What am I being Prosecuted for?

Discussion in 'Disputes & Prosecutions' started by kaygee276, 9 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furlong

furlong Established Member

Well there are still neither posters at stations nor (easily-implemented) buttons on touch-screen TVMs for displaying a copy of the NRCoT - and see how much trouble it causes even asking for a copy at a ticket office nowadays! A walk-up purchaser is rarely offered access to the T&Cs of the contract at the time of purchase.

2. island

island Established Member

That has nothing to do with anything. The term "jobsworth" is a contraction of the phrase "more than my job's worth to _____", in other words someone who is afraid they will be disciplined or sacked for taking a proposed course of action such as bending a rule.

• Weekly seasons aren't on the database.
    Then everyone needs new Photocards issuing.
    The TVM will have notices attached or adjacent stating that tickets are subject to the NRCOT.

3. cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun Established Member

It's on the photocard.

4. cporter

cporter Member

the key would there is "should", if it said "must" like the rest of it you would be correct.

personally if I was the OP, and my original ticket didn't have "VALID ONLY WITH PHOTOCARD NO XXX" in the top right, I would be demanding a refund from TSGN for the additional ticket they made me incorrectly purchase, plus an "administration charge" for time I'd spent dealing with their technical mistake.

failing that I'd investigate court action.

seems only fair to go after them for their technical mistake here in the same way their revenue protection teams go after people for similar extremely minor mistakes.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2017
  5. Clip

Clip Established Member

Oh the joys of this forum trying to find an out with some spurious reading inot things that are not there.

I would like to point out that to get a photocard with your first season you get one from the booking office which you then agree to the T&Cs of the ticket there and then and the forms you fill out state this.

Im sorry if this isnt what you want to hear but its a silly discussion really.

6. cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun Established Member

You missed the following sentence.

It must not be used by any other person. That covers them

7. cuccir

cuccir Established Member

There's an obvious point here that despite all the hand-wringing and discussion, the OP is not yet being prosecuted.

Furthermore, discussions over the fairness of prosecuting under errors of number-inputting ought to distinguish between someone hypothetically making a small error, such as transposing two digits or accidentally inputting a '0' in the number, and the OP who admits to having 'guessed' at their number.

The point that I'm making I think is that discussions of alternative ways of validating season tickets seem to add little here. Whether the need for the ticket to match the photo-card is adequately advertised is something the OP may want to consider if there's a move to prosecution, though at this point I'd expect some skepticism as to whether this is really the case. I think maybe we need to hold off until kaygee276 returns with any updates...

8. paulweaver

paulweaver Established Member

Because those numbers have checksums and other bits of information to help ensure the number is correct, because those companies don't have an incentive for people to get the number wrong.

9. cporter

cporter Member

if she bought it for herself and used it herself she's not another person, and the TOC would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt otherwise, which is a lot harder than saying "photocard number doesn't match", and producing the evidence

10. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Neither account numbers nor amounts have checksums.
    Neither do TOCs, really. It's just as much work for a bank to trace a missing payment as it is for a TOC to investigate potential misuse of a season ticket.

11. island

island Established Member

Credit and debit card numbers and bank accounts do have checksums.

12. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I know that debit/credit card numbers have checksums but are you sure that bank account numbers do as well? Sort codes don't, there's just a big list of valid codes.

13. paulweaver

Yes, feel free to validate at https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/

14. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I'm familiar with that site, however I'm not convinced that it's checksum based as it does the work server side, card number validation can be done client side.

15. paulweaver

https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/modulus-checking.html

The banking industry wants to minimise customers who make mistakes. The railway industry doesn't really care, as they can take anyone who does make a mistake to court.

16. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

This wasn't a mistake, it was an unneccessary guess. They also aren't going to court (yet). 99% of the wibble in this thread is irrelevant (yet again).
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Well done for missing the point. The point being that in the case of those numbers, particularly banking, people wouldn't be making a guess.

17. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

If you read that page it makes it clear that modulus checking does not provide a foolproof check against invalid input:

18. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

This should be added to the thread title as all the posts pointing out these two salient facts seem to be ignored.

19. talldave

talldave Established Member

I bought an annual season ticket today, and the photocard number on the season ticket has two leading digits that are not on my photocard. So it seems to suit the rail industry to provide mis-matching data when it fancies, but to jump on passengers when they get it wrong.

But since I only use the season ticket as a Gold Card, the photocard's rarely checked.

20. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This is getting far off topic.

If the OP wishes to continue with this thread when new communication is received, or simply that she has further questions, please get in touch with one of the forum staff and we will be happy to assist. Until then, this is locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.