• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these elaborate 'access panels' for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughby

First post after lurking for a while.

As well as being a Rail enthusiast I cycle/walk in the MK area which means I cross the WCML regularly. I often come across bridges with what appear to be access panels that make little sense (to me!).

Any ideas? They don't seem to pass through to the 'railway' side of the structure (see photos).

Hughby

Attachments

• Bridge 191 panels.jpg
    Bridge 191 panels.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 409
  • Bridge 191 outside.jpg
    Bridge 191 outside.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 293
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HugePilchard

Looking at the pattern of them, they seem to be symmetrical around the circular plate on the sixth panel in from the right.

Unless someone knows better, I'd say that they're just there because someone thought it would look good.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I agree, looks to me as if this is a girder that has been plated over and there is a void behind each panel where corrosion might not be detectable otherwise.

However I don't understand why some of them need much bigger hatches. I would have thought that if one of them needs a hole big enough for someone to access (which seems essential if corrosion is found and remedial action necessary) then they all do.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I agree, looks to me as if this is a girder that has been plated over and there is a void behind each panel where corrosion might not be detectable otherwise.

However I don't understand why some of them need much bigger hatches. I would have thought that if one of them needs a hole big enough for someone to access (which seems essential if corrosion is found and remedial action necessary) then they all do.

How about this, although just a guess. Maybe they all started out with the small circular inspection holes, and as and when corrosion has been found in individual sections, then a much larger hole has then been cut to do that work?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
How about this, although just a guess. Maybe they all started out with the small circular inspection holes, and as and when corrosion has been found in individual sections, then a much larger hole has then been cut to do that work?

Could be, although their symmetrical nature pointed out by a previous poster perhaps suggests something about the structure behind those panels that needs more attention.

mcmad

Are the photos both of the same side of the bridge? Could there be services running in the void perhaps?

John Webb

Established Member
Are the photos both of the same side of the bridge? Could there be services running in the void perhaps?
I would expect from the rivet locations that there are vertical 'H' section steelworks linking the two sets of panels together, so there won't be a continuous void - hence no services but the need for every section to have its inspection hatch. Probably of Victorian design, they had a knack, often lacking today, of making the necessary look attractive, hence the different shapes and symmetry of the hatches.

Hughby

Are the photos both of the same side of the bridge?

Technically no, but both sides of the bridge were the same with elaborate panels on the inside and none on the outside.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Part of me is glad there is no obvious answer that I missed - the other part is still curious!

Hughby

Status
Not open for further replies.