• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Bits of Pandemic Life will you Continue with when all Restrictions are lifted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I agree there will be no great un-masking, however I do think in time it will become less and less common to the point where the majority of passengers are no longer wearing them. Perhaps in a couple of years time, there will still be mask wearing on public transport, but only by those who have colds.

I will probably carry on voluntarily until the point at which I won't be the odd one out by not wearing one. Or until my current masks break / become properly manky. Whichever is the sooner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
You misunderstand my post. Please read more carefully, and be less reactive.

I'm saying what we should not have is masks become "advisory". When they go (when the time is right), it is a straight removal of the requirement, end of. Of course people can continue to wear them, should they choose to.
I know you said advisory so fully understand your post and read it properly that's why my post says what it does, if it's advisory then as I said those who are still scared deal with it or stay at home. Sorry but fed up with stupid restrictions.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I agree there will be no great un-masking, however I do think in time it will become less and less common to the point where the majority of passengers are no longer wearing them. Perhaps in a couple of years time, there will still be mask wearing on public transport, but only by those who have colds.

That may end up being the great British compromise we end up with. Mask wearing becoming something you associate with people who either have a bad cold, or a new variant of COVID, or what-have-you. And I think that's perhaps where TOCs and bus companies will be happy to find themselves in years to come - "If you are xyz, please wear a mask."

Ediswan

Established Member
I take an opposing view. As soon as masks are not required by law, their use will rapdily wither.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I don’t think we’ve changed that much and I believe there will be a great unmasking. Some will continue to wear one but most won’t, except London where I suspect a much larger proportion will continue to wear one especially on the tube. I think in the short-term at least the wary will avoid public transport altogether rather than travel wearing a mask.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That may end up being the great British compromise we end up with. Mask wearing becoming something you associate with people who either have a bad cold, or a new variant of COVID, or what-have-you. And I think that's perhaps where TOCs and bus companies will be happy to find themselves in years to come - "If you are xyz, please wear a mask."

Despite what some on this forum may think, I think that is an end game that alot of the general population will (pardon the pun) "get on board" with.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I can't - won't - provide a full scientific paper, that's not my place, and it's not your role to ask.
Why is it not my role to ask? You stated there were benefits so I asked what they were and I'd like some proof. Not sure it's actually an unreasonable request. I'm keen to learn what the benefits are but can only do that if I know the science behind your statement.

Non Multi

I'd expect masks to stay in hospitals, care homes and other medical venues for the foreseeable. Places where daily infection control is critical.

Small bottle of spray hand sanitiser in my backpack might stay, was previously using hand wipes for when public loos had no soap.

On another note I've really enjoyed taking scenic rural walks between my home and the nearest town, avoiding all public transport, main road traffic fumes, and virtually anyone else.

On Moderation
I can't - won't - provide a full scientific paper, that's not my place, and it's not your role to ask.

I will provide this photo of a sneeze, showing how far droplets travel. If masks restrict the passing of these droplets from an infected person to the wider population, then they're doing a good job. And they are doing a good job. Surgeons wear masks for more reasons than just looking the part.
That's an interesting use of the word "if". Surgeons are obviously wearing medical grade masks, which will be rather better at restricting the passage of droplets than the face nappies we have to wear on the train, the vast majority of which are certainly not medical grade.

Romsey

Let's push the discussion in another direction. Not legal or advised restrictions, but making the most of where we find ourselves.

A local history group that my wife and I are members of used to get maybe 20 to 30 people attending monthly talks. After a couple of wobbly starts, presentations are made on zoom and regularly getting 40 to 50 people logging in. Apart from the obvious number of people attending there are other advantages; the old and those who can't drive can attend evening meetings and it is possible to mute everyone except the speaker and call manager. The down side when doing a presentation on zoom is you can't judge how well the talk is being enjoyed by the audience. Nor do you meet people face to face and indulge in a quick gossip which feels a bit sterile.

Quite a few railway preservation groups have a geographically widely scattered membership. Holding management meetings on Zoom is reasonably quick and easy and the 40 minute free restriction does help keeping the discussion moving. ( I know that when the network is quiet an extra "free" 40 minutes is added to the call.) A couple of groups that I am involved with will continue to meet on zoom after restrictions have lifted to get business processed but will hopefully have a couple of face to face meetings per year.

I know face masks have already been worn out on this thread. Have you worn one on the underground and seen how dirty it is after a 30 minute journey? Then think back to what the atmosphere was like down there 30 years ago with smoking passengers, cast iron brake blocks and poorly filtered ventilation. It's a wonder any of us survived until the pandemic!

A quick PS.
The hand sanitiser supplied by SWR is great at removing paint from hands and fingernails and it doesn't stink like white spirit.......

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I certainly won't mind the increased acceptability of working from home.

I'll probably continue to wear a mask when it's cold outdoors, but I certainly won't be wearing it at any other time of year.

I'll continue to use my coat/bag to 'reserve' the aisle seat for as long as I can get away with it!

I intend to continue discovering new places by going on walks as I have done during the pandemic.

Most of the rest of the measures can get lost though. I'm just concerned about whether we will ever go back to normal in a meaningful way and a meaningful timeframe...

Cymroglan

The other thing I forgot in my earlier post is that I won’t be giving up the outdoor running. My gym closed its doors well ahead of the start of the first lockdown over a year ago. My kids really worked hard on encouraging me to try running in the great outdoors and after a couple of weeks, I really got the hang of it. It’s been brilliant for my mental health as well as helping keep my blood pressure nice and safe. It’s also saving me about £50 -£60 a month on gym costs.

MikeWM

Established Member
I'll continue cooking at home [1], which I categorically wasn't doing before this began. Don't think I'd used an oven in over a decade! As with many things, now that I've got into the habit, I wonder why I didn't do it before.

If I ever end up back in the office, I'll be taking my own lunch too. The options for food near our office are (a) too far away and (b) not great, and it was often stressful trying to work out what to do for lunch, especially if the weather was poor. It'll be better value this way too.

[1] of course I may have to whether I want to or not, as soon I may not be let in any restaurants/pubs without 'vaccine papers'......

DustyBin

Established Member
I absolutely cannot wait until masks go. The way I see it either they provide protection from airborne pathogens, in which case you’re weakening your immune system by wearing one, or they provide no protection in which case they’re pointless. I also find them uncomfortable and rather depressing to look at, maybe that’s just me though. There will be people who now see breathing the air as dangerous and they have my sympathy; that’s not a good place to be psychologically.

A minor habit we’ve acquired over the last year or so is using Just Eat, Uber Eats etc. rather than calling the takeaway directly. We even used to go and collect which actually seems a bit silly with hindsight. If we have a discount code it often works out cheaper as well, even with the delivery charge and commission.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Cymroglan, @MikeWM
Very good, healthier, saving cash, reducing economic activity and reducing use of resources.

I have travelled only by cycle or foot for months, apart from one train trip. I cannot imagine the attraction of a stranger preparing my food. One can do that much better oneself.

LancasterRed

I find face coverings (not masks) to be quite comfortable so in the short term I'll continue to wear them. Due to the confined nature of public transport, I anticipate this will carry on as standard procedure for a while.

I'll also be ordering more instead of going out. Why wait for an hour in a restaurant when you can wait for an hour at home and be more comfortable?

deltic

Established Member
Getting up at the same time each day, which seems to have improved my sleeping habits, weekend lie-ins in the past were perhaps not a good thing. I hope to continue going for long walks before church on Sunday - certainly discovered parts of London I had never seen before, cooking meals from scratch and baking and local history research - its amazing what you can discover about your own local street which in my case is a typical south London Victorian terrace.

As I used to walk to work I am looking forward to getting back into the office and getting more fit and no longer working from home

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
My local pub has indicated that the hand sanitiser stations are going to be permanent, although presumaby at some point it will no longer be obligatory to sanitise your hands on entry to the premises.

I will try to make sure that I always carry a small packet of tissues plus a mini bottle of hand sanitiser with me, particularly if I cough or sneeze whilst on public transport or other similar setting.

This is just helping to implement the "Catch it, bin it, kill it" campaign which is longstanding, and anything which can improve general hygiene whilst not being to much of an imposition has got to be a good thing.

I hope my local swimming pool retains the booking system, as it regulates the number of people in the pool at any one time, and as rules are relaxed they could perhaps increase the maximum number of people per session. Some of the other rules that the pool have introduced, such as no overtaking in the middle of the lane should be retained permanently, as they make life more pleasant for everyone except the selfish so and so's who hog a lane of the pool and expect everyone else to get out of their way.

nlogax

Established Member
My local pub has indicated that the hand sanitiser stations are going to be permanent, although presumaby at some point it will no longer be obligatory to sanitise your hands on entry to the premises.

Hand sanitizer in pubs I can definitely live with, though you can bet your bottom dollar it'll disappear completely once all signs of the virus disappear from the national news and the premises needs an extra chair or table in the corner.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sand hanitiser. And keeping a little distance occasionally. That's it.

RailExplorer

Work wise... Nothing for me as nothing changed in the last 12 months (train driver role) - my wife would like the option to work from home more often, but only if absolutely required. She actually misses the office and intends to commute 5 days a week (her boss is very pro office anyway) but for childcare reasons, her being able to occasionally work from home would be good.

The only other positive which I will continue is seeing my family more often (trips to my parents were every 3 months previously as they live 250 miles away) but I’ve probably spent about 50 nights at my parents in the last year and it’s been lovely (particularly now that we have a baby). This was mainly because a lot of our local friends hid themselves at home whereas my family (parents, grandparents and brothers) have all met up far more often. It’s been a good reminder of how important family is.

Cdd89

Established Member
I look forward to future “squashing the sombrero” (to use the patented phrase!) of intra-day peaks on public transport, as the impetus to arrive at exactly 9 and leave at exactly 5 diminishes for those office workers travelling in on a given day. Moving away from the pre-pandemic (London) normal of services being so full you can barely squeeze inside at 8:30am, to carrying around fresh air at 10:30am, in favour of a more even passenger distribution across the day seems like a potential good outcome in my opinion.

High Dyke

Established Member
Not a lead balloon!

I really wish people would keep away from each other, from strangers, but many do not bother that even now, even when there is plenty of room. Distance = respect.
Exactly. I find, when shopping, a trolley or well-aimed basket keeps those that don't understand social distancing away from me.

Working from home hasn't been an option for me. However, I do value my free days and will continue to get out walking.

Established Member
One thing I'll definitely miss is being able to park easily near work!

MikeWM

Established Member
Not necessarily an individual thing, but it would be nice if we all learned the lesson that good ventilation is a very good thing. No matter how many times you recycle the air or however cleverly you do it, there's nothing better than being able to open a window. Hopefully we stop making buildings where that's not possible (eg. offices, hotels, etc.)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I intend to continue discovering new places by going on walks as I have done during the pandemic.
A great answer. I know lots of people who have turned to walking to kill a day and rather enjoyed it. I've always liked it and it's good to see others starting to do the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.