• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these boxes on the roof of some class 159s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breadface

Something I've noticed while looking at the 159 units is that some seem to have these boxes on the roof at the inner end on 1 driving coach per unit, It appears to be 3 Boxes with a cable or pipe running in-between them

It would be great if someone could explain what these are and which units have them because as far as I'm aware it seems to be a handful of /0s and /1s that have them

Images below to see them, and yes I've ripped them straight from google images

1615384710448.png1615384687897.png
1615384602798.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Breadface

Thanks for the info

I haven't seen any of them on EMRs, TFWs or Northern's but watching some videos I can see GWR had them and even in FGW livery they had them

TRAX

Established Member
Isn’t onboard wifi converted from 4G received by the train anyway ? Wifi isn’t emitted in the middle of nowhere, so are they really receivers per se ?

100andthirty

Isn’t onboard wifi converted from 4G received by the train anyway ? Wifi isn’t emitted in the middle of nowhere, so are they really receivers per se ?
All the comms systems are two-way, but basically the answer to the question is yes. The on board telecoms system communicates with customer's devices via wifi; there will be some sort of ethernet to distribute signals from a central hub to wifi antennae spread down the train interiors and to communicate with train equipment that collects data. he onboard telecoms system communicates with the outside world via 4G - sometimes multiple mobile modules to get the best possible signals from the various 4G providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.