• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the steepest gradients on the UK rail network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Steepest is the Lickey Incline, between Barnt Green and Bromsgrove SW of Birmingham.

richa2002

Established Member
The gradient up to Farringdon station is 1 in 27 so beats the Lickey's 1 in 37.7 by quite a bit.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Steepest is the Lickey Incline, between Barnt Green and Bromsgrove SW of Birmingham.
...which is at 1 in 37, in case the OP was wondering.

Dainton bank in Devon has a maximum gradient of 1 in 36, but averages out at 1 in 40, and the nearby Hemerdon bank is 1 in 42.

The Cowlairs incline, straight out of Glasgow Queen Street, is between 1 in 42 and 1 in 50, and many a loco hauled train, and even some first gen DMUs, have required banking assistance up the bank!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The gradient up to Farringdon station is 1 in 27 so beats the Lickey's 1 in 37.7 by quite a bit.
That's only for a fairly short distance though as it dives under the Metropolitan/Circle lines, rather than a sustained climb like the Lickey. I would expect there to be a few flyovers and dive-unders that surpass the Lickey incline in terms of gradient for short distances.

richa2002

Established Member
Ahh, I didn't know we were only looking at sustained climbs?

A long stretch of 1 in 37 on the Newquay branch, as it goes up the Luxulyan Valley, with sharp curves and speed restrictions.
Pacers have managed it ok. Well with loads of screech screech!! (Track & wheels take a hammering!)
A Voyager recently could not make it with only 3 engines operational.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That's only for a fairly short distance though as it dives under the Metropolitan/Circle lines, rather than a sustained climb like the Lickey. I would expect there to be a few flyovers and dive-unders that surpass the Lickey incline in terms of gradient for short distances.
Also the Lickey incline is on a mainline as opposed to most other instances of steep gradients which generally occur on quiter lines or branch lines.

John55

Also the Lickey incline is on a mainline as opposed to most other instances of steep gradients which generally occur on quiter lines or branch lines.

Quite right! With only 14 or 12 trains per hour in each direction off peak, Liverpool to Birkenhead and City Thameslink to Blackfriars are really quiet compared to the Lickey.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
A long stretch of 1 in 37 on the Newquay branch, as it goes up the Luxulyan Valley, with sharp curves and speed restrictions.
Pacers have managed it ok. Well with loads of screech screech!! (Track & wheels take a hammering!)
A Voyager recently could not make it with only 3 engines operational.

screaming out for 25kV AC OHL electrification

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

I cant recall what the gradient is on the diversionary route for the Lickey is (Old Hill bank, which is Worcester to Birmingham via Stourbridge) but it's very steep too. Often there will be a banking engine in the goods loop at Stourbridge Junction to assist the heavier trains routed that way.

Wiggler

The older thread didn't seem to give an answer... But does anyone know what gradient the DLR Tunnel out of Bank is??

The Planner

Veteran Member
Old Hill has a very short section of 1 in 45, and a mile and a little bit section of 1 in 51.

Established Member
I believe there is a 1 in 27 between James' Street & Hamilton Square on the Wirral Line (Merseyrail).

Rugd1022

I think the Cromford & High Peak line had a short stretch at 1 in 14...

As for the Lickey - I work it regularly and going over the top, from the cab it looks a lot steeper than 1 in 37... !

dosxuk

Established Member
http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/DLRgenPhots/

5th photo down - seems like we have a winner. I know it's light rail, but at 1 in 17 is there a steeper gradient on a normal track (without rack n' pinion) anywhere else in the UK?

According to the other thread (and I've heard it elsewhere), there's a section of 1:10 on the Sheffield Supertram network. I've never been able to pin down which bit is supposed to be that steep though, although there are several contenders.

Rich McLean

Established Member
I know the Devon Banks are quite steep in places.

A bit off topic, but the steepest gradient on a road I have driver up is Portlock Hill in devon, at 1 in 4 :o

steamybrian

Established Member
The Foxfield Railway has a section of 1 in 19 to Foxfield Colliery

A bit off topic, but the steepest gradient on a road I have driver up is Portlock Hill in devon, at 1 in 4 :o

I have driven up and down the Hardnott Pass in Cumbria at 1 in 3..
.. once was enough.....never again !!! :shock::shock::roll:

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I have driven up and down the Hardnott Pass in Cumbria at 1 in 3..
.. once was enough.....never again !!! :shock::shock::roll:
The Hardknott pass is fun, I've been over that way a few times now :D I can still remember the smell of burnt out clutch on my Dad's old Sierra <D Last time I went over there with the missus, it was made all the more difficult as the Porsche owner's club had chosen that day to take a little excursion over the pass: Cue having to swing into every little nook available to us as fifty vintage Porsches nonchalantly descended in the opposite direction, their drivers oblivious to the hardships that their passage was impinging on all the other road users, and then having to perform a hill start on the 1 in 3 <(:roll: Certainly a good way for them to test out their brakes on their vintage motors, at any rate! <D

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Exeter SD to Exeter Central is the same as the Lickey, just shorter. Was probably more hellfire in loco days having a standing start at the bottom and a tunnel half way up!

The East London Line extension has all sorts of roller coaster gradients unnoticeable in a 378, but probably fun if a Class 37 charter went down it <D

johnnychips

Established Member
I believe the Snowdon mountain Railway is quite steep in places ...

That's rack and pinion I think (?). Is it the only one in the UK?

Just to see how good the experts are on here, what's the steepest funicular railway in the UK? I'm thinking, for example, of the ones from Scarborough town to the beach or from the car park to the main buildings of the CAT at Machynlleth.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Just to see how good the experts are on here, what's the steepest funicular railway in the UK? I'm thinking, for example, of the ones from Scarborough town to the beach or from the car park to the main buildings of the CAT at Machynlleth.

I don't have an expert's hat on, but the CAT is surpassed by the Aberystwyth Cliff Railway in gradient (1 in 3 and 1 in 2 respectively). My impression is that Scarborough's is similar to Aber. The Great Orme only gets steeper than 1 in 4 in a few parts of the lower portion, but given that the trams are built level it feels very steep as a passenger. I cycled up that way once... even with mountain bike gears it was ludicrous in parts. (Downhill on the other side was fantastic!)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's rack and pinion I think (?). Is it the only one in the UK?

At what point does it stop being a "funicular" and just become a "lift"?

Status
Not open for further replies.