• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these new carriages at Southampton docks (21/3/2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, long term lurker - newbie poster.

Spotted these as I sailed past Southampton docks yesterday, they're currently at the bulk terminal next to 107 berth.

24E330A7-7A56-42F6-ADE7-80D709E775E8.jpeg

1FB798FF-A0C6-486F-B260-011012620539.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Monorail cars for Cairo, built in Derby: https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/derbys-bombardier-signs-multi-billion-dollar-egyptian-monorail-contract/

A multi-billion dollar contract which will see Derby train-maker Bombardier build hundreds of carriages for a new monorail system in Egypt has been signed.

In May, a consortium, led by Bombardier, was named by the Egyptian government as the preferred bidder to design and build two new monorail lines in Cairo – and supply rolling stock.

Geeves

Established Member
Its nice to see the UK building stuff for export again, on a related note Newton Aycliffe was building metro cars for Milan, I assume they went out via a North Eastern port?

Snow1964

Established Member
I saw another one on a low loader on the M3 heading south on Thursday.

Seeing as there are rail tracks all the way from Derby to Southampton docks, bit of a shame the railway doesn’t have any low wagons to move them economically.

gingerheid

Established Member
It would be a very tall order for the railway to move rail vehicles that use a different form of rail!

Darandio

Established Member
They won't be happy they've already been covered in graffiti.

It's already established further up thread that it isn't graffiti.

It would be a very tall order for the railway to move rail vehicles that use a different form of rail!

That's why the poster never suggested them moving on the rails but by some sort of low wagon flat. I suppose it all depends on the dimensions of these monorail vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.