• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westwood rail station, sheffield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litfan

Does anyone know the exact location of this station? Better even, would be some photo`s. I have searched this area, but, there has been so much land disturbance. it`s hard to get a fix.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Westwood railway station was situated on the South Yorkshire Railway's Blackburn Valley line between Chapeltown Central and Birdwell & Hoyland Common. The station served an area of few houses apart from two rows of miners' cottages known as "Westwood Row". The nearest settlement was at High Green, just over 1.5 miles (2.4 km) away.

The original Westwood station, set in a wooded area, was opened on 4 September 1854 on a single line to the north of the level crossing. When the line was doubled in 1876 the station was staggered around the level crossing, reopening on 9 October of that year, with its main buildings, brick built and similar to other on the line, on the Sheffield-bound platform.

Westwood signal box, a tall M.S.& L.R. hipped-roof type, was on the Barnsley-bound side of the line. From 1876, when Absolute Block Working was introduced on the line, a second signal box was built to control the entry to Newbegin Colliery. Westwood signal box was closed in 1933 and replaced by a 6 lever ground frame to control the sidings and crossing gate locks. The control of its signals passed to Newbegin signal box.

Although passengers were sparse, the station was a second point for dealing with the traffic generated by Newton, Chambers & Company. That company's locomotive fleet used the line between here and Chapeltown in order to move between the two sites.

The station was closed on 28 October 1940. Although now heavily overgrown sections of the level crossing platform and buildings are visible to the naked eye. Westwood station being one of three stations built to serve the High Green and Chapeltown area to date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_railway_station

Best I can come up with.

EDIT :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Yorkshire_Railway That page explains a bit more.

Litfan

Seen this thanks. This station, seems to have totally disappeared. There are some pics in the "rails through Barnsley" book. It's the exact location I wanted really.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
litfan, i live just infront of the woods in which the line and the station used to be. Do you know the area at all as it is easier for me to explain if you do?

Litfan

Hey thanks. Yes, i live i hoyland. I have been over this area a few times, but, as you know, there have been a lot of changes, new roads, etc.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hey thanks. Yes, i live i hoyland. I have been over this area a few times, but, as you know, there have been a lot of changes, new roads, etc.
http://goo.gl/maps/jWFe
If you look at the centre of the picture there is a line in the trees going right to left across the screen, it is just visible. That is the old line if you follow it west it comes out of the wood, the path runs alongside the wood and just inside the wood is an old embankment, the station was along here where there were also houses for the miners.
Also where the rail line crosses the distinct path (shown as a road on google maps but it isnt really....) there is the remnants of the bridge abutments.

Litfan

Ah. Thanks a lot. I have been looking in the wrong place. I thought, it was in the clearing, where the line used to go. It used to go under the A61, then, a short stretch of wood, then a clearing, then back to woods. There are also some abutments along here. That is what has got me baffled.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now i`m confused. The co-ordinates, posted above, show the station as being here?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.48258,-1.48539&spn=0.01,0.01&t=m&q=53.48258,-1.48539

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Them co-ordinates are where i was trying to guide you to :) that is exactly where it was, sorry if my explanation wasn't very good.

Litfan

Thought so. Where was the entrance? There must have been a station house, booking office, waiting room, etc. Do any photos exist, anywhere?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Read in a book today. All traces of westwood station, dissapeared, when the area was landscaped in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.