• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What A excuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

I was on the 06:20 Off Doncaster to Glasgow central yesterday. outside Newcastle we were stooped in the snow and we then rolled into Newcastle. And the guard said ' I regret to inform passengers that this service will be unable to go forward until we get a rescue locomotive to take us north because a Iceacle fell of a bridge and cracked the window'

Anyway the driver decided to take 91101 up to Glasgow with this- http://www.ajp.fotopic.net/p26563202.html

We only arrived 20 minutes late, but we were only allowed to go 100mph because of snow.

:D :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'm sure it's not the first time. It's a good job it wasn't the drivers window or you would have likely had to stop where it happened since it would have effected the drivers view of the line (had it been a road vehicle it would have been a failure instantly though since it would have effected the drivers all round vision). Oviosuly since it's laminated glass, the chance of it getting further damage would be unlikely but they would have had to make sure the driver was happy both with his vision and that the window wasn't going to cave in and shower him with glass (i presume the speed restriction was to reduce the stress on the windscreen).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can't see any damage or reason not to floor it up to Glasgow myself. That picture certainly doesn't show, to me, where the damage or affected area is. On a off-topic note, it is nice to know 91101 does run then, it being the last piece of junk I need to see, in terms of ECML passenger locos. Plenty more GNER junk I need to see, but I'd prefer to finish the 91s by the end of the winter (so end of March really).

AJP

ChrisCooper said:
I'm sure it's not the first time. It's a good job it wasn't the drivers window or you would have likely had to stop where it happened since it would have effected the drivers view of the line (had it been a road vehicle it would have been a failure instantly though since it would have effected the drivers all round vision). Oviosuly since it's laminated glass, the chance of it getting further damage would be unlikely but they would have had to make sure the driver was happy both with his vision and that the window wasn't going to cave in and shower him with glass (i presume the speed restriction was to reduce the stress on the windscreen).

Proberly but the guard said that

ChrisCooper

Established Member
FGWFan said:
I can't see any damage or reason not to floor it up to Glasgow myself. That picture certainly doesn't show, to me, where the damage or affected area is. On a off-topic note, it is nice to know 91101 does run then, it being the last piece of junk I need to see, in terms of ECML passenger locos. Plenty more GNER junk I need to see, but I'd prefer to finish the 91s by the end of the winter (so end of March really).

The right hand window (from the driver's point of view) is badly cracked. Luckely trains have laminated glass on the windscreen since it could have shattered and sent broken glass flying into the cab. It would have seriously effected the view out of the window (as I said, a car with damage to the windscreen like that wouldn't be roadworthy, but train drivers don't need the same all round visability). As I said, it would have been the driver's call, and he decided to take it, but at low speed.

David

Established Member
Just imagine this, your at the controls and something hits the window unexpectadly, what would your reaction be?

A similar thing has happened to me before, so I know what what the reaction is. The smell of **** can get overpowering at times....

nutter

As the first post said, the speed restriction was due to snow. If you get a snow cloud after a train then all trains that are allowed to go over 100 mph get restricted to 100mph to IMO give track gangs more warning as trains wont approach out of nowhere so fast

metrocammel

Although I sound cynical, I suppose it is worth the drivers while to cancel a train, as if he does, he wont have to complete his shift... but I imagine still will get paid for the same work he'd have done without the problem. OK, this situation is perhaps not the best, as there was some, albeit minor looking, damage... but there are some things a driver will cancel a train for- that really baffles me.... I still dont understand why that ONE service (on ACoRP Saturday) to London was caped with a broken windscreen wiper at Norwich - Im sure they would have been able to get a spare to Liverpool Street in time for it to be replaced there - or even just delay the service at Norwich and fix it there and then? - But No....

ChrisCooper

Established Member
metrocammel said:
Although I sound cynical, I suppose it is worth the drivers while to cancel a train, as if he does, he wont have to complete his shift... but I imagine still will get paid for the same work he'd have done without the problem. OK, this situation is perhaps not the best, as there was some, albeit minor looking, damage... but there are some things a driver will cancel a train for- that really baffles me.... I still dont understand why that ONE service (on ACoRP Saturday) to London was caped with a broken windscreen wiper at Norwich - Im sure they would have been able to get a spare to Liverpool Street in time for it to be replaced there - or even just delay the service at Norwich and fix it there and then? - But No....

Sorry, that's the rules. A train is not allowed to run if the windscreen wipers arn't working, or if the windscreen is damage in any way that would effect the driver's visability. I've seen a train cancelled at Norwich due to the 90 being turned and the windscreen that was now going to be leading was filthy and even by the best efforts of the staff couldn't be cleaned. The driver was quite right to refuse to take it. The only irritiating thing was that they spent such a time trying to clean it that it was almost time for the next service to leave when they finally cancelled, wheras had they cancelled from the start they would have been able to step back the set behind.
These same things occur with road vehicles. If you drive your car without working windscreen wipers it is illigal, or with any other thing that would prevent you having a good view through the windscreen (like those idiots who think it's fine to drive around after clearing a tiny bit of snow from the windscreen).
I wasn't their with this incident at Newcastle, but from what I have read, plus other knowledge, the window was not damaged enough for the train to be un-usable (in which case it wouldn't have gone any further than where the incident happened without assistance or special measures being taken), but it was up to the driver. Newcastle is a driver change point, so the driver taking over wouldn't have been able to decide if he was happy to take it until the train arrived. Oviously he was, which is why the train made it to Glasgow.
When it comes to drivers cancelling services deliberatly, I bet it does happen, but I'm sure it's a small minority, and I doubt they would get away with it to much without arising suspition from managers.

In snow conditions trains are restricted to 100mph anyway. There are also other rules that apply in the snow.

TheSlash

Established Member
In the fog and falling snow, to the signal you must go.

Track gangs won't go out in snow unless it's an emergency, due to the extremely reduced visibility. If it's an emergency, we can ask the signaller to caution trains which in turn reduces the sighting distance needed.

Trains are restricted in speed to give them more warning time and less braking distance for snow drifts blocking the line

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A train is not allowed to run if the windscreen wipers arn't working

I have seen several 321s on Central Trains services with a windscreen wiper bent outwards

Tom B

Established Member
The attitude of some posters is rather strange. If you were driving a train with a badly cracked windscreen, would you like to drive through a snowstorm at 125mph?

Sprog

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
The attitude of some posters is rather strange. If you were driving a train with a badly cracked windscreen, would you like to drive through a snowstorm at 125mph?

My sentiments exactly. :mad: You lot that are soo bemused about whay the driver didnt 'open her up' and accuse GNER of making excuses. Please, dont open your trap unless you are better informed. :roll:

Thank You.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
spm_43030 said:
My sentiments exactly. :mad: You lot that are soo bemused about whay the driver didnt 'open her up' and accuse GNER of making excuses. Please, dont open your trap unless you are better informed. :roll:

Thank You.
Who is "you lot"? Have I missed something? I can't find anyone moaning that the driver didn't go at full speed, and I can't find anyone accusing GNER of making excuses.

All I can see here is a debate. If AJP was "bemused", why did he use the :D emoticon? I am confused...

Sprog

Established Member
Im questioning the whole purpose of this thread! :mad:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
spm_43030 said:
Im questioning the whole purpose of this thread! :mad:
If you don't want to participate in a discussion, then simply don't press reply.

I don't see what you're angry about. Having read the topic, I can't find anything particularly controversial or argumentative.

TheSlash

Established Member
FGWFan said:
I can't see any damage or reason not to floor it up to Glasgow myself. That picture certainly doesn't show, to me, where the damage or affected area is.

Yorkie, take note

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TheSlash said:
Yorkie, take note
If you are suggesting he was moaning, no I don't think he was. He probably thought the crack was a reflection in the glass. If I just saw the photo without reading it was a crack, I'd have thought the same.

Andy

tell me a time when the excuse has been acceptable for being late.

Tomnick

Established Member
Trespassers on the line...damaged OHLE...adverse weather conditions...failed freight train...failed '373' set (and yes, that is an acceptable 'excuse')...the list goes on.

Tom B

Established Member
Oh yes, GNER just love to be late, they do it on purpose... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.