• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Camera??

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernrail

Hi
Im a beginer in Railway Photography and i was wondering, what camera should i buy thats:
Cheap
Easy to use
can take high qaulity pictures of fast moving trains
Thanks Adam:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Canon G9 / G10 are quite good, not too cheap though, and easy to use once you get used to it, but's that's just me, I'll leave it to the experts on here for a good final verdict. Good camera though!

jon91

What sort of budget have you got in mind?

If you have enough (roughly £300 or less if you go secondhand), you should consider a entry-level DSLR such as a Canon 1000d or a Nikon in the same price bracket. But they do have a steep learning curve to get the best out of them so they might not fit the requirement to be 'easy to use' and are definately NOT cheap by any sense of the word :D

However at the price of an entry-level DSLR you can get a mid to top of the range compact camera that is almost guaranteed to be easy to use and will give you good quality photos but they may not be able to compete with a DSLR on focussing speed which if you're taking photos of a fast train is vital to get a half-decent picture.

Regards

Jon

Track Basher

The basic rule is you get what you pay for.

I have used a few different compact digital cameras but have discovered the same problem with all the different models. There is a slight delay between pressing the button to take the photo and photo being taken. When taking moving trains this is a major problem. I have only had on DSLR a Pentax K10D. My major reason for purchasing was that the lenses I already owned from my SLR were 100% compatable and could be used on the new camera. The SLR was also Pentax.

One of the major factors is not the camera but the lens attached to it. You could have a very good camera but if the lens is poor quality you are wasting your time. You need to have a good range of optical zoom (not digital this is useless in railway photography). You also need to be able to set it manually, particulary if attempting night shots.

A bridge camera could be a possible solution as this is between a compact and a full DSLR. A DSLR is a tricky beast to master. I have been taking railway photos for over 25 years and it took me 6 months to get the hang of it. I am now getting results I am happy with.

Trying to go for a full DSLR is a daunting proposition, I would get something a little easier but needs to be better than point and click digital. My suggestion is look for your local independent camera shop. I find them to be much more helpful than many of the big chains. They are looking to retain your business over a number of purchases and if they give good advise you will be back. Also consider second hand. You will be able to get a much better camera for your money. Think of it this way. Whatever you buy now you are going to upgrade. The harder skill to learn is how to take good photo, once you have this you will start to see the problems with the camera equipment you are using but will have the knowledge to purchase what you need.

jon91

I can completely agree with track basher's advice, I had a fujifilm s9600 before the camera I have now and I would gladly recommend it to anyone looking for a decent bridge camera.

Elec_Engr

NorthernRail,

A DSLR if you can afford it, I started off with a Canon 350D. If you can't afford to buy brand new, has a friend (you can trust!) got one he's getting rid of? Otherwise compact cameras, unless you're going to spend a lot of money (i.e. the same as a budget DSLR) not really man enough for the job and also not flexible enough in terms of telephoto lenses, fast enough motordrives etc for the future and you may feel let down.

Good luck!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Whilst I do agree with the advice in the above posts, I've been pleased at how my Lumix TZ6 digi-compact handles crisp panned shots and cleanly 'frozen' fast-moving subjects, at Brands Hatch, using its predictive focus.

I still use my trusty Canon Eos1 and range of lenses up to 800mm, for specific shots where I need depth of field and image resolution big enough for posters.

If you want a high quality sensor, good focal range and decent shutter speed, then a decent DSLR is your way forward. But read the photo magazines and web reviews, to help you find the balance of performance to price that's right for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

Elec_Engr

A very good, independent (i.e. Non-Manufacturer or Retail Outlet influenced) website is www.dpreview.com, which I would recommend anyone read to get a good un-biased opinion.

In any case let us know what you finally decide on!

Csalem

I use Panasonic Lunmix. Upgraded over the weekend from the FZ18 to FZ45. Had the FZ18 for about two and a half years. Went everywhere with me everyday at the bottom of my bag, and the screen was being held together with duct tape for the last year but it was still working and still taking excellent shots.

tinselworm

or if you don't want to carry such a bulky thing around with you, Buy a Sigma DP1 or DP2/DP2s, it is a compact size camera but with the image sensor from an SLR in it :)

Shrub Hill

ebay mate, i was in the same boat as you last year, picked up a canon 30d and a mid range zoom lens for about £280 bought seperatly, just take your time , do your research and wait for the right camera at the right price to appear,
i went for the 30d because as a camera it is ideal to learn with and has all the facilities to enable you to progress as far as you want with it, in terms of controls and being able to shoot in raw etc, dont let the fact that it is only 8 mp put you off, the reality is, 8 mp is fine for the standard computer and you wont really need any more unless you decide trying to have you pictures published or have them blown up to say an A4 print, by which time technology will have moved on and you will probably be able to buy a 1D mark 4 for a £100 because its only 20 something mp,
the lens is the important bit, this will make or break your pictures so like the camera make sure you get the right one for you and then enjoy !

moonrakerz

dont let the fact that it is only 8 mp put you off, the reality is, 8 mp is fine for the standard computer and you wont really need any more unless you decide trying to have you pictures published or have them blown up to say an A4 print

For the vast majority of use 8mp is more than adequate. Have a good Google about the number of mp, that will give you a true idea of what really counts in a digital camera; the quality of the sensor and the quality of the lens are the most important - the number of megapixels is well down the list - apart from what the salesman tells you !

Rtyrpics

Hi
Im a beginer in Railway Photography and i was wondering, what camera should i buy thats:
Cheap
Easy to use
can take high qaulity pictures of fast moving trains
Thanks Adam:D

Hiya Adam,

I am not going to name any specific models however.....

I would suggest purchasing an entry level DSLR body, available for between £300 and £500.

Also I would advise you invest in some decent glass for upfront.

The camera will only perform to the standard of the glass upfront.

Third step is to learn how to handle your camera. I've done alot of avaition photography and I've seen people by very expensive DSLR's and then expect miracles overnight, learning your camera is probably 80% of the road to fantastic pictures.

Just my input.

Ryan

Royal Male

near a dissused station on the Hull to Scarborough
I have been using the Canon eos range for just over 20 years and started with their dirital eos range with the 6mp 10d back in 2004. I have still got it as well as the 20d/40d and really see no further advantage for what I need to upgrade any further. Ok the 10d is ancient in terms of whats on offer nowadays, but used with some decent glass on the front, it certainly is a mean camera and can be had for around £100. The 40d can be had for around £250 if you look for them. In terms of glass, for railways I have found the Canon ef 70-200 f4 non IS a very useful and reasonably priced piece of equiptment for day to day shooting( unless you need the be fitting a full train in up close) great wide open and fantastic bokeh. Basically you need not spend a fortune to start off with.

colpepper

If you're on a tight budget I'd avoid the DSLR route and opt for a compact. The technology is changing so quickly and compacts deliver excellent images. I have a Sony WX5 that cost £180 and it shoots 12 MP, full 1080 video and has some useful features like pan stitch for manual panoramic shots. There's also a mode that takes multiple shots in low light and digitally combines them if you want to avoid flash.

If you're not a prolific shooter it's worth thinking about a second-hand film SLR if you have access to a scanner. Some incredible gear at bargain prices and it'll almost certainly be worth more when you come to sell it unlike a digital.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Isn't there the problem that most compacts have a "freeze and delay" method when you press the button, though?

Makes it very difficult to capture a moving subject.

Or does that only apply to the older ones?

colpepper

Isn't there the problem that most compacts have a "freeze and delay" method when you press the button, though?

Makes it very difficult to capture a moving subject.

Or does that only apply to the older ones?

My impression is compacts have come on a lot in that respect since my old Canon Powershot which itself was a vast improvement on a previous digi compact. The Sony has tracking focus and umpteen focal points but I dare say in very low light it might be fooled, though it hasn't happened yet.

TBH its other features outweigh its DSLR disadvantages, especially the excellent movie quality and the fact it's about the size of a credit card.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd personally find such a small size a problem; I borrowed a compact about the size and weight of one of those disposable one use film cameras from work the other day to do a photo of a new painting I had done and found it virtually impossible to keep my hands steady - it was just too small and light for me; I'm used to the size and weight of my Centon DF-300 film SLR...

colpepper

I'd personally find such a small size a problem; I borrowed a compact about the size and weight of one of those disposable one use film cameras from work the other day to do a photo of a new painting I had done and found it virtually impossible to keep my hands steady - it was just too small and light for me; I'm used to the size and weight of my Centon DF-300 film SLR...
Swings and roundabouts I s'pose. The WX5 is light enough never to have an excuse not to take it with you but I feel naked without a film camera after so many years. Compared to my Nikon F2AS every DSLR feels like it's dropped out of a cracker but the imagery of the Sony is truly remarkable for a such a tiny camera.

Matt G

i just got a fujifilm s6000 for christmas its just right right and its really simple to use can take a bit of time to get use to the way it works but once your there it takes good photos i happily recomend it as it is alot cheaper than a SLR but just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.