• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We've got the Key, it's no secret... (Smartcards on GTR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattdickinson

Validity of the Key (but not Keygo) has now been extended to Kings Lynn, Rainham, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Ashford International.

The map shows smaller Southeastern stations as "Collect tickets at Ticket Vending Machine", presumably as there are no gates or validators at these stations.

bubieyehyeh

That map still seems to imply you need a travelcard ticket in the pink shaded area. I've been querying this with Southern and then with London Overground.

This week after two months I got a reply from London Overground about if a non-travelcard ticket to Shepherds Bush on the key was valid on London Overground between Clapham Junct and Shepherds bush.

Southern initially implied I could only use Southern services, and not London Overground, since the key ticket wasn't a travel card. When I questioned further Southern admitted it was valid but LO couldn't read the key, so might cause issues.

So I ask LO and they say tickets on the key (but not keygo) are accepted on LO between clapham junction and shepherds bush.

Verulamius

It would appear that you can now use the Key between any two stations on the GTR and South Eastern networks.

Is this right?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes it is. Announced earlier this week.

guilbert

Happening this week so presumably hasn't happened yet then!
I logged in to check - there is now an option to add a rail card but it doesn't seem to actually work.

As an aside I also noticed the KeyGo charging doesn't seem to be working correctly - I wish I hadn't looked!

I logged in to check - there is now an option to add a rail card but it doesn't seem to actually work.

Per the email I received:
The process of adding a railcard to the Key smartcard requires manual verification by our customer relations team as a one-off process. As a result, we are promoting the upgrade initially to existing users of KeyGo before promoting the initiative network wide in September to help spread demand. For existing users, the ability to add railcards is being released in phases:
  1. Great Northern customers – today, 13th August 2020
  2. Thameslink customers – Wednesday 19th August 2020
  3. Southern customers - Wednesday 26th August 2020
... so I know what will fill a few minutes of my life next Wednesday 19th!

mattdickinson

Per the email I received:
The process of adding a railcard to the Key smartcard requires manual verification by our customer relations team as a one-off process. As a result, we are promoting the upgrade initially to existing users of KeyGo before promoting the initiative network wide in September to help spread demand. For existing users, the ability to add railcards is being released in phases:
  1. Great Northern customers – today, 13th August 2020
  2. Thameslink customers – Wednesday 19th August 2020
  3. Southern customers - Wednesday 26th August 2020
... so I know what will fill a few minutes of my life next Wednesday 19th!

It seems to be accessible for any GTR Keygo cardholders at https://ticket.greatnorthernrail.com/account/photocards-railcards

although you need a photo of your railcard, which could be tricky for digital railcards.

Maybe because it's only available online so the database is already accessible?
That’s a good point, considering the majority of other railcards (not sure about the 26-30) can be purchased at stations, requiring additional information and photographic evidence.

bubieyehyeh

If I bought a annual season ticket on the key, would this automatically enable the gold card discount on the keygo account for same key?

I'm guessing things aren't that joined up (GTR). I assume a gold record card would arrive in the post, and then I have to apply to have it have the discount added to the keygo.

Status
Not open for further replies.