• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Bits of Pandemic Life will you Continue with when all Restrictions are lifted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
It might encourage those who can to keep a week or two of food in stock as a matter of course, rather than all rushing to stock up only when imminent disrpution is forecast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TravelDream

Don't want any of it, we've survived for many thousands of years without this so why does it need to carry on?

We survived many thousands of years without electrictiy, gas, piped water and the telephone/internet. Are you going to call those companies to get your connections turned off?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I agree with you that those that want to keep their distance, wearing masks etc should be able to do so after this is over
I'll go against the grain here, I don't think I agree with that. I don't think we should normalise masks because they aren't harmless. They scare a lot of people, make communication difficult, and there's already some evidence they embolden criminals. I don't believe we should become some hyperchondriac society where people act like we're unclean and wear masks all the time.

Obviously I can't do anything to stop people wearing them after this is over but I will judge them.

Richard Scott

Established Member
We survived many thousands of years without electrictiy, gas, piped water and the telephone/internet. Are you going to call those companies to get your connections turned off?
That's not the point I'm making, I'm saying that we have lived with various viruses etc over the years and the restrictions are now redundant as majority of adults are vaccinated and so don't need them (not that majority of them make any difference in my opinion anyway).

Darandio

Established Member
Zero. It's even laughable we have to suggest keeping good hygiene practices, that should never have been an issue in the first place and the fact that people seemingly had to be 'taught' how to wash their hands was both hilarious and embarrassing in equal mesaure.

Tracked

Established Member
More working from home, had a bad 4 months travelling by train at the end of 2019 (a couple of lines flooding, plus other general delays, think I was making £30-£40 a month in delay repay between October and December), things had improved at the start of 2020 but I was near the point where I was considering looking for a job nearer home, even if it paid less.

Using the local independent shops/cafes I've started using

Wearing a mask outside, but only in really cold weather (easier than using a scarf to cover my face)

Welly

I work in a hospital (nothing I do there can be done at home) and I have been told that masks will continue to be mandatory for the forseeable future :(

Eyersey468

Established Member
I'll go against the grain here, I don't think I agree with that. I don't think we should normalise masks because they aren't harmless. They scare a lot of people, make communication difficult, and there's already some evidence they embolden criminals. I don't believe we should become some hyperchondriac society where people act like we're unclean and wear masks all the time.

Obviously I can't do anything to stop people wearing them after this is over but I will judge them.
I'm not saying we should normalise them and everyone should be wearing them, personally I can't wait to see the back of them as I don't believe a lot of them do any good. Nor is social distancing (oh how I hate the term) sustainable long term. However if someone chooses to wear one then that is their right to do so

I work in a hospital (nothing I do there can be done at home) and I have been told that masks will continue to be mandatory for the forseeable future :(
Mandatory in your hospital, or the whole country? Are there people that you work with that want mandated masks to become permanent?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I’ll probably keep up the walking I’ve taken up since last spring. I’ll stop over summer – too hot – but restart in autumn. I’ll also probably stick to the car for longer journeys. Until last March virtually all my journeys over about 30 miles were by train but I’m in no rush to switch back and I’ll probably stick to doing the weekly supermarket shopping midweek – I switched from weekends at the start of the pandemic. Other than that I expect I’ll go back to doing pretty much what I used to.

RuralRambler

Zero. It's even laughable we have to suggest keeping good hygiene practices, that should never have been an issue in the first place and the fact that people seemingly had to be 'taught' how to wash their hands was both hilarious and embarrassing in equal mesaure.

And yet we DID have to have a campaign to encourage doctors and nurses to wash their hands between patients a few years before covid. That indeed was hilarious and embarrassing that a campaign was needed!

Welly

Mandatory in your hospital, or the whole country? Are there people that you work with that want mandated masks to become permanent?
No one I know at work, want masks to remain mandatory in my hospital. :)

kristiang85

Established Member
Absolutely, the number of people who fail to make any attempt at personal hygiene is both mindblowing and disgusting
I think there's a balance. I've always been good with washing hands before cooking/eating, after the toilet, etc but I've never done it for the sake of it at any other times. I never really get ill, but I'm worried that might change if my immune system has been out of practice for the last year. So I certainly won't be keeping a bottle of sanitiser on my person at all times once this is over.

ExRes

Established Member
I think there's a balance. I've always been good with washing hands before cooking/eating, after the toilet, etc but I've never done it for the sake of it at any other times. I never really get ill, but I'm worried that might change if my immune system has been out of practice for the last year. So I certainly won't be keeping a bottle of sanitiser on my person at all times once this is over.

I'm with you there, I was particularly meaning after using the toilet which a surprising number of people can't be bothered to do

Darandio

Established Member

As I said in another thread during last week, i've had a horrendous cold since a week gone Sunday and i'm only really starting to feel better today. I'm willing to bet money that at any other time i'd have been able to shake it off in 24-48 hours but our immune systems are likely to be shot to bits right now.

cuccir

Established Member
Probably quite a few things will stay for me!

Running. Had always hated it but picked it up after pool/gym closed and am now a total convert. I see no reason to return to those with any regularity.

Will keep up with video calls with family from time to time.

Definitely more home-working. Not sure how much I'll end up with but I had virtually 0 before now, and I expect I'll do it at least 25% of the time now.

Making more use of local amenities. I love charging off to new places and will definitely do lots of that as the opportunity now arises but I'd like to make more space for the local parks, woodlands and town centre that I'd often charge past.

Keeping antibac hand gel in bags. Not obsessively but it was never something I carried before, and is something I'll keep up now.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Mask-wearing on public transport is something we all have to accept is here for the medium term.

Rail passenger numbers have collapsed. Something like 60-70% down outside Gtr. London, and those who are going to be tempted back will not be fully comfortable with standing-room only carriages jam-packed all the way on an 1hr journey without assurances that they can social distance and wear masks. I just think TOCs would be foolish to decide that one day in Summer will be "no more restrictions free-for-all month" knowing that sizeable numbers of ordinary everyday passengers want to return slowly, safely, and with safeguards in place.

I understand that there is a genuine desire amongst many on these forums for the 'old days' to return. I feel this misunderstands just how many millions of people remain very wary about the virus spreading, and the ease with which it spreads. If we want any kind of normality to return then abnormality has to continue. It simply has to.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Mask-wearing on public transport is something we all have to accept is here for the medium term.

Even when the mask requirement is dropped, it will carry on in some form, and I don't think mask wearing will ever disappear completely now.

duncanp

Established Member
Even when the mask requirement is dropped, it will carry on in some form, and I don't think mask wearing will ever disappear completely now.

I sincerely hope that compulsory mask wearing on public transport is dropped on 21st June, or as soon as possible thereafter.

Some people may choose to wear a mask on public transport even when it is not mandatory, and I don't have a problem with that.

I do, however, have a problem with masks being compulsory just as a sop to all the COVID bedwetters and coronaphobes, even when there is very little scientific evidence to show that they have a significant effect on reducing transmission.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I sincerely hope that compulsory mask wearing on public transport is dropped on 21st June, or as soon as possible thereafter.

Some people may choose to wear a mask on public transport even when it is not mandatory, and I don't have a problem with that.

I do, however, have a problem with masks being compulsory just as a sop to all the COVID bedwetters and coronaphobes, even when there is very little scientific evidence to show that they have a significant effect on reducing transmission.

What I will find annoying would be if "compulsory" is replaced with something like "advised" to wear a mask in the guidelines. Cue lots of angst / disagreements about "you should be wearing a mask!" and "but I don't have to!". Repeat ad nauseum.

I'd much rather the requirement was binary - required, or not required.

Jamiescott1

I'll continue to drink lots and I increased my running from about 20km a week to over 50km a week during lockdown so will continue that as have a target to run 2021km this calendar year.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
What I will find annoying would be if "compulsory" is replaced with something like "advised" to wear a mask in the guidelines. Cue lots of angst / disagreements about "you should be wearing a mask!" and "but I don't have to!". Repeat ad nauseum.

The Scottish Government advised people to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces from April (until they made it mandatory, of course). It was still very much a minority who wore them up until the mandate came into place late June/early July (for public transport/shops respectively).

I think it'll be replaced with "advisory in crowded situations", with people weening away from wearing them as they see more and more people not bothering. Just when is the question, 2022?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Scottish Government advised people to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces from April (until they made it mandatory, of course). It was still very much a minority who wore them up until the mandate came into place late June/early July (for public transport/shops respectively).

Although take up then would have been low because they were 'new' and people still felt odd about wearing them / hadn't actually bought any to wear yet.

PR1Berske

Established Member

I agree.

I think what we've lived through - and continue to live through - has persuaded a lot of people to the benefits of mask wearing in crowds, something which is second nature in some cultures. As we move into our modified normality, mask wearing on busy trains and Underground stations will perhaps stop being something "funny" that other cultures do (I'm sure we've all looked twice at East Asian people wearing masks on British trains) to becoming something accepted and acceptable for everybody to do.

There will be no great un-masking in April, or June, or at any time soon.

Richard Scott

Established Member

No, I wouldn't. They need to go, if some are still scared by this then afraid they'll have to get on with it. After vaccination program there is no excuse for them anymore (not that I thought they were needed ever).

I agree.

I think what we've lived through - and continue to live through - has persuaded a lot of people to the benefits of mask wearing in crowds, something which is second nature in some cultures. As we move into our modified normality, mask wearing on busy trains and Underground stations will perhaps stop being something "funny" that other cultures do (I'm sure we've all looked twice at East Asian people wearing masks on British trains) to becoming something accepted and acceptable for everybody to do.

Could you please explain the benefits of mask wearing backed up with scientific evidence as up to now none has been provided?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No, I wouldn't. They need to go, if some are still scared by this then afraid they'll have to get on with it. After vaccination program there is no excuse for them anymore (not that I thought they were needed ever).

You misunderstand my post. Please read more carefully, and be less reactive.

I'm saying what we should not have is masks become "advisory". When they go (when the time is right), it is a straight removal of the requirement, end of. Of course people can continue to wear them, should they choose to.

philosopher

Established Member
I agree.

I agree there will be no great un-masking, however I do think in time it will become less and less common to the point where the majority of passengers are no longer wearing them. Perhaps in a couple of years time, there will still be mask wearing on public transport, but only by those who have colds.

Status
Not open for further replies.