• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What a difference a day makes (Being bowled!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Firstly, a little explanation for people who normally associate being bowled with the sport of Cricket. As a railway photographer, there are many ways of being bowled. Having a train in front on the adjacent tracks block your intended train, having a train behind your intended train show up and slightly ruin the shot. Having the loco and/or wagons you expect removed along the way, so you end up photographing a different train. If there are problems, sometimes a train will be diverted away from where you are waiting. A train can be heavily delayed and turn up when the sun has 'gone around' too much, or finally, and especially on a fully sunny day, a small cloud or jet trail can come along and ruin the shot.

This thread is dedicated to the very last way of 'being bowled', which was especially annoying as the locomotive is one of only two 'sponsorhip' liveried locos owned by Freightliner. Needless to say, I was fuming, plus there was a little 'back bowl' from a unit behind the train too. So, when I heard the train would be running again the next day, and the special loco would still be on it, I thought I'd head out and try to right the wrong.

What a difference a day makes!
img0917hu.jpg

img0991rf.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not sure if you have been "bowled" this way before, but I was waiting for the Jarrow tanks at Durham, and the 66 in DB red (new at the time) had been seen working the trip in the York area. I actually passed it on the way up, but it was held around Northallerton so thought I had plenty of time to set up, which I did. However I then got a phonecall, and at the exact same time it comes speeding around the corner, and all I get is an out of focus shot. Bugger.

Ferret

Established Member
Not sure if you have been "bowled" this way before, but I was waiting for the Jarrow tanks at Durham, and the 66 in DB red (new at the time) had been seen working the trip in the York area. I actually passed it on the way up, but it was held around Northallerton so thought I had plenty of time to set up, which I did. However I then got a phonecall, and at the exact same time it comes speeding around the corner, and all I get is an out of focus shot. Bugger.

I nearly bowled myself for 37706 at Stableford by reading a text message if that counts?! Just got the camera lifted up in time!!! Phone got dropped in a panic though....!

Established Member
Anyone dropped their camera out of the window of a moving train? Tocuh wood I haven't done it, and never seen it happen but always wondered if someone had.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone dropped their camera out of the window of a moving train? Tocuh wood I haven't done it, and never seen it happen but always wondered if someone had.

A well known railway and travel photography has dropped their blackberry out of a window... :lol:

Ferret

Established Member
A well known railway and travel photography has dropped their blackberry out of a window... :lol:

Somebody recently dropped his phone in the sink on tour! Cue a series of heckles from myself...as you'd expect!:lol:

GB

Established Member
Not bowled in the usual sense but only a few months ago I had my bag stolen containing a lens, wallet, house keys, memory cards, spare batteries and work ID....I can't tell you how sick and ****ed off I was!

Fortunately my netbook and car keys were not in there at the time and thankfully my insurance covered it all which in the end resulted in me being better off...but still!

starrymarkb

Established Member
That's because you are using a phone camera. Similarly the appearance of leaning moving objects shows the cheap CMOS sensor in the phone isn't up to the job.

The cameras on many cellphones are slow scanning digital cameras. When capturing an image, they do not expose all the pixels at the same time. Rather they expose and capture one row of the sensor before moving onto the next. What this means is that different rows (or columns, depending on the orientation of the sensor) of the image are captured at different times. And during this interval the blades move appreciably.

I'd suggest a dedicated camera - a compact would yield better results and would cost £50-£100.

Status
Not open for further replies.