• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What camera/cameras do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
LOL some good deals can be had on the Pentax K100super very good camera and your lenses will fit it8)

With the new K20D and K200 now out the prices for the previous 2 will drop a bit so keep a look out for some good deals, it may not have the Canon/Nikon name but the Pentax is a superior product and gets you plenty for your bucks,
and don't listen to the canon/nikon lemmings there is plenty of lenses out there too8)

Think I'll wait until the prices for the K20D and K200 drop a bit before I upgrade.

kestrel

Think I'll wait until the prices for the K20D and K200 drop a bit before I upgrade.

might be a while, the K200 is a good buy tho;)

you could always look at the Samsung equivilents, its the same camera8)

phil beard

:) I use Canon exclusively, and always have for thirty years. Currently digital 30D and 40D - great!

crewmeal

I have a Canon IXUS 750 and i think the quality of the pics is crap, I tried to take pics of engines here in Jordan, in the end I deleted them because of poor quality lighting. I'm going to upgrade to a Nikon D60 which seems to be the 'dogs b******s. Anyone any thoughts about this?

Canon UC8 Hi-8 (Uses 8mm tapes). It's served me well over the past four years, and it's served my father well for the other nine years! (Not a trainspotter, just used to come with me to film the trains when I was four or five).

Nick279

Hi guys, just making my first post, present camras are Nikon F5, D100, D200 and I will be getting a D300 very shortly, been taking railway pictures since the late 50s, shame they didnt have digital photograhy in those days, I spent my youth struggling with a German box camera and didnt get my first 35mm until about 1966, just in time to catch the back end of steam. How things have changed.

class 313

Established Member
Anyone selling their camera?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah don't worry! Just chinged out on a Fuji S9600 :)

I don't want anyone butting in with 'well you should of got a DSLR' as I have my reasons for the above camera. :)

Last edited:

FusionRail

Got a Fuji S9600, ordered it from Fuji as Jessops had a two-month wait on them :-?, and cost me £270 two months back

Great camera, seems to be relatively waterproof (its been out in the rain alot and hasnt broke yet 8)) and does great phots night and day.

class 313

Established Member
Got a Fuji S9600, ordered it from Fuji as Jessops had a two-month wait on them :-?, and cost me £270 two months back

Great camera, seems to be relatively waterproof (its been out in the rain alot and hasnt broke yet 8)) and does great phots night and day.

£145 for me ;)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
My 400D is still with me, no sign of the 24-105mm F4 or 70-200mm F2.8 yet, waiting for the prices to drop ;)
The 17-85 is still my workhorse 8)

kestrel

Still using my Pentax K10D, shall keep it for a while yet prob when Pentax/Samsung release a proper 'live view' camera in a year or 2 (the k20d's live view is not brilliant neither are the currrent crop from the other manu's)
Have the following lenses:
Pentax 18-55DA
Tamron 70-300mm
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 top lens8) my new general lens with macro
also a 12mm wide angle convertor
Sigma 10-20mm on order

D306

Established Member
When I'm ready to upgrade to DSLR, what would you recomend as the best one to start with. From what I heard on the gadget show, it was a Nikon D60. What would be the best, the D60 or something else?

kestrel

When I'm ready to upgrade to DSLR, what would you recomend as the best one to start with. From what I heard on the gadget show, it was a Nikon D60. What would be the best, the D60 or something else?

All of them are very similar:

Pentax K200D
Pentax K10D (still available)
Nikon D80 with cash back
Nikon D60
Nikon D40X
Canon EOS400D
Canon EOS450D
Olympus E510
Sony A200 or Sony A350

Canon is the more popular (not nessersarily the better) with a big choice of lens to choose from, although Pentax uses the K mount so lenses from the old 35mm will fit too, also has a large digital range with sigma and tamron making lenses for it too.

Pentax/Olympus/Sony all have in camera stabilization with the big 2(Canon/Nikon) needing special lenses with stabilzation on them, apart from that not really much between them all around £400-£600 all quality build.

Craig

Established Member
I think kestrel has pretty much covered it. It's really down to which one you're comfortable using. It'd also be worth looking into lenses before you buy a body, to make sure you can get what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.