• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What can you see at Bury ( ELR)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the ELR do not allow depot visits any help with best places to view the depot(s), I believe Baron Street is a workshop / depot, do they have another? What most likely to be seen?. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil6219

They have an engine shed or light workshop at the northern exit of the Bolton Street tunnel, not sure how exactly to get a view other then peeking over the wall of the carpark - which is opposite BBS Station. Last time I was there they had a Hymek outside, A Warship was poking out of the shed too. Western Prince was half in / half out the time before that.

Baron Street is a much bigger complex, some stuff is found between Baron Street and BBS Station (pretty much just coaches - though I had seen a 37 there once and a Class 47 was there last week). There is a footbridge at the end of Belle View Terrace (off Manchester Road) which would give you a decent vantage point to see them as well as what is in Baron Street Shed, perhaps worth pointing out that the footbridge leads to the path that runs by the Girls Grammars School on Bridge Road so access could be gained there.

Baron Street itself runs between the two sheds so you can see what is along the eastern side of the north shed. You should also be able to see what is in the southern yard here too, but there is no road that runs alongside heading south nor any overbridges nearby to give a better view of what is there.

I couldn't tell you what is in the southern yard but at a guess I'd say the two 31s that had a visit from the Copper Fairies will be there waiting to meet the axeman as well as 47 D1501 which apparently went pop several months ago. A lot of future restoration projects will be in this area as well.

That's as much as I know - and I'm being very rusty as I haven't been near the yards in quite a while but I know a few ELR volunteers are around here so they may chime in. Hope that helps,

Phil 8-)

northernrail

Last time i was there was 26 August, 37418, the 37/5(I forget the number) and a Track machine was visible from the gates, along with D1501 and 20087, the Cobo has been lifted and is outside next to Blackpool Railgrinder 752.

Status
Not open for further replies.