• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are difference between Chiltern only and via High wycombe tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

I'm not sure if I've asked this question before but I'm planning to buy BMO - MYB ticket and I have two options stated on the title.

What are the differences between them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
'Rte Chiltern Trains only' allows you only to use Chilterns trains, it cannot be excessed to use any other train operating company (TOC).

'Rte High Wycombe' allows you to use any TOC, but your ticket is only valid on trains which pass through or stop at High Wycombe, or for use on routes where a cheaper fare between your origin and destination applies. It can be excessed for use on another TOC or route.

dzug2

A route High Wycombe ticket would allow the use of other operators on the Birmingham - Banbury or even Kings Sutton section of the journey

TSR :D

A route High Wycombe ticket would allow the use of other operators on the Birmingham - Banbury or even Kings Sutton section of the journey

And what other operators this would be?

clagmonster

Established Member
Birmingham-Coventry: Virgin, LM
Birmingham-Coventry-Leamington-Banbury: XC
Bimingham-Solihull-Leamington: LM
Banbury-Kings Sutton: FGW
West Ruislip-South Ruislip: LUL

Lad Brookes

CrossCountry (Banbury-Birmingham), London Midland (Leamington/Dorridge/Coventry-Birmingham), Virgin (Coventry-Birmingham), fGW (Banbury-King's Sutton)

SS4

Established Member
No expert, but is part of this a legacy from Wrexham & Shropshire days?

Don't think so. IIRC it [Chiltern Only] came in when Chiltern simplified (and took advantage to raise prices at the same time) the fares with the opening of Mainline

bnm

Established Member
The ticket will be issued from/to Birmingham Stations. Therefore you could travel with CrossCountry between Birmingham and Banbury.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No expert, but is part of this a legacy from Wrexham & Shropshire days?

Before privatisation there were no TOC specific fares (obviously!) so geographic routes were used. The High Wycombe fares date from this time and are protected fares (i.e. Can't be removed by Chiltern). The Chiltern Only fares are a fudge to get Chiltern's m-tickets to work IIRC and aren't supposed to be sold through other means.

dzug2

And ATW (New Street to International) also comes into the picture as an alternative operator

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Just out of pure curiosity, would a route High Wycombe ticket be valid via Banbury > Oxford > Bicester Town > walk to Bicester North > Marylebone? I presume it would. It would have to be valid once there are direct trains from Oxford to London via High Wycombe, wouldnt it?

34D

Established Member
Just out of pure curiosity, would a route High Wycombe ticket be valid via Banbury > Oxford > Bicester Town > walk to Bicester North > Marylebone? I presume it would. It would have to be valid once there are direct trains from Oxford to London via High Wycombe, wouldnt it?

Are you referring here to an Oxford-London Terminals ticket?

calc7

Established Member
And of course route High Wycombe tickets are perfectly valid on Virgin Voyagers scheduled to be diverted to go through High Wycombe (or Aylesbury) no matter how little their management may like it.

34D

Established Member
Depends on the permitted routes.

The forthcoming direct service is unlikely to change things for Birmingham-London, unless the maps get updated.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

It does not feature as a mapped route for Birmingham/Banbury/Leamington Spa-London, I doubt it is the shortest route (or within three miles of it) and there are no direct trains by that route. I do not know of an easement allowing that route (which would be odd given that an easement forbids journeys to Bicester North going via Oxford and Bicester Town).

RPM

Established Member
And of course route High Wycombe tickets are perfectly valid on Virgin Voyagers scheduled to be diverted to go through High Wycombe (or Aylesbury) no matter how little their management may like it.

Why would Virgin Voyagers be routed through Aylesbury? I'm not aware this has ever happened. I suppose if the WCML was closed and the Chiltern Main Line was blocked between Aynho and Princes Risborough then you could run VT services to London via Oxford, Claydon, Aylesbury & Princes Risborough but it isn't very likeley. :?

oversteer

Why would Virgin Voyagers be routed through Aylesbury? I'm not aware this has ever happened. I suppose if the WCML was closed and the Chiltern Main Line was blocked between Aynho and Princes Risborough then you could run VT services to London via Oxford, Claydon, Aylesbury & Princes Risborough but it isn't very likeley. :?

I think that would probably be the ultimate "bash"

Maybe he means reversing at Aylesbury / PR like those rare occasions when the CML gets blocked between PR and Neasden

RPM

Established Member
I think that would probably be the ultimate "bash"

Maybe he means reversing at Aylesbury / PR like those rare occasions when the CML gets blocked between PR and Neasden

Voyagers can't go over the Met though - no type approval or tripcocks.

barrykas

Established Member
Voyagers can't go over the Met though - no type approval or tripcocks.

And even if they did have tripcocks, a double Voyager (as is generally used on "Blockade Busters") wouldn't be allowed on the Met without permission from the Line Controller due to their length.

Status
Not open for further replies.