• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What determines a train as a class 7xx emu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
I'm sure it's already been discussed for which I apologise but can't find the thread.

What makes an EMU a class 7xx ?

I understand sub 100 is locomotives
Sub 300 is diesel multiple units

Classes 300 up to 508 being electric, varying power types , including dual modes like 377/7s (DC and AC), but 700s are like 319s in that they're dual mode too.
So what defines a 7xx unit? To use those numbers instead of the last of 4xx and 5xx

Is it the gangways between the units , in that they're walkthrough without doors?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think 7xx is just any EMU, isn't it? Being used as 3xx has nearly run out of numbers?

4xx and 5xx are third rail only EMUs, I don't think there are any of these on order, as a minimum they have pantograph wells and passive provision for installation, I think? (4xx is South East, 5xx is non-South East e.g. Merseyrail).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm sure it's already been discussed for which I apologise but can't find the thread.

Classes 300 up to 508 being electric, varying power types , including dual modes like 377/7s (DC and AC), but 700s are like 319s in that they're dual mode too.
So what defines a 7xx unit? To use those numbers instead of the last of 4xx and 5xx

Is it the gangways between the units , in that they're walkthrough without doors?
There was a thread started Sunday in the rolling stock sub forum here:

DanNCL

Established Member

It's an overflow for the 3xx range and can be used for any new class that previously would have been allocated a number in the 3xx range, though the spare numbers in the 3xx range can be used too.

The ranges if I recall correctly are as follows:
0-19 Shunters
20-79 (excl 73) diesel locomotives
73 ex southern region bi-mode locomotives
80-96 electric and bi-mode locomotives
100-199 diesel multiple units with mechanical or hydraulic transmission
200-299 diesel multiple units with electric transmission (not bi-modes)
300-399 electric multiple units using overhead wires and dual voltage units
400-499 third rail multiple units (Southern region)
500-599 third rail multiple units (rest of UK, now only used for Merseyrail)
600-699 diesel/alternative fuel multiple units, not currently used
700-749 electric multiple units, top speed 110mph or less
750-799 was supposed to be bi-mode units, although the allocation of class 777 to the new Merseyrail units goes against this
800-899 new "high speed" units, so far only used for units built by Hitachi
900-999 departmental units

Status
Not open for further replies.