• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westinghouse Garrard Ticket Machines 1940's on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Am researching my grandfather's history, particularly his time at Westinghouse Garrard in Chippenham post war.

His name is Gilbert Hopwood.

He came to Chippenham from London during the war. Apparently he was an engineer behind the early change giving ticket machines trialed in Chippenham station then installed in the London underground. I am told the trial was the subject of a cartoon in the press about him and his machines, although I have yet to find it.

He became director of Westinghouse Garrard and I assume he must have worked with OS Nock.

Any info on his time there would be very welcome, particularly about the machines.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
There is a book "A Hundred Years of Speed with Safety" (The Hobnob Press, 2006) about the Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company from 1881-1981, partly written by O S Nock and edited after his death by others. I have looked at it and regret to report I can find no mention of Westinghouse Garrard nor of Gilbert Hopwood. I can only assume that the ticket machine side was run completely separate from the Brake and Signal side of things.

Thanks John for the really quick reply.

I was aware of the book and was considering getting a copy. Shame there is no mention but am grateful that you have saved me having to buy one.

Apparently Gilbert recognised one of his later machines in the Science Museum which I think may have been an AEG Multiprinter (they have one that is credited to Westinghouse Garrard)Also there are some records of the Westinghouse Garrard contract in the museum at Chippenham so hoping that might shed some light.

Any info on Westinghouse ticket machines generally from that period very welcome from anyone else reading this.

Reading more about OS Nock, it seems he came down to Chippenham from the London office at the same time as Gilbert but was a little older. I assume quite a few did. Nock went back to London briefly after the war then moved to Bath. Gilbert (and his Brother) decided to stay in Chippenham.. Does the book say much about what was happening in London pre war? I am assuming Gilbert may have been working there before the war pre Westinghouse Garrard.

Ta

Taunton

Established Member
They have a link to a possibly relevant document, though you'll need to register a bank card to get it
My scam detector gives a warning about that website. Combined with a distinctly oddball web address and having to register a bank card without apparent cause ...

bassmike

On Moderation
Thanks John for the really quick reply.

I was aware of the book and was considering getting a copy. Shame there is no mention but am grateful that you have saved me having to buy one.

Apparently Gilbert recognised one of his later machines in the Science Museum which I think may have been an AEG Multiprinter (they have one that is credited to Westinghouse Garrard)Also there are some records of the Westinghouse Garrard contract in the museum at Chippenham so hoping that might shed some light.

Any info on Westinghouse ticket machines generally from that period very welcome from anyone else reading this.

Reading more about OS Nock, it seems he came down to Chippenham from the London office at the same time as Gilbert but was a little older. I assume quite a few did. Nock went back to London briefly after the war then moved to Bath. Gilbert (and his Brother) decided to stay in Chippenham.. Does the book say much about what was happening in London pre war? I am assuming Gilbert may have been working there before the war pre Westinghouse Garrard.

Ta
Would the Garrard part have any connection with Garrard (Swindon) who manufactured audio equipment and similar (eventually became part of Plessey)?

Roger1973

The London Transport Museum may be a good starting point.

A search of their collections says they have 'technical documents' from 1949 (not digitised) - info here

Nothing else comes to light - although some of the descriptions they have for tickets / ticket machines (that I have seen) are not entirely correct.

I got some useful I do from TTS a while back. They have a couple of machines and were able to give me some info about changes that were made in the underground ticket halls around that time. I may follow the 'technical documents' rabbit hole.

I agree on that download site. Definitely a bit dodgy looking.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Dai Corner

Established Member
The Garrard company of Swindon is mentioned In 'Engineering and railway works', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 4, ed. Elizabeth Crittall (London, 1959), pp. 183-219. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol4/pp183-219 [accessed 19 September 2021].

It sounds the sort of company Westinghouse might collaborate with to make a ticket machine.

The earliest arrival in this field was the firm of Garrard at Swindon. Garrard & Co., Crown Jewellers, of Albemarle Street, London, were founded in 1721. They existed until 1952, when the firm was amalgamated with the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company, but a year later the title of the combined concern was changed to Garrard & Co., Crown Jewellers, to preserve continuity. In 1915 the directors of the original firm, anxious to make a contribution to the war effort and retain existing craftsmen in employment, formed an engineering concern under the title of 'The Garrard Engineering and Manufacturing Co. Ltd.' and rented a small works at Willesden where they started to manufacture such precision instruments as bomb-sights. This class of work continued until 1918 when the company decided to make light precision mechanisms a permanent feature and started to concentrate on gramophone motors—an article then not made in England in any quantity, but imported from the United States, Germany, and Switzerland. Looking for suitable premises, they found a factory at Newcastle Street, Swindon, of approximately 27,000 sq. ft., where they began to manufacture in 1919. (fn. 147)The factory provided welcome employment for female labour, and their workers were often daughters of the men at the railway works. A branch establishment was also used during the Second World War. As Garrard's grew they had to recruit from an everincreasing distance and by 1952 their employees lived in many places in north Wiltshire.

The early hand-made gramophone motors were soon followed by a mass-produced article, but although this made them cheaper, they lost none of their precision and the business grew. Additions to the floor-space had to be made in 1923 and in 1928; office blocks were added in 1938 and a canteen and other amenities as well as manufacturing space were added during and after the Second World War. They had started with 30 people in 1919, but sixteen years later they had 1,750. In between the boom periods of expansion there were, of course, spells of depression as was inevitable with a product such as they made. One of the lessons learned in depression was the need for diversification. Clocks were added accordingly in 1931, and automatic record changers in 1932.

War in 1939 once more saw Garrard's switching over to the production of armament parts requiring great accuracy, radar mechanisms, timing devices, and small motors capable of many uses. (Electric motors had been built there since 1927.) Additional premises were taken over in Swindon and at Arkell Hall, Gorse Hill. (fn. 148) A small factory was started at Marlborough during the war and continued in production afterwards. (fn. 149) Before and after the Second World War, large numbers of record changers and radiogram units were made and exported all over the world and these articles constituted the chief products of the firm. In 1952 the total buildings of the firm covered approximately 170,000 sq. ft. and land had been acquired for further extension. About 1,800 people were employed. Mr. H. V. Slade, O.B.E., J.P., one of the founders of the business, was chairman and managing director of the company.

The Chippenham Civic Society has an account of O.S. Nock's time in the town.
O S Nock
When war was declared in 1939 the London head office of Westinghouse decided to move the engineering department and all their drawings to Chippenham to prevent any damage from air attack. This was a major upheaval for the majority of the staff who felt that moving to the provinces was unthinkable. Nock relates that many of his London-born colleagues had an inherent disdain for ‘country dwellers’, and during the first weeks of the war when air strikes failed to materialise, some felt it was worth risking their lives by staying in London, rather than move to Chippenham! Nock did move to Chippenham however. He and his wife Olivia, where able to purchase what Nock called a 2 ½ bedroom detached house on a new estate. It was unfinished when they first came to Chippenham; consequently they took up digs with a colleague from Westinghouse while waiting for the house to be finished.
He lived in Bushey before WW2 and returned there briefly after, before moving to Bath.
This time, Nock did not look to live in Chippenham, but bought a large 3 story, Georgian house in Bath at 20 Sion Hill. This he claimed was almost as cheap as buying a modern house built just before the war . How times have changed!
I guess he may have known your grandfather socially through a 'group' Westinghouse event, but Westinghouse Garrard was a subsidiary with separate premises in the town.

randyrippley

Established Member
Infuriatingly, the Victoria County History for Wiltshire has a lot to say about Westinghouse and Garrard, but only mentions the ticket machine joint venture in passing

A subsidiary, Westinghouse Garrard Ticket Machines Ltd. jointly owned by this firm and Garrards of Swindon ......, was in 1952 engaged in making ticketprinting-and-issuing machines and had premises in Hawthorn House, Hawthorn Road.

I'd never realised that Garrard the Jewellers, Garrard the flight instrumentation engineers, and Garrard the record player company, were all one and the same!

Scuse my ignorance but what was a Garrard ticket machine? Anyone got a pic?
This is what I have understood so far. The company was Westinghouse Garrard Ticket Machines Ltd. A subsidiary of Westing house and formed sfter the war. They contributed to ticket machines made by AEG (e.g the change giving parts) and a good example of one from the 60's is here. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...at-birmingham-new-street.209622/#post-4794968
I am pretty sure there were earlier ones but it's all a bit confused by the AEG (and possibly Siemens) link.

Infuriatingly, the Victoria County History for Wiltshire has a lot to say about Westinghouse and Garrard, but only mentions the ticket machine joint venture in passing

I'd never realised that Garrard the Jewellers, Garrard the flight instrumentation engineers, and Garrard the record player company, were all one and the same!
Yes. That surprised me too.

The Chippenham Civic Society has an account of O.S. Nock's time in the town.
O S Nock

He lived in Bushey before WW2 and returned there briefly after, before moving to Bath.

I guess he may have known your grandfather socially through a 'group' Westinghouse event, but Westinghouse Garrard was a subsidiary with separate premises in the town.
Interestingly in that paper Nock refers to the difficulties of relocating to Chippenham, finding lodgings etc as part of the relocation from London.. My grandfather and his family had the same problem. My mum often talks about two families sharing one house.

Part of me wonders if he was actually working for Garrard in London but not been able to prove that either way. His expertise was coin sorting. I remember as a kid his garage being full of bits of coin sorting machines.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Was this the company that became Westinghouse Cubic, or was that quite separate?

Status
Not open for further replies.