• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are your observations of face coverings wearing on public transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now that the law has been enacted for compulsory wearing of face coverings on public transport in England (as discussed in this thread ). What have been your observations? Have people been largely compliant or not? Do people take them off when they think no-one is watching? Are people wearing them properly? What is the situation in the devolved nations where face coverings are still not mandatory?

(note that this thread is to discuss people's observations of face cover wearing - it is not to discuss the rights and wrongs of it.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jayden99

I've been commuting on the Metropolitan line regularly before and after the change to compulsory masks. There's been a big uptick in the number of people wearing them since last week, from maybe 2-3 on a train to almost everyone. I have noticed a *lot* of people just covering their mouth, leaving their nose out and proud. It makes me want to give someone a smack upside the head sometimes, when it's made pretty clear by station posters and you have a train full of people to look at if you're not sure

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
My experiences on the train so far are that people are wearing masks when boarding the train and choosing their seat, but once they're settled and they realise there's no-one watching, they pull. the mask down and breathe normally. I think this is a good thing; it's reassuring that people are thinking for themselves and not blindly obeying orders for no good reason.

BJames

Established Member
My observation for my part of North London is much the same as @CaptainHaddock for the rail, as the trains roll through my local station I can see many choosing already to take them off and wear them on their chin. For buses, I'd say there is a bit less compliance than I was perhaps expecting and it really differing depending on the route - double deckers having a fair few people on the top deck with no covering whatsoever.

Established Member
In London 80-90% are wearing *something*.

But this ranges from wearing masks correctly (a slim majority) to wearing them covering the mouth only, with nostrils exposed, to simply wearing them as necklaces. Quite a few are still wearing inappropriate masks with outlet valves.

Many simply have scarves/bandanas coiled around their necks which they pull up around their mouths every so often.

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Compliance seems extremely high where I am - probably 90% or thereabouts.

In terms of passenger numbers, my initial observation (similar to last week) wasn't exactly right. Town services seemed quite a lot busier, while interurban buses were much quieter (and often completely empty). Has anyone else noticed differences between short and long distance journeys?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Interestingly in Scotland I’ve seen still very low compliance on buses but high compliance on trains (I believe many TOC’s made this mandatory in Scotland regardless, and the announcements are played in many of the NR stations in Scotland)

route101

Established Member
Interestingly in Scotland I’ve seen still very low compliance on buses but high compliance on trains (I believe many TOC’s made this mandatory in Scotland regardless, and the announcements are played in many of the NR stations in Scotland)

I was in Glasgow yesterday , dont think 50 percent are wearing masks. Its not mandatory on Scotrail despite the NR announncements at Central

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I made a journey today which involved taking 4 trains and the vast majority of passengers were wearing masks. I'd assume that those who weren't are covered by an exemption, but of course there is no way to know this.

Staff were wearing masks, except - totally understandably - drivers, though I did see a driver who was wearing a mask.

westv

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see compliance rates when/if we have a heatwave.

BJames

Established Member
I was wondering what the deep tube compliance would be like in a heatwave given that it borders on unbearable without a covering...

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

DhQnkKTVQAAv5OS.jpg

Yes, it's an old notice from last summer but can anyone spot the conflict of information here?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not really. You push up your mask to expose your mouth but keep your nose covered, drink a reasonable quantity of water, then replace the mask immediately. As you can't breathe while drinking, the risk is minimal. You don't need to spend an hour taking little sips; it's about being hydrated.

I had to make an essential journey within Scotland by train last week and by bus yesterday. I wore a face covering for the whole of both journeys.

The train journey was very quiet, only a few other people in my carriage, but nobody that I saw at any point on the whole journey was wearing any kind of face covering. This was from Inverness to Edinburgh.

The bus journey was busier, but out of about 20 people on the bus only about 2 others were wearing a face covering.

ashkeba

Established Member
High compliance on the buses that pass me in Cambridge as far as I can see from outside. I would expect most of the non wearers (maybe a sixth) are exempt.

NeilCr

I was on two Stagecoach buses in East Kent on Tuesday. Not many passengers but everyone wearing masks. My partner's son is a bus driver and he said the same.

Mintona

Established Member
The train I just walked through had eight passengers on. Four wearing masks and four not. About 50% of people seems about right from what I’ve seen the last days.

I'm loving this hashtag on twitter, #covidsnitch, just masses of people shaming others who are reporting or even taking photos of people who aren't wearing masks. They seem to not care if people may have a genuine exemption.

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm loving this hashtag on twitter, #covidsnitch, just masses of people shaming others who are reporting or even taking photos of people who aren't wearing masks. They seem to not care if people may have a genuine exemption.

The majority of people on Twitter seem just to be arseholes full stop. Regardless of what views or opinions they hold it is full of self important tools.

I only ever use it to give positive feedback or ask urgent questions needing a quick response. Reading any popular topics on there is a sure fire path to instant depression.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Looking through windows of passing buses in Cambridge suggests maybe 90% mask-wearers. Not that the buses are well enough loaded to give a particularly large sample...

MikeWM

Established Member
In the hinterlands of Norfolk - more than last weekend (including myself, in a half-hearted ‘is anyone looking’ kinda way), though far from 100%, and some people clearly not caring about it at all.

MikeWM

Established Member
As for the carriage I’m in right now - two people (one of them me) wore a face covering getting on the train but now have them around their neck, two not bothering at all. So 0% compliance in this carriage!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's appalling as there is no way to know by looking at someone whether they would have an exemption or not.

My observations are that the vast majority of passengers are complying.

Though, as I type this, I am the only person in my coach (a very common occurrence at the current time, sadly), so I am not sure if I actually need to wear a face covering until someone else enters this coach?
Looking through windows of passing buses in Cambridge suggests maybe 90% mask-wearers. Not that the buses are well enough loaded to give a particularly large sample...
I'll try to look out next time I see a bus, though sadly in York my observations (mostly in the suburbs, rather than the city centre) are that the number of people on most buses I see tends to be zero or one :( But hopefully people will be returning to public transport soon, so I'll try to keep an eye out and report back.
I had to make an essential journey within Scotland by train last week and by bus yesterday. I wore a face covering for the whole of both journeys.

The train journey was very quiet, only a few other people in my carriage, but nobody that I saw at any point on the whole journey was wearing any kind of face covering. This was from Inverness to Edinburgh.

The bus journey was busier, but out of about 20 people on the bus only about 2 others were wearing a face covering.
Not compulsory until 22nd June so I am not surprised at that; I must admit I was enjoying not wearing a mask in England when it wasn't compulsory, but I got a mask delivered ready for my first journey following the rule change, and have been complying ever since, as have most others, from my observations. I expect the same will happen in Scotland.
Just to clarify, the hashtag is not being used by the people who are reporting or taking photos of people not wearing masks; the hashtag is being used by people responding to the people who are doing that, and pointing out that the people they are reporting may be covered by an exemption

For example someone who claimed to be "shielding" complained to TfL about barrier staff at a station! But people were quick to defend the staff member.

How is it the one member of TFL staff at Shepherds Bush station by the barriers was not wearing his face covering at 19:50. He refused to put the mask on even though I said I was shielding. How can you expect the public to adhere to the rules if your staff don't?
If you're shielding, you shouldn't be out. The member of staff is not required to wear a face covering. You can't complain about someone not following a non-law when you're not following the rules yourself

There do seem to be a significant number of people who think they know the rules on a particular subject, and moan at the "rules" not being followed, even though no rule is being broken. One of the good things about Twitter is that it enables such people to be corrected.

Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
I made a short journey today. Very unpleasant experience on a warm train. Few travellers and most people covering up on board as required. The most noticeable change was that passengers can no longer acknowledge each other with a smile - everyone appears tense. Heading to the station exit I removed my covering and was hectored and chased by someone in a pink tabard insisting that the law said I must put it back on while on the station otherwise the police would fine me. I also saw a large poster instructing me clearly: 'Do not travel by train for leisure' but it was hardly necessary - the journey experience on its own was enough to give out the message that rail travel is an ordeal best avoided if you can. SWR seems to be revelling in scaring away the few passengers prepared to give it a try again.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Travelling in the North of England today, there appeared to be a high level of compliance on the trains. Lots of people on stations had them with them but not deployed and fortunately I didn't see any hectoring of them for that.

sheff1

Established Member
I tried to do an assessment today, but the majority of buses I saw had no passengers on at all. When passsengers were visibile they all seemed to be wearing face coverings. In previous weeks there have been more people on board (although still not that many). So, anecdotally, it would seem the new legislation has reduced the number of people using buses and driven (pun intended) them into their cars whilst those still on-board are complying.

MikeWM

Established Member
Ah, part of the old normal is back - train cancelled, following one delayed while a rescue loco navigates a single track section. 90 minutes or so late. First delay repay for a while!

Again, most people getting on wearing some sort of face covering, and most seem to be around the neck within a few minutes.

In terms of loading - the trains around here are still really quiet. Perhaps a slight uptick from last week, but certainly nothing substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.