and both suck when it comes to framerate. All of the add ons from Stream are 3 times better on the framerate than JT's.

leomartin125

I've got two JT add ons for Train Simulator and both suck when it comes to framerate. All of the add ons from Stream are 3 times better on the framerate than JT's.

It is because the game engine cannot render fast enough and isn't well optimised for the amount of scenery that JT put into their addons and DLC. Once the new engine (Unreal Engine 4) is implemented, routes will be longer and more built up with much more scenery and the game will handle this without needing to either crash (TS Dump Error) or lag whilst in game.

unclefreddy

Seems to run OK for me on a toaster spec laptop, Yes I do get bits missing and the odd stutter. But mostly OK. Knowing some the areas near to the route I was impressed with how they had been modelled on the route. For example, passing Little Somerford I recognised it straight away. Afraid to say I stopped an HST service to have a better look around.

kdoganorak

I am part way through making a scenario and have discored that the tracks for platforms 4/6 at Cardiff central are two close together... i.e if you have a train running into 4 when 6 is occupied you get a collision. Same with platforms 3/4. At newport. Considering the amount of work that myst have gone into this route it does seem a bit bizzare to have this kind of error.

25 quid for all these miles of route still pretty good value tough I guess.

Does anyone know if I move the tracks/platforms a bit others will still be able use scenarios I upload to steam workshop?

unclefreddy

Does anyone know if I move the tracks/platforms a bit others will still be able use scenarios I upload to steam workshop?

There is an update being worked on to solve some of the issues you mention about platform lines being to close together and other problems that people have flagged up.

The answer to your question is a simple no. Western Mainlines is a Just Trains product not available through Steam, so you will not be able to upload scenarios to the workshop. There are other places where you may be able to upload scenarios, such as UKTS or some Facebook groups.

If you have the South Wales Coast route then you can upload scenarios to steam workshop for that. The route covers Cardiff to Bristol Parkway plus the Filton Line to Bristol Temple Meads. You also get Arriva Wales class 175, GWR green HST and class 70 loco with container wagons and Freightliner liveried HTA Hoppers. A little extra cash will also net you Arriva Wales class 143 and 158 dmu sets.

Southwest

It is because the game engine cannot render fast enough and isn't well optimised for the amount of scenery that JT put into their addons and DLC. Once the new engine (Unreal Engine 4) is implemented, routes will be longer and more built up with much more scenery and the game will handle this without needing to either crash (TS Dump Error) or lag whilst in game.

Any idea when/if this is/has happened?

leomartin125

Any idea when/if this is/has happened?

Supposedly this year, instead of a game update, they will release a new game entirely that will have UE4 implemented. Although the chances of this actually happening is very low as DTG have said this type of stuff before and have nothing to show for it. I say just wait and see, and don't build your hopes up either as DTG know exactly how to let their audience down.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Supposedly this year, instead of a game update, they will release a new game entirely that will have UE4 implemented. Although the chances of this actually happening is very low as DTG have said this type of stuff before and have nothing to show for it. I say just wait and see, and don't build your hopes up either as DTG know exactly how to let their audience down.
To be honest, I wish, in a few years time, after the UE4 game has bedded in, I wish a patch, like MSTS BIN patch, would be released. Adding extra features, improving performance etc...

GB

Established Member
You want a patch and performance/feature update for something that is not even released yet?

Bex73C

To be honest, I wish, in a few years time, after the UE4 game has bedded in, I wish a patch, like MSTS BIN patch, would be released. Adding extra features, improving performance etc...

Thats quite comical!!! Just look at the bugs still in Train Simulator that havent been fixed from Day 1 - You expecting miracles from UE4 TSW LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.