• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these strange boxes along the rail track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

step7

HI guys new to the forum.
I asked this question on Yahoo Answers and was advised to check here.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120111062528AAyG13p

I live near the rail track just outside of Tamworth Station (Staffs). This track has been recently upgraded to carry higher speed trains. During the upgrade a whole series of 2 foot long x 3 inch high boxes have been installed along the track about 12 foot apart. I drive passed them every day and my curiosity is driving me nuts. What could they be? Don't think they are sensors or junction boxes, there's just too many. Displays for passenger information maybe?
21 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
By the way we're talking about a dead straight section of track maybe 1/2 a mile outside the station and there must be at least 20 of the things in an array..
20 hours ago

Sorry guys my description is a bit weak. The boxes are mounted on either side of the track (opposite each other) on posts about four feet high. They form a T shape with the post.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

step7

Mystery solved, thank you!

Yes it is Amington junction, never knew it was called that despite living opposite for 14 years.

Surprised I didn't guess this as there is regular nightly maintenance work around there, also surprised these are LED based - just shows how the technology has come on.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.