• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wetheral - Great Corby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Whilst researching something for another topic I was looking at my 1925 Popular Edition Ordnance Survey map for Haltwhistle & Brampton and noticed that the station for Wetheral at that time was situated in Great Corby across the Eden Viaduct. Now today's station is definitely on the Wetheral side as a) I was there not that long ago and b) It is clearly shown there on my 1984 OS sheet 86. (The 1901/4 edition does not really help as it shows the word sta across the river)

Was there ever a station in Great Corby or is it just an error on the map?

As an aside this area is a great place for those that like to get off the beaten track. I'm starting to get a wee hankering for the small wayside stations on the Tyne Valley and S&C lines.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
There was a goods siding at Great Corby many years ago (possibly for the pub next to the level crossing)

madannie77

Whilst researching something for another topic I was looking at my 1925 Popular Edition Ordnance Survey map for Haltwhistle & Brampton and noticed that the station for Wetheral at that time was situated in Great Corby across the Eden Viaduct. Now today's station is definitely on the Wetheral side as a) I was there not that long ago and b) It is clearly shown there on my 1984 OS sheet 86. (The 1901/4 edition does not really help as it shows the word sta across the river)

Was there ever a station in Great Corby or is it just an error on the map?

As an aside this area is a great place for those that like to get off the beaten track. I'm starting to get a wee hankering for the small wayside stations on the Tyne Valley and S&C lines.

I don't think there has ever been a station in Great Corby. The station marked there on your map is probably an error. Wetheral station has, as far as I am aware, always been on the Wetheral side of the viaduct.

There was a goods siding at Great Corby many years ago (possibly for the pub next to the level crossing)

There was a coal depot at Great Corby, built by the Earl of Carlisle, presumably to serve his home just up the road, Corby Castle. It was in use in the very early days of the line and was the scene of a fatal accident in 1836, but I have no information when it closed. The description of the accident linked to is incorrect, as Great Corby is to the east of Wetheral, being on the opposite bank of the River Eden.

AJP62

The coal yard at Great Corby was still operational into the 70s I'm sure though by the late 70s, when I used to visit a friendly signalman in the box, it had gone. It was opperated by a coal merchant by then rather than a private yard.

I doubt there was a station in Great Corby as the one in Wetheral seems to date from the start of the line. There is a footpath link across to Great Corby along the side of the viaduct so the one station could serve both places. From memory the footpath used to have a toll collected on the Great Corby side from a house opposite the signal box.

Bevan Price

Established Member
North Eastern Lines & Stations (published by the NER Association ) does not list a station at Great Corby. Heading east from Carlisle, the stations were Scotby (NER line), Wetheral, Heads Nook, How Mill, Brampton Junction, Naworth, Low Row, Gilsland, Greenhead then Haltwhistle. Not sure if this paperback book is still in print - it only cost a few pounds when I bought on at a York model rail show some years ago. Their website is at:

http://www.ner.org.uk/

John55

I do not know the answer to this question but can I suggest a possible answer?

The passenger station at Wetheral is immediately on the west of the viaduct but the goods yard is at Great Corby immediately on the east of the viaduct with no road crossing of the river Eden for many miles in either direction.

So did the N&C (or NER) name the goods station Great Corby so anyone trying to gain access to the goods yard by road ended up on the correct side of the river? The OS surveyors may then have got confused or marked 2 stations on the map or some combination of the two.

Not all stations were used by passengers even in the country areas.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for all the reply guys. Most informative. Funny I was looking at the NER "Tile" map on York concourse on Saturday past. Didn't think to look at the Wetheral area - but then had not thought of the question yet! :oops:

We had headed down on the WCM/CGJ and one of my companions was intreested in Tebay Viaduct and where the old line went - map at York was worth a thousand words :)

I believe there is a company that will tile your house with a repoduction of the map - don't tell the wife <D

PinzaC55

Thanks for all the reply guys. Most informative. Funny I was looking at the NER "Tile" map on York concourse on Saturday past. Didn't think to look at the Wetheral area - but then had not thought of the question yet! :oops:

We had headed down on the WCM/CGJ and one of my companions was intreested in Tebay Viaduct and where the old line went - map at York was worth a thousand words :)

I believe there is a company that will tile your house with a repoduction of the map - don't tell the wife <D

http://www.northeasterntilecompany.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.