• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wetherspoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interestingly I was told by a Spoons Area manager that they are always happy to substitute and I have never been refused changing my chips and peas for a jacket and salad on Steak Night
They don't publisize this as otherwise too many ditherers would clog up the ordering system.

With one exception - people who are gluten free are recommended to substitute chips to jacket because the chips aren't proper chips, they're mashed potato in a light batter (McCain Home Fries).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Interestingly I was told by a Spoons Area manager that they are always happy to substitute and I have never been refused changing my chips and peas for a jacket and salad on Steak Night
They don't publisize this as otherwise too many ditherers would clog up the ordering system.

I have eaten breakfast in many different Spoons can't stand beans and have never been queried when wanting to swap for 2 eggs which can be fried poached or scrambled if one wants
Jumbel

With one exception - people who are gluten free are recommended to substitute chips to jacket because the chips aren't proper chips, they're mashed potato in a light batter (McCain Home Fries).

Also, if you look at their "Healthy Eating" menu (can't remember its exact name), it just suggest swapping things like chips for salad or jacket, have you burger without a bun, don't have dressing on the salad etc... Wish you could do these swaps via the app though. My missus always wants guacamole instead of sour cream with her chilli which means queuing at the bar.

mikeg

Established Member
I have to say I don't like their blatant anti-Brexit propaganda and their food may be below standard of many pubs but I do like the fact they serve real ale and semi-decent food at a very reasonable price. Their beer and a burger option often works out cheaper than McDonalds or Burger King, but is a lot better than these establishments will ever be. Take it for what it is.

Bedpan

Established Member
I have to say I don't like their blatant anti-Brexit propaganda and their food may be below standard of many pubs but I do like the fact they serve real ale and semi-decent food at a very reasonable price. Their beer and a burger option often works out cheaper than McDonalds or Burger King, but is a lot better than these establishments will ever be. Take it for what it is.
Actually they are vehemently pro-Brexit!!

mikeg

Established Member
Sorry proofreading fail there meant to say anti-eu but then was going to change it to pro brexit.

satisnek

I generally stopped going in Wetherspoon pubs in 2006, when they rolled out TV screens across the entire estate. This was in response to shareholder demand rather than customer demand - Tim Martin's original 'Moon Under Water' concept ended right there. However, the original, obtrusive 2006 kit has long been replaced and the few I've been in in recent years have either been split 50/50, screens/TV-free, or if they do have a TV then you have to go and look for it. It has to be said, though, that I have discovered some wonderful pubs in the past 13 years which I otherwise wouldn't have done because I would have simply defaulted to the nearest 'Spoons!

Bedpan

Established Member
In fairness some Spoons pubs have quite a lot of character although maybe associated with the previous use of teh building rather than as aan old established pub. I was thinking of th Winter Gardens (is that the right name?) in Harrogate and the one in Tunbridge Wells that used to be an Opera House. I don't go there so much now in view of the anti EU (nearly said Anti - Brexit!!!!) lies and drivel.

Jimini

Established Member
The Orangery in Exeter is one that springs to mind as a great find, just up the hill from St. David's station. Also the Royal Pavilion in Ramsgate is pretty impressive!

As for the worst I've been to - probably J.J Moon's in Tooting. Dear god!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I generally stopped going in Wetherspoon pubs in 2006, when they rolled out TV screens across the entire estate. This was in response to shareholder demand rather than customer demand - Tim Martin's original 'Moon Under Water' concept ended right there.

But with no sound and only subtitles, so not a massive issue.

I think the lack of music is actually another benefit of the pubs that isn't often mentioned. You can go there on your own to work (I've often had a breakfast and free-refill coffee and sat for an hour or two writing with little to no distractions*) and when with others, to talk.

* Only distraction is when they come around to change the breakfast menus to lunch, and I think most people can copy with that!

IanD

Established Member
The Orangery in Exeter is one that springs to mind as a great find, just up the hill from St. David's station. Also the Royal Pavilion in Ramsgate is pretty impressive!

As for the worst I've been to - probably J.J Moon's in Tooting. Dear god!

Will definitely give the Orangery a try when I'm in Exeter later in the year.

Had the misfortune to visit The Moon Under Water, Balham, JJ Moons in Tooting and The White Lion of Mortimer in Mitcham on the same bus outing early last year. All dire but the was just something about the WLoM that gave it the crown. Only the Tooting one is still a Wetherspoons.

Red Onion

There’s two ‘spoons in Aberdeen.

The first is Archibald Simpson’s which has some nice character to it and is a former bank. Generally quite a fine place to go (I’m away there later) and never seen any issues there. It has the standard maze to the toilets :lol:

The second is The Justice Mill and I must admit to not liking it, it has a more dubious clientele there and always found it to have a strange aroma.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The former bank locations certainly seem to have the most interesting routes to the toilets!

AlexNL

Established Member
As a tourist to the UK, going to a Wetherspoons is a safe bet: they can be found everywhere, the pubs are clean and have a generally nice ambiance, the food is decent and the prices are kind to the wallet. So far I've never been let down by a Wetherspoons.

I like how they take old/defunct buildings and reuse them, giving each place its own character.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think Tim did admit to having used the same carpet in more than one branch. I was shocked when I heard that!

Now with his Brexit nonsense, I would rather he said nothing at all!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But with no sound and only subtitles, so not a massive issue.

I think the lack of music is actually another benefit of the pubs that isn't often mentioned. You can go there on your own to work (I've often had a breakfast and free-refill coffee and sat for an hour or two writing with little to no distractions*) and when with others, to talk.

* Only distraction is when they come around to change the breakfast menus to lunch, and I think most people can copy with that!
The TV sound can mysteriously assert itself 'by public demand' e.g. England football matches!

Another thing that none originally had were fruit machines. I loathe the things.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The TV sound can mysteriously assert itself 'by public demand' e.g. England football matches!

Another thing that none originally had were fruit machines. I loathe the things.

I never play them but I don't find them a problem being there. They're just something that for me has always been there in the background in pubs.

Clip

Established Member
Love a spoons. great beer everywhere ive been to and ive been in a few.

Top marks for the velvet coaster in Blackpool too

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Orangery in Exeter is one that springs to mind as a great find, just up the hill from St. David's station.
The Imperial (The one with the Orangery) is our local.
It's a two mile walk from our house, a lovely building. Ok the food's not exactly gourmet, but we (as a family of 8) can have a meal out with drinks for a very decent price.
It gets pretty busy at times there though, it's nice when the University is on holidays, much quieter...
I believe Tim Martin lives near Exeter and this one of his favourites out of the pubs he owns. I've never seen him in there but the staff say he comes in from time to time and is pleasant.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Our local 'spoons has for major sporting events had sound on, but it's rare.

And the fruit machines are always on mute, so besides hearing the odd coin drop they aren't exactly doing any harm (besides fuelling gambling addiction perhaps!).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Our local 'spoons has for major sporting events had sound on, but it's rare.

And the fruit machines are always on mute, so besides hearing the odd coin drop they aren't exactly doing any harm (besides fuelling gambling addiction perhaps!).
They can be a damn nuisance if you're unlucky enough to be at a table right next to them: besides which, Tim Martin's original 'mission statement' or whatever said he wouldn't entertain them. Money talks, even when you've got more than enough!

jon0844

Veteran Member
They can be a damn nuisance if you're unlucky enough to be at a table right next to them: besides which, Tim Martin's original 'mission statement' or whatever said he wouldn't entertain them. Money talks, even when you've got more than enough!

You could sit at a table not near one!

bnm

Established Member
because the chips aren't proper chips, they're mashed potato in a light batter (McCain Home Fries).

Not true. McCain Home Chips and the ones they supply to Wetherspoons are not battered mash potato. They are whole chips in a light seasoned coating.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You could sit at a table not near one!
The majority of tables in my local Spoons are occupied all day, probably from opening time, so it's only the unpopular ones that become available e.g. those near the machines. I've learned not to go in when I can see those are the only ones left.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The majority of tables in my local Spoons are occupied all day, probably from opening time, so it's only the unpopular ones that become available e.g. those near the machines. I've learned not to go in when I can see those are the only ones left.

I'm actually quite surprised people play them these days, even when drunk. Since the jackpots increased, the hit ratio is quite appalling and they suck a fortune before giving a board, let alone a half decent win. The profile is so flat, and the only way to speed up play is to stake £1 a go and that's insane for a pub environment. People used to put the change from a tenner in for fun. Now you'll probably not get change from a tenner, and if you do it may be enough for just 1 or 2 spins!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They make the cider cheaper for me so I don't mind at all if others want to feed their money into them.

johntea

Established Member
I used to play fruit machines for quite a number of years on a semi professional level, but these days they are total rubbish and I wouldn't recommend playing them even at a 'casual' level!

In the past if you had half an idea what you were doing you could literally walk out with hundreds of quid, but the manufacturers obviously got wise to it eventually and now you'll struggle to win more than twenty quid after putting about that much in!

(You'll also notice these days a lot of 'digital' machines in the pubs which are totally random just like the bookies, heard a few horror stories on those despite only being £100 jackpot!)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I used to play fruit machines for quite a number of years on a semi professional level, but these days they are total rubbish and I wouldn't recommend playing them even at a 'casual' level!

In the past if you had half an idea what you were doing you could literally walk out with hundreds of quid, but the manufacturers obviously got wise to it eventually and now you'll struggle to win more than twenty quid after putting about that much in!

(You'll also notice these days a lot of 'digital' machines in the pubs which are totally random just like the bookies, heard a few horror stories on those despite only being £100 jackpot!)

I did too! I think I probably stopped around 2002 when machines were being chipped left, right and centre and ending up on a much flatter profile - as well as information being shared freely on forums.

Anyone interested in how people made money can see various YouTube channels that show how the pros used to play. A nice tax-free sideline and at times it was almost my main job. Sort of changes your outlook about these things.

I see next to no value in them these days, although I am no longer connected to other players to share tricks so I'm very much a mug punter if I do dabble for sentimental reasons.

Spamcan81

Haha, the type of pubs I frequent (or are they bars?) have more lager than Ale, but it's good Lager like Estrella, Budweiser, Heineken, Kozel, San Miguel etc

Ye gods. If you think anything from that list qualifies as good lager, Kozel excepted, then you’ve obviously never sampled a good lager.
As for ‘Spoons, I’ve visited good, bad and indifferent ones. Food is cheap and cheerful but not all ‘microwaved crap.” Steaks are good, some very good salads and the breakfasts are good. Almost always a good selection of ales and usually with one or two local ones available. I certainly don’t use them exclusively but happy to include one in a crawl.

Spamcan81

They don't, they buy draught stock that only has a shelf life of a week, the breweries are quite happy to do this, as it gets shot of product they'd normally have to dispose of because they wouldn't have sold it.
Therefore, Wetherspoons get it at a knock down price and sell it at a knock down price (in comparison to other pubs)

Another urban myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.