• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What could this train fault be? (Wednesday 24 Dec 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

15:14 Hereford to London Paddington due 18:43

This train will be started from Colwall.
This train will no longer call at Hereford and Ledbury.
This is due to a train fault.

It appears to have been ECS from Hereford to Colwall

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
Something that the driver managed to fix and then the train ran empty to get back on time. Could have been absolutely anything.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Something that the driver managed to fix and then the train ran empty to get back on time. Could have been absolutely anything.

Could it be a fault with the sliding door in the rear cab of the HST? The Ledbury tunnel is so narrow that guards are required to be in the rear cab because any evacuation would have to be via the sliding door there as the normal doors don't have room to open against the tunnel wall.

That would make Colwall the first usable station.

dzug2

Could it be a fault with the sliding door in the rear cab of the HST? The Ledbury tunnel is so narrow that guards are required to be in the rear cab because any evacuation would have to be via the sliding door there as the normal doors don't have room to open against the tunnel wall.

Sounds the most plausible - thanks

Searle

Established Member
Sounds like something that would wind customers up; I can't imagine they'd be happy seeing the train leave as ECS towards London and not being allowed on it!

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Sounds like something that would wind customers up; I can't imagine they'd be happy seeing the train leave as ECS towards London and not being allowed on it!

Ledbury would be the worst. At least there is an alternate and usually faster route from Hereford which is more expensive but they would pass tickets on under these circumstances. From Ledbury you would need to wait for the next Brum train and hope Virgin will pass your ticket from there.

Minilad

Established Member

I presume you mean in the luggage area of the HST PC as no one in allowed to ride in a rear cab of a HST in case of a fire except a fitter

jimm

Established Member

Assuming the door problem was known about well before departure time - and I'm sure it was given the safety rules for the tunnels - I expect FGW will have arranged road transport - there's not much in it journey-time wise on road or rail between Hereford and Colwall, so all but the very late-comers will probably have been transported in taxis in good time. Alternatively, for anyone off to Reading or London, then a 16.11 Hereford departure travelling via Newport would get them in just over 30 minutes after the direct train.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Assuming the door problem was known about well before departure time - and I'm sure it was given the safety rules for the tunnels - I expect FGW will have arranged road transport - there's not much in it journey-time wise on road or rail between Hereford and Colwall, so all but the very late-comers will probably have been transported in taxis in good time. Alternatively, for anyone off to Reading or London, then a 16.11 Hereford departure travelling via Newport would get them in just over 30 minutes after the direct train.
Not yesterday according to RTT - that "16:11" train (12:32 Holyhead - Maesteg) was terminated at Shrewsbury. The next departure from Hereford to Newport was at 16:45 - the late-running 14:30 Manchester - Milford Haven service.

Status
Not open for further replies.