• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Here are photos from a trip to Weymouth I took a while back, during this, I walked all the way down the Weymouth tramway, and back to the station via a chippy.

http://www.railuk.org/photos/thumbnails.php?album=21

thumb_DSC01267.JPG
thumb_DSC01299.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Very nice! I take it by 'Weymouth Tramway' you mean the line that 73s used to use to take 2 slammers (8 car formation) to Weymouth Quay for the boat trains? Three quarters of a mile through the public streets IIRC.

Simming

I thought it was used by 33s on mrk 1s for the boat trains.

Its a shame the lines mothballed, I would love to go down it!

Coxster

Established Member
Simming said:
I thought it was used by 33s on mrk 1s for the boat trains.

Its a shame the lines mothballed, I would love to go down it!
The 33s used to run 4-TCs to Weymouth after detaching at Bournemouth.

I suppose it must've been 33s and either slammers or coaches on the boat trains before the Bournemouth-Weymouth electrification as Class 73's diesel pulling power isn't the greatest!

AlexS

Established Member
It was used by both, whatever happened to be available at Bournemouth depot really. The Class 73 had enough power to move an 8 coach train at 4 miles per hour. Nice line, I walked the length of it several times in the past. The last train down there was 1999, btw, when a Dutch pair of 73s pulled two CIGs down there on an excursion. I was there the week before, when they were preparing the line, I wish I could have stayed another week.

Julian G

Established Member
i like the photos
you learn a bit more about areas you haven't been to :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice. I walked a short bit of it last time I visited Weymouth, found it to be quite weird to have a rail line through the streets. Unique experience though!

Status
Not open for further replies.