• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the two closest stations on the same line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelem

Looking at a map of Newhaven ( link ) the two stations seem very close together. Which leads me to ask, what are the two closest stations on the same line in the UK? Where I define 'same line' to mean you can get on a scheduled service at one station and get off it at the next.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

SqUaShIe P

Do London Underground lines count?

I know the closest two on the underground network are Embankment and Charing Cross on the Northern Line, Theres a two minute walk between the two stations, Yet they still charge like £4 for a single ticket between the two.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How did I miss that, I am ashamed:lol: I read somewhere that St Peters and Sunderland were the closest on the line. :|
It may be from platform end to platform end. But entrance to entrance it appear to be Park Lane. So I guess the question needs to be defined.

ukrob

Established Member
Anyone know the distance between Bootle New Strand and Bootle Oriel Road?

robert2000

the wirral line stations are very close, especially the ones between eastham and hamilton square. so basicly nearly all stations on tht line.

Jim

Established Member
I know the closest two on the underground network are Embankment and Charing Cross on the Northern Line, Theres a two minute walk between the two stations, Yet they still charge like £4 for a single ticket between the two.
I thought it was Leicester Square to Covant Garden?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The absolute is West India Quay to Canary Wharf- approx 130m between platforms. Once three-car units are running full time, the trains will all be 84m long!

Daimler

Established Member
Ryde to Ryde Pier Head are perhaps the closest on the national network?

The cheapest season ticket you can get is between these two, I think...

Daniel

Established Member
Shortest on LUL is Leicester Square to Covent Garden.
Distance is 0.24 kilometers. Converts to 0.15 miles.

To the person who Covent said 'yet they Charge £4', it's £4 flat fare single within zones 1-6, so Leicester Square - Garden is £4, but Heathrow Airport - Epping is also £4 - peak and off-peak.

Sir_Clagalot

it's a little more than 100 yards between St Peters and Sunderland... The River Wear is at least that!

SqUaShIe P

To the person who Covent said 'yet they Charge £4', it's £4 flat fare single within zones 1-6, so Leicester Square - Garden is £4, but Heathrow Airport - Epping is also £4 - peak and off-peak.

I know its a stand fair. Its just funny that its such a short journey, and they charge you £4 for it, yet for the same price you could travel from one side of london to the other. So if you think about it for the cost for the distance, its really expensive!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know its a stand fair. Its just funny that its such a short journey, and they charge you £4 for it, yet for the same price you could travel from one side of london to the other. So if you think about it for the cost for the distance, its really expensive!
Yeah but no-one would actually do it. Perhaps someone should measure the distance walking direct vs the distance of walking through tunnels going down/up escalators to get to/from the trains- would make an interesting comparison!

ashworth

Established Member
Culrain to Invershin on the Far North Inverness-Thurso/Wick line is a very short distance.

SqUaShIe P

Most places suggest that Leicester Square to Covent Garden is the shortest, BUT
Leicester Square to Covant Garden is 284 yards
West India Quay to Canary Wharf is 142 yards
and Embankment to Charing Cross is 109 yards

At £4 for a single ticket, Embankment to Charing Cross would work out to be £5970.15 per mile :D
(I hope thats right)

Last edited:

Edvid

Established Member
You're wrong. :lol:

First of all, the decimal point is in the wrong place. Second, the numbers are just wrong.

It's £64.59 per mile when rounded to the nearest penny. :p

SqUaShIe P

You're wrong. :lol:

First of all, the decimal point is in the wrong place. Second, the numbers are just wrong.

It's £64.59 per mile when rounded to the nearest penny. :p

Sorry, I thought it looked abit wrong :D

Its the sutpid converter on my phone, Im checking it again using a different converter and got £64.59 rounded up to the nearest penny :D

Thats alot more realistic, still bloody expensive though!

Last edited:

Edvid

Established Member
No worries mate.

For anyone who's intrigued, it's 1760 yards (or 1609.344 metres) to the mile.

Skie

Anyone know the distance between Bootle New Strand and Bootle Oriel Road?

480 Meters from platform to platform (helped by the fact that the platforms a hugely staggered at New Strand)

SqUaShIe P

What is a 'chain' anyway? Is it some unit of measure that strangely ive never heard of, or is it something more technical?

clagmonster

Established Member
It is the distance between the wickets on a cricket pitch. There are 80 chains to the mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.