• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What age is a drivers job out of reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItchyRsole

Directed more at people in the know. Is there an age that's earmarked as a cut off point for potential new drivers?

I've always fancied driving but happy where I am for the next 3-4 years minimum where I'll then be 43

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

I personally know a bloke who got in at 55, he's now late '60's and still drives, was an external applicant too.

On the other hand, I'm early-mid twenties and I'm finding the Driver Manager Interviews pretty tough, I have some very good experience but just not enough in terms of quantity from what I can see.

ItchyRsole

Thanks mate. What's different in a drivers managers interview as opposed to a regular interview if you don't mind me asking, just out of interest.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Directed more at people in the know. Is there an age that's earmarked as a cut off point for potential new drivers?

I've always fancied driving but happy where I am for the next 3-4 years minimum where I'll then be 43

My particular group of trainees ranges from early 20s - mid 50s, average age late 30s.

Looking at other trainees at my depot, the greatest weighting is the range from early 30s - mid 40s. I can't imagine applying at 43 would pose you any problems at all. If anything it would be seen as a benefit in an industry where life experience and maturity are valued, perhaps more so than other careers.

Another point to consider is that "off the street" driver recruitment seems to be feast or famine. There are quite a few opportunities around at the moment with various TOCs. This has been the case for the last couple of years, but I remember a period prior to this where there was precious little out there for years on end. So, if you do fancy it, I would say apply sooner rather than later to benefit from the current boom.

Also, keep in mind the process can take two years or more from first application to start date.

Best of luck!

Louby

I'm 43 and I'm on my 4 week of training and off the street

DarloRich

Veteran Member

you cant discriminate on the grounds of age therefore no age should be out of reach.

Flying_Turtle

I have 40 and certainly haven t felt discriminated. What they can invoke is the costs of training vs useful working years but have heard of plenty late 50 s mates going in. Besides over 40 s tend to be seen safer and more reliable workers (sorry about the younger ones but Ican say that out of my own experience. Life experience helps you out a lot in train driving)

Last edited:
I read somewhere the average age of a newly qualified driver is 36, but that includes internals. Off the street would be older as TOC's value life experience and as has been previously mentioned, reliability.

WCMLaddict

I would say it's internals that would push the average higher. That's at least in my depot.

G136GREYHOUND

Loads get taken on into their 50's. If you meet the criteria, it will be no object, lots of very young new drivers out there, lots of older new ones. It's attitude, application and dedication that count, not age ( plus luck on the HR sift ! )

oxoneil

I applied at age 47 and am 50 soon......still in the black hole which is the talent pool.

GMT

I applied at age 47 and am 50 soon......still in the black hole which is the talent pool.

Have you been waiting for three years? Not even the assessment so far?

I applied for a shunter position with Southeastern last June when I was 50 (future opportunities), HR sent me a couple of emails telling me that they would let me know once...they know, but if we carry on this way they may call me for the assessment couple of years before retirement age :).

col68

im on drivers course now and im 48

oxoneil

Have you been waiting for three years? Not even the assessment so far? .

I passed manager's interview in June 2014. As far as I can make out nobody has been on a training course and gone to Oxford since then.

The Lad

Northern state between 20 and 62 on the website, its as much passing the medical as anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.