• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weston-Super-Mare Points Farce

Do you like Voyagers or Super Voyagers?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

Just like to inform you that there's been some kind of points farce on the Weston-Super-Mare loop, with many delays over 40 mins. The worst affected one that I've so far seen on the National Rail website is the 17:00 Cardiff Central to Exeter St Davids. (Reportedly left W-S-M on time at 18:27, but only left Highbridge and Burnham at 19:55, some 78 minutes late.)

The 16:45 Paignton to Cardiff Central left W-S-M 77 mins late.

The congestion along the Taunton to Bristol main line has caused a few VXC Voyagers to also be delayed.

One example is VXC's 08:47 Glasgow Central to Plymouth via Weston-Super-Mare. I was just seeing how it was doing on the Nat R site, because I spotted it around Blackburn, formed of 220 002. 220 002 left BTM 4 late, but has left Taunton 46 late.

*POLL*-
I also added the option at the botom for Voyagers- No, I would prefer to travel on another type of train, but I mustn't have made the poll correctly.

I personally love Voyager & Super Voyagers, but still think they could do with some more coaches adding on. Isn't it the SRA's fault for not allowing Virgin some more coaches for the 220s/221s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Surely they didn't try to keep pushing a full service around the loop if there was a problem of some sort? Running via the avoiding line - assuming this wasn't affected - would seem to be a better solution for most!

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
voyagerdude220 said:
*POLL*-
I also added the option at the bottom for Voyagers- No, I would prefer to travel on another type of train, but I mustn't have made the poll correctly.

I personally love Voyager & Super Voyagers, but still think they could do with some more coaches adding on. Isn't it the SRA's fault for not allowing Virgin some more coaches for the 220s/221s?

Give me a Mk2 or Mk3 over a Voyager any day but I have to say apart from the length they are nicer to travel in from a bendo... Voyagers are hardly the most plesant train to travel in just think how nice a Mk2F was if you can remember them - every seat had a window you and could sit back, relax and enjoy the ride not have to worry about if your going to get a seat with any leg room or even a seat at all.

Progress I think not...

Nick

Jonathan said:
voyagerdude220 said:
*POLL*-
I also added the option at the bottom for Voyagers- No, I would prefer to travel on another type of train, but I mustn't have made the poll correctly.

Give me a Mk2 or Mk3 over a Voyager any day but I have to say apart from the length they are nicer to travel in from a bendo... Voyagers are hardly the most plesant train to travel in just think how nice a Mk2F was if you can remember them - every seat had a window you and could sit back, relax and enjoy the ride not have to worry about if your going to get a seat with any leg room or even a seat at all.

Progress I think not...

Progress=More seats. I think so.
The reason Voyagers are 'short' is cause it was promised to double the frequency by the SRA, something that didn't happend=the lack of seats.

I much prefer a voyager on a cold Novemeber day then a Mk2....ugh cack heating.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick said:
Progress=More seats. I think so.
Unfortunately not, no. the contrary there are less seats.

Frequencies were only really doubled on the core routes, and there isn't an overall increase in standard class capacity even on the core routes. (For example take York-Birmingham, a SuperVoyager via Leeds and a Voyager via Doncaster give 7 standard class vehicles all with considerably less capacity than the 6 standard class vehicles the hourly HST had, so overall there are less standard seats. But more FC seats despite a lack of demand for FC.)

By the way, a 3-car Central Trains Class 170 has more seats than a Voyager.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even if they did provide the same number of seats as before, the key thing to remember was that Virgin had aimed to increase passenger numbers by 50% to help pay for these new trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.