• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What counts as a reasonable time to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltoast

If I let the booking system decide what's best for me from my journey from London to Wales, it gives me 20 mins to change at BHM, and wants £50.

If I book the two parts separately and choose another train to BHM, it's £25.50.

BUT - that allows a 6 minute change at BHM. Now, it was always the case that when I bought the "all the way" ticket, that when the connection was missed, they'd stick me and whoever else in a taxi to complete the journey (always satisfying to see the meter reading £120 by my house knowing that the next person is the same distance again!).

If I have these two, separate but prebooked tickets, and the Virgin is late and misses the last Arriva train, would they still be under that obligation? What would the "minimum reasonable change time" be if not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
According to this page, the minimum connection time at Birmingham New Street is 12 minutes, so you would probably not be entitled to compensation as the connection is too tight.

As to whether the TOC would leave you abandoned in Birmingham all night, I have no idea.

Polarbear

Established Member
The advertised minimum connection time at Birmingham New Street is 12 minutes.

If you book separate tickets for each leg of your journey & you miss you train because you had left less than 12 minutes to change at New Street, I suspect the TOC concerned wouldn't be under any obligation to honour your ticket if you missed the onward service.

There's no problem with re-booking to save money, but I would leave a suitable gap between trains, especially given that it's New Street.:-?

digitaltoast

Many thanks for the replies - answered the question perfectly. Gonna cost a tenner more, but still £15 less than not splitting.

Thanks again. I didn't realise the site gave that info, now I know and have mentally bookmarked it for other stations!

Status
Not open for further replies.