• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What counts as Manchester STNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

I'm travelling to London in a couple of weeks and my ticket says Manchester STNS. Now I live in Mossley and I purchased the ticket before realizing I wouldn't have my Rail Pass this month, with this said I was wondering does Mossley count as Manchester STNS or are only central zone stations included in this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
As far as I know Manchester Stns is Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Victoria, and Deansgate G-Mex.

telstarbox

Established Member
If you get a ticket from Mossley to Manchester CTLZ (same price as Mossley to Manchester Stns) it will allow you to get the tram across town from Victoria to Piccadilly.

Crossover

Established Member
As far as I know Manchester Stns is Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Victoria, and Deansgate G-Mex.

Certainly the first 3 are, though I'm not 100% on Deansgate.

Manchester Airport ISN'T included, contrary to what many would like to believe!

calc7

Established Member
Mossley does not count as a member of the station group Manchester Stns. This can be confusing and many people a day will make this mistake!

What sort of ticket do you hold? Is it an Off-Peak Return, priced at £74.20, or £49.00 with a railcard? If so, a ticket office should be able to excess the return ticket to a Mossley (Manchester) to London Terminals ticket. It is exactly the same price and so the excess should be 'zero fare'. It is important you get this and do not try travelling from Mossley to Manchester Piccadilly without a valid ticket. You should be able to do this at any staffed station.

clagmonster

Established Member
I'm travelling to London in a couple of weeks and my ticket says Manchester STNS. Now I live in Mossley and I purchased the ticket before realizing I wouldn't have my Rail Pass this month, with this said I was wondering does Mossley count as Manchester STNS or are only central zone stations included in this?
Your ticket won't be valid to travel in from Mossley. However, if you let us know what the ticket type is, your intended departure time from Piccadilly, whether you are returning and whether you are entitled to any discounts we can advise on the best course of action for you to take.

Prodigy

My both my tickets are Advance Singles with one being from Manchester Pic to Euston, and the other being the return leg. My departure from Piccadilly is at 1035 am and my departure from Euston the following day is at 2pm.

Established Member
My both my tickets are Advance Singles with one being from Manchester Pic to Euston, and the other being the return leg. My departure from Piccadilly is at 1035 am and my departure from Euston the following day is at 2pm.

Ticket is from Manchester Victoria, Salford Central, Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road and obviously Piccadilly. Travel via Salford Central is acceptable as far as I know.

Metrolink is strictly off limits as 100% of the money for that ticket goes to Virgin.

If you purchase a ticket from Mossley to the city, CTLZ is produced automatically, which permits tram travel between Victoria, Piccadilly and Deansgate-Castlefield.

gnolife

Established Member
Ticket is from Manchester Victoria, Salford Central, Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road and obviously Piccadilly. Travel via Salford Central is acceptable as far as I know.

Metrolink is strictly off limits as 100% of the money for that ticket goes to Virgin.

If you purchase a ticket from Mossley to the city, CTLZ is produced automatically, which permits tram travel between Victoria, Piccadilly and Deansgate-Castlefield.

Manchester STNS does not include Salford Central, although it is fairly common to break journey there on journeys from the Clitheroe line and the Wigan lines - although thats hardly relevant in this case.

island

Veteran Member
Certainly the first 3 are, though I'm not 100% on Deansgate.

I am. I bought a journey from London Euston to Deansgate G-Mex online and the outbound ticket (an off-peak day single (online only)) printed as LONDON TERMINALS to MANCHESTER STNS route ANY PERMITTED, while the return was DEANSGATE G-MEX to LONDON TERMINALS route VWC & CONNECTNS. (The former ticket caused problems getting past the halfwit barrier to platforms 13/14.)

I don't think Salford Central is a Manchester Station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The origin station is not supposed to be changed on an Advance ticket, so the correct course of action is to purchase the following:

Mossley Manchr [MSL] - Manchester Ctlz [MCZ] Anytime Day Single £3.80
Manchester Ctlz [MCZ] - Mossley Manchr [MSL] Off Peak Day Single £3.50

(I've made the assumption that your outward journey is on a weekday. If it is on a weekend, then you can save 30p with an Off Peak Day Single. These are non-discounted fares).

Next time it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy one ticket from Mossley.

34D

Established Member

Are you suggesting that he can use his piccadilly-London apex to start his journey at Victoria and go (by rail) to Piccadilly?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Are you suggesting that he can use his piccadilly-London apex to start his journey at Victoria and go (by rail) to Piccadilly?
If it is routed 'VWC+Connections' then yes, this would be the case, however this is likely to be routed 'Virgin Only' so I doubt it would be the case :smile:

TP

clagmonster

Established Member
I would be interested to know too. The Group Stations rule does not apply as the origin on the ticket is a member of the Manchester Group. I'm not sure what else can make it valid, so I would be interested to know as I could learn something here.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Whilst through tickets from one side of Manchester to the other do allow travel via Salford Crescent for the purposes of changing trains between Piccadilly and Victoria, I am fairly certain this is not the case for tickets which have their origin as Manchester Stations - particularly if it is an Advance ticket and even more so if the route is Virgin Trains only.

tony_mac

Established Member
Whilst through tickets from one side of Manchester to the other do allow travel via Salford Crescent for the purposes of changing trains between Piccadilly and Victoria, I am fairly certain this is not the case for tickets which have their origin as Manchester Stations - particularly if it is an Advance ticket and even more so if the route is Virgin Trains only.
I don't see why not - you can start from any of the Manchester Stations, and as long as you don't double-back I can't see what would stop you.

Obviously, it would be difficult if it is Virgin only.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't see why not - you can start from any of the Manchester Stations, and as long as you don't double-back I can't see what would stop you.

Obviously, it would be difficult if it is Virgin only.

Forgetting the route on the ticket for now, most people who claim it is valid do so on the basis of it being "within three miles of the shortest route" and/or Victoria and Piccadilly/Oxford Road/Deansgate being part of Manchester Stations. However as the journey is neither the shortest, nor by direct train, easements can apply (not that I know of any).

Status
Not open for further replies.