• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What coach operators currently operate which National Express and Megabus and Citylink coach routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridingthebus

Good morning. Does anyone here know how to find out which National Express and Megabus and Citylink coach routes are run by which coach operator? From what i understand most of the National Express and Megabus and Citylink coach routes are contracted out to other private coach operators in a similar arrangement to TFL bus services but i can't find any information on who runs what? Is there any lists available anywhere showing which coach operators run which routes? If not then is anyone able to provide a list at all? Thank you for any information regarding this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Citylink has major changes come monday. Most timetables do have "P" to say when Parks of Hamilton are running a jounrey. Most of the other citylink work is operated by Stagecoach. Lothian operate 913, West coast motors operate Argyll Routes. I do believe Edinburgh coach lines have a few M92 runs, mcleans coaches have a few runs aswell.

Volvodart

Established Member
Shiel Buses (919) and D & E Coaches (961) have work in Inverses services.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
Megabus (England & Wales) routes are mainly run by either Stagecoach (South Wales) or Stagecoach (Midlands) vehicles, with the exception of Norwich services (Freestones Coaches), London-Gloucester, London-Plymouth/Falmouth, Gatwick-Cardiff, Bristol-Barnstaple, Bristol-Nottingham, most of London-Bristol and certain London-Cardiff services (South Gloucestershire Bus & Coach). There are some weekend extra/relief services run by various other operators. The megabusplus services are run by: Hull-East Midlands Parkway by Stagecoach (East Midland) and Huddersfield-East Midlands Parkway by Stotts of Huddersfield.

Anthony ross

The coaches employed on the national express network are they owned by the contracting company or are they owned by national express themselves I’ve always wondered this

route101

Established Member
Do parks still do National Express work from Scotland ? Dont the drivers wear uniform for nat express ?
Megabus sometimes hires a first coach between Glasgow and Aberdeen .

CM

As of 20th of May, Citylink will be running the 917, 918 and 919 directly and Shiels will no longer operate them.

That's an interesting move, have they fallen out? I'm sure that's happened with WCM and Citylink a few times before.

Volvodart

Established Member
That's an interesting move, have they fallen out? I'm sure that's happened with WCM and Citylink a few times before.

I think Citylink is replacing the Fort William to Inverness service operated by Shiels, but are Shiels not still the contractor on the route?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think Citylink is replacing the Fort William to Inverness service operated by Shiels, but are Shiels not still the contractor on the route?

This
https://www.citylink.co.uk/linkline/6101.pdf

seems to suggest you are correct. It used to be the case that some journeys shown on the present timetable are shown as Shiel Buses commercial journeys on which Citylink tickets are valid, these will become proper contracted Citylink journeys.

Cesarcollie

The coaches employed on the national express network are they owned by the contracting company or are they owned by national express themselves I’ve always wondered this

They are owned by the operators, though they are required to purchase (currently) Levante NX spec vehicles, albeit with a choice of Volvo or Scania chassis, at a price fixed by NX.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It used to be that Citylink had to own at least one vehicle, I think in order to hold an operator's licence. Is this still the case?

MotCO

Established Member

Very interesting list. Bizarrre that some operators, such as East Yorkshire, run journeys out of their normal operating area, e.g. London to Portsmouth. Presumably this is a second leg to a Hull - London diagram.

Also some routes are operated by more than one operator. Do the operators form consortia to bid for these, or does Nat Ex 'pick and mix'?

Darklord8899

As of 20th of May, Citylink will be running the 917, 918 and 919 directly and Shiels will no longer operate them.

Below from West Coast Motors' website
WCM will still be running 918, Citylink will run 917, 919 and 920 (former Shiels N19 journies):

Citylink Services Summer Timetable
Could all customers please note from Monday 20 May 2019 the services we operate on behalf of Scottish Citylink will change to the summer timetable.

This applies to the following services:
• 926 Glasgow – Campbeltown
• 976 Glasgow – Oban
• 918 Oban – Fort William
• 914/915/916 Glasgow – Skye

Last edited:

Mwanesh

Very interesting list. Bizarrre that some operators, such as East Yorkshire, run journeys out of their normal operating area, e.g. London to Portsmouth. Presumably this is a second leg to a Hull - London diagram.

Also some routes are operated by more than one operator. Do the operators form consortia to bid for these, or does Nat Ex 'pick and mix'?
Double manned so they can do 21hours.They sleep over in Portsmouth then back the next day.Parks also do Plymouth to London then a London to Southend or London to Manchester.The 561 has Stagecoach Chesterfied , National Express London ,Skills and other operators

Flange Squeal

Established Member
As described above, it was just an ‘add-on’. The main London to Portsmouth service is the 030 and operated by a local operator. The 031 that EYMS did was just one return trip each day - down to Portsmouth in the evening, overnight stop, then returned to London in the morning (but from a passenger’s point of view more intended for day trips to London). The 031 ceased running a number of weeks ago though, and ran a longer route than the main 030, coming off the A3 to serve a number of towns no longer served by National Express - Farnborough, Aldershot, Farnham and Hindhead.

Buggleskelly

Welshman

Established Member
Some of these allocations are interesting.
For example, I sometimes wonder if any passengers noticing the legal lettering of a service 375 in Wisbech or Great Yarmouth get out the atlas on returning home to find out where Llanrwst is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.