• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are service numbers for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There are a few topics about who is responsible for allocating bus service numbers, and the answer seems to be it is uncontrolled and there is very little logic to it. In this topic I am asking a slightly different question, which is what is the purpose of the number in the first place?

I suppose, on a legal/government basis, they could be for ease of reference between civil servants, councillors and the like. However, they are also displayed on the outside of most buses, next to the destination. This suggests to me they are also intended to be useful for passengers in some respect or other. While the legals seem to refer to 'service numbers', they are often known as 'route numbers'. The latter term makes sense from a passenger perspective, as assuming the number uniquely* identifies a route this means a passenger who knows the routes in the area can know where a bus is going from just the information on the destination display (route number and final destination). Thus, the passenger would not have to look at a timetable to know if the bus they can see in front of them goes where they want to get.

* By this I mean locally unique, so that no town is served by different routes with the same number.

I've started this topic primarily because there seems to be absolutely no logic behind Ceredigion council's numbering of services, in the south-west of the county at least and possibly elsewhere. The concept of route numbers does not apply here at all, there are more routes than numbers and yet there are a handful of workings which have a different number from other workings on the same route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

Broadly speaking, there isn't necessarily any logic to it at all.

Outside London, where TfL set route numbers (at least for their own services), operators are free to set whatever route numbers they like, or in some cases (Trent Barton springs to mind as one) service names.

I think there is a requirement for a service number / name to be declared to the traffic commissioners when registering a service, but don't think there's a requirement to show it on the vehicle. Each service registration has a unique reference number in the traffic commissioners' system, but it is possible to register different chunks of the same (public) route number on different registrations for whatever reason, or to have one registration covering two or more services.

Journey planners like Traveline tend to require a service number, although it can be two or three letters in the absence of anything else.

Tendering authorities outside London may choose to allocate service numbers but don't have to. In some cases they will do this on the basis of the number of the former service, or (if it's a Sunday / evening service on an otherwise commercial route) they may specify that the route carries the same number as the daytime commercial route. Surrey at one time used the 5xx sequence for tendered services, so if the daytime commercial bit was the 408, the Sunday tendered service would have been the 508.

Or they may just allocate a contract number which operators may choose to make the service number (common with school / college routes.)

You can end up with multiple (and completely different) routes in the same town with the same number, or multiple operators competing on the same route with different route numbers.

I have a vague recollection that there one operator was threatening a competing operator with court action of some sort for running on the same route number, but don't think it ever got anywhere near court.

The National Bus Company and some PTE's were fond of 'rationalising' route numbers to make things tidier from an administrative perspective, but not sure it really benefited passengers after 1980s MAP Project when (for example) all the services in and around Grantham were re-numbered 600+ and all those around Boston were 500+ and so on. (Those that are still run by Stagecoach Lincolnshire have mostly reverted to their original route numbers, e.g. the 1 Lincoln - Grantham - although the Kings Lynn - Spalding 505 has retained its MAP service number through a series of independent operators)

Some operators go in for ensuring that every minor variation of a service has a separate route number (even if that's a suffix) - some are more broad brush - an extreme being my current local bus route which is First Berkshire's service 90, Reading - Bracknell, albeit with two completely different lines of route at the Bracknell end of the route.

ECML180

As has been said - there is no real logic to it, other than the fact that it is supposed to denote a service or route.

Basically if 2 buses carry the same number, they should go the same way. Combined with the destination passengers can work out how far down that route they will go. Unfortunately some operators don't see the value in this simple and clear system and will have 2 routes in the same area with the same numbers. :roll:

Does make you wonder what they hope to gain!

I'd like to see the numbers tidied in a number of places but at the end of the day if the TC went about allocating numbers there would be a lot less fun for people like Trent Barton with choosing names and 'nice' numbers!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Some local authorities when tendering a service will decide the route number and also insist this is shown on the front of the vehicle. Please note I deliberately used both the word service and the word route. The world's largest bus company by far (London Transport) has, over the decades, used each of those words but not at the same time! The orthodoxy of one period suddenly becomes unacceptable until it swings back again.

Doesn't anti-discrimination legislation have something to say about display of route numbers front and back?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Basically if 2 buses carry the same number, they should go the same way. Combined with the destination passengers can work out how far down that route they will go. Unfortunately some operators don't see the value in this simple and clear system and will have 2 routes in the same area with the same numbers. :roll:
It is not just operators, as I said in the original post there are Ceredigion council-funded services that aren't numbered in a way that is useful to passengers. The Welsh Government are at it too with their TrawsCymru network (though specific discussions on that are probably best left to the TrawsCambria/TrawsCymru topic I started ages ago).

The part of you post that I've bolded is essentially the way I think it should be, 'route numbers' rather than meaningless 'service numbers'. To put it another way, if I had a route A1 going from B to D via C then surely a bus going from B to D via E instead of C should not be carrying the route number A1. Otherwise, a passenger wanting to go to point C could jump on an 'A1' and find themselves in E instead of C.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think you're over complicating things. For a start, calling it a route number or service number is, to most people, semantics. They regard them as one and the same.

The only real confusion is where you potentially have two routes in the same town with the same number such as in Newcastle where both Stagecoach and Go Ahead both have Service 1. For most people, they'll know the difference but perhaps confusing for non regulars or those new to the area. However, Bath and Bristol both have service 5 operated by First but they're in separate cities and don't overlap so unlikely that there's any real issue.

The argument that you need a separate number for each and every route variation is dubious. You may have a service with a once a day variation (to serve a school) - would a small variation justify a separate number or just cause more confusion?

Some counties used to have separate numbers if only to signify that they were tendered (to highlight the council support) in Avon and Cleveland. Hence, a service could have a different number on a Sunday despite being the same route as Mon to Sat!

In the 1960s, new fangled computerisation meant some firms did adopt company wide numbering systems (I think the Lincolnshire example may have been an example).

And, of course, Exeter and Cheltenham have a long standing tradition in having LETTERS not numbers for local routes.

Liam

Established Member
The only real confusion is where you potentially have two routes in the same town with the same number such as in Newcastle where both Stagecoach and Go Ahead both have Service 1. For most people, they'll know the difference but perhaps confusing for non regulars or those new to the area. However, Bath and Bristol both have service 5 operated by First but they're in separate cities and don't overlap so unlikely that there's any real issue.

St Andrews has two different 92's. One by Stagecoach around the various parts of the University, the other by Moffat and Williamson goes out to Tayport, Newport (and Dundee in the evenings.) There are notices in St Andrews Bus Station indicating that M&W don't stop in the bus station.

There are also a few other Stagecoach/Moffat and Williamson clashes (65 and 23 ring a bell) where M&W have won school tenders from Stagecoach, and kept the same route number, while Stagecoach continue to run the non-school service.

Some counties used to have separate numbers if only to signify that they were tendered (to highlight the council support) in Avon and Cleveland. Hence, a service could have a different number on a Sunday despite being the same route as Mon to Sat!

This happens in Dunfermline, but not elsewhere in Fife, before a massive renumbering the daytime commercial services would begin 7, the evening subsidised service would begin 8, i.e. 75 during the day, 85 in the evening. Now its commercial service 1, subsidised service 1A.

However, in the East of Fife, 95 has some commercial work, some council subsidised, but both are numbered 95 regardless, 41 is similar.

And, of course, Exeter and Cheltenham have a long standing tradition in having LETTERS not numbers for local routes.

IIRC, First Aberdeen went for colours for a spell. I felt for those folks living on the 'brown line'.

ECML180

It is not just operators, as I said in the original post there are Ceredigion council-funded services that aren't numbered in a way that is useful to passengers.

I can't comment on that specific case, but councils are often not too bothered about the numbers used and leave that to the tender winner to choose. However I've never known a local authority be too bad with numbering, sometimes a 'service number' covers a number of routes due to it having a lot of variations throughout the day or week, but it is often suitable similar enough not to really matter. The only real problem I have is when the numbers are duplicated and I've never experience that with LA-supported services(not to say it hasn't happened though!).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
From outside Nottingham station and from a couple of stops in West Bridgford there are two route 9's that are otherwise totally different. I think there should be a requirement that at least the numbers should be unique within a group of adjacent stops.

TrentBarton tends to use the same name, or formerly number, for a range of destinations that aren't on the same line of route but share a common "core" route. I think what is now Indigo was at one time 5A, 5B etc and they announced that passengers found the suffixes confusing so they all became "Rainbow 5".

First have done the same with the 184 in Manchester, which retains its countywide number from the 70s but now takes several different routes at the outer end so the Diggle buses go through Dobcross and the Huddersfield ones serve some but not all of the Diggle stops but miss Dobcross completely.

And people wonder why visitors to an area find the buses so confusing...

Last edited:

Josie

The most ridiculous example I've seen: Finglands operated the 48 from Manchester to Northenden. They also operated the 41 from Manchester to Sale via Northenden. Stagecoach also operated the 41 but extended it to Altrincham.

A few years ago Stagecoach made their journeys limited stop, and renumbered them X41. (There is already another X41 in Manchester, but that's another matter.) On the same day, Finglands apparently realised the 48 was just a short working of the 41 and renumbered it 41X. Meanwhile, Finglands had the tender for the evening service which ran the full route to Altrincham, and they served all stops under the number 41A (this number was only shown on buses, never on stops/timetables/maps etc.).

So for a few months there was 41, 41A, 41X and X41 all running on the same route by different companies who don't accept each other's tickets. Lots of confusion.

Eventually Finglands extended their 41X through to Sale and dropped the suffix, and the A also seems to have disappeared since their takeover by First.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I think you're over complicating things. For a start, calling it a route number or service number is, to most people, semantics. They regard them as one and the same.
Yes, they are the same thing in general. I'm just trying to make the distinction between ones which, together with the final destination, tell you where the bus is going and those that don't.

However, Bath and Bristol both have service 5 operated by First but they're in separate cities and don't overlap so unlikely that there's any real issue.
I agree there's no problem there. It is when there are different routes with the same number serving the same place that there can be problems.

The only real confusion is where you potentially have two routes in the same town with the same number such as in Newcastle where both Stagecoach and Go Ahead both have Service 1. For most people, they'll know the difference but perhaps confusing for non regulars or those new to the area.
That's almost exactly what I'm getting at, there are several routes out of Cardigan given service number X50 and others given service number 554. The difference is in that case all the routes are covered by the same operator.

I can't comment on that specific case, but councils are often not too bothered about the numbers used and leave that to the tender winner to choose. However I've never known a local authority be too bad with numbering, sometimes a 'service number' covers a number of routes due to it having a lot of variations throughout the day or week, but it is often suitable similar enough not to really matter. The only real problem I have is when the numbers are duplicated and I've never experience that with LA-supported services(not to say it hasn't happened though!).
The Invitation To Tender for the south-west Ceredigion routes shows the service numbers. I'm going to go into futher detail of the routes later in this post.

The argument that you need a separate number for each and every route variation is dubious. You may have a service with a once a day variation (to serve a school) - would a small variation justify a separate number or just cause more confusion?
You certainly have to draw the line somewhere, and I think my earlier example of services from B to D going via either C or E could help answer that. If passengers are misled into boarding a 'via C' working when they really want to get to E, that is a problem. A minor variation to a school isn't a problem since the rest of the route is the same and passengers still end up where they want to go. There probably wouldn't be a problem with a pair of routes in a Y-shape having the same number either, as the final destination and service number would still be enough to tell you where a bus was going.

Returning to Cardigan, I consider the X50 desigation (Cardigan to Aberaeron, with most journeys continuing to Aberystwyth) to cover three routes:
  1. via Blaenporth
  2. via Blaenporth and New Quay
  3. via Aberporth and New Quay
If I was counting some of the minor variations, such as the detours via Penparc Estate (under 600m away from the alternative route) and Aberaeron school, as different routes as well there would be more than 3. If you are on a via Blaenporth service, it is over 2 miles walk to Aberporth, or 1.3 miles to get to Blaenporth off an Aberporth working. New Quay is about 3 miles off the other route. Also, there is one 554 working via Gwbert while the rest of the service operates via Penparc. The Gwbert passengers presumably will know which is their trip, but if you're bound for Penparc and get on the Gwbert bus by mistake, you're going to end up in the wrong place. In the past year (before that the 'X50' via Aberporth and New Quay was known as the '550' instead) I've seen passengers for Aberporth on a via Blaenporth service twice, and I've been using the service much less frequently than I used to.

If the purpose of the service number is to tell you where the bus is going, to the degree that you can decide whether to get on it, then the X50 and 554 fail to do that.

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
In Chester, there are three separate routes numbered "1".

• Chester - Liverpool operated by Stagecoach
  • Chester - Blacon (circular) operated jointly Arriva/Stagecoach
  • Chester - Wrexham (operated by Arriva

CatfordCat

Some local authorities when tendering a service will decide the route number and also insist this is shown on the front of the vehicle. Please note I deliberately used both the word service and the word route. The world's largest bus company by far (London Transport) has, over the decades, used each of those words but not at the same time! The orthodoxy of one period suddenly becomes unacceptable until it swings back again.

Doesn't anti-discrimination legislation have something to say about display of route numbers front and back?

To add to the confusion -

Traditionally, London Transport buses showed a route number (e.g. route 11 - Liverpool Street to Shepherds Bush) and a running number (e.g. GM 11 - bus 11 in sequence - not necessarily the 11th bus out of the garage that morning - from Victoria - Gillingham Street - garage) - to indicate which particular bus working it was on to crews and inspectors.

London's trams however showed a service number (e.g. service 18, Purley to Embankment) and a route number (the equivalent of a running number but without a depot code.)

I don't think there's any legislative requirement to show a rear route number - the move towards electronic displays makes it easier to have destinations all round without the need for drivers to go round changing them all, but I'm sure there's plenty of new buses on the market that don't have the facility to show them.

Again, tendering authorities may choose to specify rear / side destinations, although with the exception of TfL generally don't.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes, they are the same thing in general. I'm just trying to make the distinction between ones which, together with the final destination, tell you where the bus is going and those that don't.

I agree there's no problem there. It is when there are different routes with the same number serving the same place that there can be problems.

That's almost exactly what I'm getting at, there are several routes out of Cardigan given service number X50 and others given service number 554. The difference is in that case all the routes are covered by the same operator.

I confess I don't know the routes intimately so I had a look on the timetable. The X50 runs from Aberystwyth to Cardigan and it takes about two hours - about 75-80% of the journey is common until it reaches Tanygroes and then they follow different routes.

The view is probably that there is enough commonality of route to warrant one service number though it is a moot point. The 554 follows a different route and is a short working so perhaps warrants its separate number.

Thing is, I think you're trying to apply and ascertain some sort of definite rule when it really does vary from local authority and bus company.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The world's largest bus company by far (London Transport)

That's a very bold claim. ;)

I am inclined to agree that London Transport was one of the best run, but the biggest bus company? I am not too sure.

I fully agree with the opinion that route numbers displayed on bus should be a tool to easily tell buses on different routes apart. It is insane that a Rainbow 5 may go to Derby, or Loughborough, or Old Sawley, or ... It is fine to have an overall brand, but route numbers should do what it does best - a quick way for the intending passenger to tell the buses on different routes apart, otherwise why are they there? (Maybe that is why Trentbarton removed them.)

Duplicate route numbers for routes that go nowhere near each other on the main but overlap in some areas should be banned imo, same operator or not, with responsibility for approving the route numbers given to the traffic commissioner. Variations to the main route should have suffixes added on the whole and I like NCT's idea of standardising the meaning of suffixes. Now that all operators are gradually going over to electronic displays, the lack of room associated with the traditional three-track number blinds in respect of a three-digit route number plus a suffix no longer poses a problem.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That's a very bold claim. ;)

I am inclined to agree that London Transport was one of the best run, but the biggest bus company? I am not too sure.

I'll qualify that and say the Western world's, as I'm unclear as to the position in China. Japan has a myriad of operators and in India it's largely owner/drivers. For all I know North Korea may operate a panoply of services, all running bang on time with each driver looking like a mirror-image of their esteemed president and no need for revenue inspectors.:lol:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'll qualify that and say the Western world's, as I'm unclear as to the position in China. Japan has a myriad of operators and in India it's largely owner/drivers. For all I know North Korea may operate a panoply of services, all running bang on time with each driver looking like a mirror-image of their esteemed president and no need for revenue inspectors.:lol:

How come India has such large bus companies if they are largely owner/drivers ? Just Uttar Pradesh has nearly 10,000 vehicles.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
You also have several different routes serving the same place. Look at Bristol. There is the 1, 2, 40, 73, 75 and 76 which all go to Cribbs Causeway from the centre. Except the 1 goes via Westbury-on-Trym, the 2 goes via Henleaze and Southmead, the 40 goes via Sea Mills and Shirehampton, the 73 goes via Bristol Parkway and Bradley Stoke, the 75 goes via Gloucester Road and Filton and the 76 goes via Gloucester Road and Southmead!

Also, routes are there to describe them in conversation. I'm a student at UWE and we all say 'we get the 70 into town', not 'The bus that goes from UWE to Bristol City Centre via Filton Avenue', as that just complicates matters.

Although it's never happened as such, I think without route numbers we would all be screwed and would probably end up miles away from where we want to go!

As for Trent Barton and their 'named' services (and one route which is 6.1 and 6.2 or whatever), that is quite frankly ridiculous and can easily be avoided. How that doesn't complicate matters is, quite frankly, beyond me.

Statto

Established Member
As for Trent Barton and their 'named' services (and one route which is 6.1 and 6.2 or whatever), that is quite frankly ridiculous and can easily be avoided. How that doesn't complicate matters is, quite frankly, beyond me.

Because as not a regular user of TrentBarton i'm more likely to remember 6.1 6.2, or MF-SF-TP than a normal number say 61-62 if TB keep the numbers/letters.

CatfordCat

I think the answer is that it works fairly well for Trent-Barton.

While the average enthusiast appreciates a nice network map / timetable and an orderly sequence of route numbers, I'm not sure that the average passenger on a network like TB's really cares, or would be unduly bothered if an operator had two routes in separate towns with the same route number.

TB's network is largely interurban services, and the philosophy appears to have been towards creating something unique (and that will stand out in - for example - nottingham city centre) for the settlements on that particular route.

the same sort of approach wouldn't work so well in an urban network - part of the selling point there is that you can change buses to get to other destinations (I'm aware that T-B did have issues on some routes with people not knowing that you could buy a day ticket that was valid on multiple routes, as the network brand wasn't obvious)

although some operators have found that a common livery style and strong route identities (e.g. Reading Buses' colour coded buses / routes) works well - their publicity will now refer to "the purple route 17" or something like that.

and this also requires you to do it as well as Reading do and not keep sending buses out on the 'wrong' route.

Some operators haven't managed that - First Berkshire's 90 (Reading - Bracknell that I have mentioned above) has some 'route 90' branded buses in First Corporate livery.

But most days there are also some of - 'Beeline' livery (only marketed for Bracknell town services) Citaros, Slough - Heathrow branded blue livery Citaros, Bracknell - Camberley route 94 branded blue Citaros, and occasionally London - Windsor branded Green Line deckers...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
You also have several different routes serving the same place. Look at Bristol. There is the 1, 2, 40, 73, 75 and 76 which all go to Cribbs Causeway from the centre. Except the 1 goes via Westbury-on-Trym, the 2 goes via Henleaze and Southmead, the 40 goes via Sea Mills and Shirehampton, the 73 goes via Bristol Parkway and Bradley Stoke, the 75 goes via Gloucester Road and Filton and the 76 goes via Gloucester Road and Southmead!

Also, routes are there to describe them in conversation. I'm a student at UWE and we all say 'we get the 70 into town', not 'The bus that goes from UWE to Bristol City Centre via Filton Avenue', as that just complicates matters.

Although it's never happened as such, I think without route numbers we would all be screwed and would probably end up miles away from where we want to go!
Your first paragraph is what Ceredigion council are not doing. There are different routes between the same two points, but via different intermediate points, which all carry the same number. Thus, as you have suggested, passengers sometimes end up a mile or more away from where they wanted to get.

I confess I don't know the routes intimately so I had a look on the timetable. The X50 runs from Aberystwyth to Cardigan and it takes about two hours - about 75-80% of the journey is common until it reaches Tanygroes and then they follow different routes.

The view is probably that there is enough commonality of route to warrant one service number though it is a moot point. The 554 follows a different route and is a short working so perhaps warrants its separate number
On the X50 timetable, did you see the 16:00 Cardigan to Aberystwyth working, or the 07:30(ish) Aberystwyth to Cardigan? These are the same only from Aberystwyth to Llanarth, taking the direct (about 20 minutes faster) route between Llanarth and Synod Inn. If you think you can get to New Quay (which the bus serves the rest of the day) on that trip you're in for a shock.

The 554 isn't just a short working, as it operates to Tresaith and Beulah whereas the X50 doesn't. The problem is I think they need another route number to identify the Cardigan-Beulah via Gwbert journey as distinct from the majority of the service which goes via Penparc instead.

I fully agree with the opinion that route numbers displayed on bus should be a tool to easily tell buses on different routes apart. It is insane that a Rainbow 5 may go to Derby, or Loughborough, or Old Sawley, or ... It is fine to have an overall brand, but route numbers should do what it does best - a quick way for the intending passenger to tell the buses on different routes apart, otherwise why are they there? (Maybe that is why Trentbarton removed them.)
They removed them? I think Ceredigion might as well remove the number on the X50, because it adds no information over the final destination displayed on the front of the bus anyway.

Duplicate route numbers for routes that go nowhere near each other on the main but overlap in some areas should be banned imo, same operator or not, with responsibility for approving the route numbers given to the traffic commissioner. Variations to the main route should have suffixes added on the whole and I like NCT's idea of standardising the meaning of suffixes. Now that all operators are gradually going over to electronic displays, the lack of room associated with the traditional three-track number blinds in respect of a three-digit route number plus a suffix no longer poses a problem.
The LED sign on the back of most buses is still only big enough for three characters though. I like your idea of traffic commissioners refusing numbers in theory, but then you get back to the question of where to draw the line. Do you identify a once/twice daily diversion to a school, which joins and leaves the main route at the same point, as a seperate route? Probably not, but what about when one street in a town is served the rest of the day but not when the bus diverts to serve a school?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
On the X50 timetable, did you see the 16:00 Cardigan to Aberystwyth working, or the 07:30(ish) Aberystwyth to Cardigan? These are the same only from Aberystwyth to Llanarth, taking the direct (about 20 minutes faster) route between Llanarth and Synod Inn. If you think you can get to New Quay (which the bus serves the rest of the day) on that trip you're in for a shock.

The 554 isn't just a short working, as it operates to Tresaith and Beulah whereas the X50 doesn't. The problem is I think they need another route number to identify the Cardigan-Beulah via Gwbert journey as distinct from the majority of the service which goes via Penparc instead.

.....you get back to the question of where to draw the line. Do you identify a once/twice daily diversion to a school, which joins and leaves the main route at the same point, as a seperate route? Probably not, but what about when one street in a town is served the rest of the day but not when the bus diverts to serve a school?

So, we've established that the 554 is very much a separate route. That's banked.

So then the X50.... Yes there's the two journeys you mention. Do they justify a separate number? Possibly? However CCC have probably viewed that there's enough commonality to put them under the X50 number. Would be people be more confused by having an X50/X51/X52 to reflect the different variations when the majority of route and by extension passengers are only interested in the main common portion of route? I guess that is the councils thinking.

Getting away from one very singular example, the wider point is as you say - where do you draw the line? Truth is that it isn't an exact science and anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish.

As for Trent establishing names rather than numbers, I think creating strong brands can minimise network visibility but then again, most customers don't want or need a network. They are single modal journeys and benefit from a strong brand. How successful is the Trent Swift vs the old 107, I wonder?

Statto

Established Member
Pet hate of mine is route numbers that use the prefix X but stop at every stop, X30 Chester-Warrington prime example, prefix X is normally used for express route.

83G/84D

Established Member
Exeter City services use letters rather than numbers, is there anywhere else where letters are used?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Exeter City services use letters rather than numbers, is there anywhere else where letters are used?

Cheltenham - mentioned both further up this thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pet hate of mine is route numbers that use the prefix X but stop at every stop, X30 Chester-Warrington prime example, prefix X is normally used for express route.

Not necessarily. What was Wilts & Dorset use X to signify cross country.

I don't have an issue with X being used as something other than a balls out express, as long as it's a faster variant of another service. However, there were some in North Somerset that were simply renumbered into an X series but are full stoppers. Meanwhile other X services are express versions. :roll:

CatfordCat

There are routes B and C in Kettering - there were more town services that had route letters that had been introduced when the routes were mini-bussed in the 80s.

Reading Mainline's now ceased operation used route letters rather than numbers - broadly based on the route letters that Reading's trams had used.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Arriva Kent Thameside operate two Fastrack services, A and B, linking Dartford and Gravesend with Bluewater Shopping Centre and using in part dedicated roads, like a busway but without the guided tracks and their associated huge construction costs.
There are loads of other examples of lettered routes all over the country in individual locations where they co=exist with conventionally-numbered routes.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
National Express West Midlands use 900 series routes for the Sutton Lines. The 902, 904, 905, 907, 914 and 915 all spring to mind, as well as the 934, 935, 952 and 997.

There is also the 104, 105 and 115 too, which I believe is the 'slower' variant, unless there have been changes in the route since.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
National Express West Midlands use 900 series routes for the Sutton Lines. The 902, 904, 905, 907, 914 and 915 all spring to mind, as well as the 934, 935, 952 and 997.

There is also the 104, 105 and 115 too, which I believe is the 'slower' variant, unless there have been changes in the route since.

A West Midlands Travel expert will doubtless confirm but I think it might be a hangover from the old Timesaver network of Limited Stop services that were numbered in the 900s

Status
Not open for further replies.